Transfer eligilbilty
bhliv

I currently have 4 phones on my contract and 2 of them are eligible for upgrades.  However the one that I need to upgrade is not, now I know that you can transfer eligibilty on the Verizon Website when buying a new phone from the Verizon Website.  However, I want to buy a phone from another website, because it is cheaper there, so is there a way to transfer eligibilty from one line to another and save the transfer request without having to purchase a phone.  Therefore the other website would then see that my phone is actually eligible.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Transfer eligilbilty
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Be careful when trying to save a few bucks with online companies other than Verizon - you may or may not be able to use another line's upgrade when using a third party online vendor.  What company are you trying to buy from? 

Some allow you to buy at a lower price, yes, but there are restrictions - such as only using it on the eligible line, or not making any changes to your plan for 6 months.  Swapping lines would result in penalty fees, probably more than the money you saved by purchasing there rather than Verizon.

The "transfer request" doesn't actually make the other line eligible; it simply allows you to use one line's eligibility to purchase a discounted phone.  Verizon allows you to use that phone on any of your plan lines; not all third party companies will do the same.

Hope that makes sense.

bhliv

I was looking at Wirefly.  I am wanting to just get a basic, non smartphone, which the choices are getting limited.  Verizon has the Extravert for 49.99 with the upgrade discount, but wirefly has it for free with upgrade.  That is why I was asking about transferring the upgrade.  But what I was looking to do, doesn't sound like it would work anyway.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

bhliv wrote:

I was looking at Wirefly.  I am wanting to just get a basic, non smartphone, which the choices are getting limited.  Verizon has the Extravert for 49.99 with the upgrade discount, but wirefly has it for free with upgrade.  That is why I was asking about transferring the upgrade.  But what I was looking to do, doesn't sound like it would work anyway.

Wirefly is one of the companies that has phones for little to no upfront cost, but they have many restrictions, among them transferring the upgrade from one line to another.  If you try to make ANY changes, they'll slap you with outrageous fees.  So it's a deal if you can live with the terms, but you lose the freedom of swapping out phones, and changing your plan as needed.

Spend a little extra for the phone now, for peace of mind and flexibility down the road.

0 Likes