Transferring media to new phone
hotnaz
I was on the website reading that you have the option to transfer the media files from your old phone to a new phone within a certain amount of time (can't remember exactly) and you can transfer one time only, on the vzw site it shows all the app's I have downloaded to my old phone and gives the option to checkmark which ones I want to transfer, but will not let me checkmark the ones I want, such as ringtones & games, has anyone done this? Also I have issues with the song id app on the LG dare, works intermittently.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Transferring media to new phone
Tsuchida

I have the EXACT same problem as you do. However, I went as far as calling Verizon "Customer Service" to ask them why. I even made a post about the outcome of the call:

http://community.vzw.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=Wireless_features&thread.id=685

In short, we and others in the same boat are HOSED. Doesn't matter if your phone was under warranty, broken, stolen, upgraded, etc. Verizon's official stance it that ALL media (games, utilities, ring tones, etc) are "single point license" and ONLY good for the phone it was downloaded to. No tranfers, so sorry..have a nice day. Apparently "Customer Service" never heard of the one time transfer within a time limit and they DO NOT CARE. The convo I had with them was over 70 hours ago and I was assured a manager would contact me within 24-48 hours. So much for "Customer Service".

I looked up iPhone plans, while expensive, they ALLOW you to transfer your items from one iPhone to another. It'll cost over $260USD  for my wife to repurchase all of her content for her new Verizon phone (games and ring tones). Heck... I'm thinking on switching to iPhone and AT&T. It'll be cheaper in the long run AND less hassle.

I'm going to give Verizon "Customer Service" a call and see why they haven't called me as promised and if that and a visit to my local Verizon store doesn't result in my media being transferred, my wife and I will do what we did with T-Mobile over 4 years ago..we'll tell everyone about the problem. So far we've told over 400 about how horrible T-Mobile is (Spotty coverage, unreliable phones and substandard customer service).

I'll post what the outcome is.

0 Likes
DaniLove13
Contributor - Level 3

hotnaz wrote:
I was on the website reading that you have the option to transfer the media files from your old phone to a new phone within a certain amount of time (can't remember exactly) and you can transfer one time only, on the vzw site it shows all the app's I have downloaded to my old phone and gives the option to checkmark which ones I want to transfer, but will not let me checkmark the ones I want, such as ringtones & games, has anyone done this? Also I have issues with the song id app on the LG dare, works intermittently.

If the new phone is an UPGRADE, you will indeed need to repurchase all of your content. If the new phone is a WARRANTY REPLACEMENT, the fees are waived for retreiving already purchased content.

As far as the Song ID, have you tried deleting it and reinstalling? That may help.

0 Likes
Tsuchida

Not true. I asked customer service concerning three scenarios:

1) The phone broke but was not under warranty so a new phone is purchased or the existing phone is upgraded to take advantage of the 2yr discount.

2) The phone was fine but upgraded to take advantage of the 2yr discount .

3) The phone was replaced under warranty.

The answer from customer service for ALL scenarios:

You must repurchase all games, media and ring tones.

Doesn't matter what the website tells you. All that matters is the 0pt font "conditions" on your contract which states that ALL media, games, ring tones, etc have a "single point license" that is only valid for the phone it is downloaded to. This license cannot (and Verizon refuses to allow) be transferred from one phone to another. Customer service told me this is due to the legally binding agreement they have with the song writers and makers/distributers of the media, games and ring tones.

In short. Warranty or no. Phone broken or not. Upgrading or not. If you purchase ANY media, game or ringtone for your Verizon phone you MUST repurchase them if you wish to use them on a different phone.

0 Likes
DaniLove13
Contributor - Level 3

Tsuchida wrote:

Not true. I asked customer service concerning three scenarios:

1) The phone broke but was not under warranty so a new phone is purchased or the existing phone is upgraded to take advantage of the 2yr discount.

2) The phone was fine but upgraded to take advantage of the 2yr discount .

3) The phone was replaced under warranty.

The answer from customer service for ALL scenarios:

You must repurchase all games, media and ring tones.

Doesn't matter what the website tells you. All that matters is the 0pt font "conditions" on your contract which states that ALL media, games, ring tones, etc have a "single point license" that is only valid for the phone it is downloaded to. This license cannot (and Verizon refuses to allow) be transferred from one phone to another. Customer service told me this is due to the legally binding agreement they have with the song writers and makers/distributers of the media, games and ring tones.

In short. Warranty or no. Phone broken or not. Upgrading or not. If you purchase ANY media, game or ringtone for your Verizon phone you MUST repurchase them if you wish to use them on a different phone.

I actually work in customer service, and I've always been allowed to credit back fees when someone had to redownload for a warranty replacement. I don't know who you talked to, but customer service IS allowed to give credit for redownloaded content as long as its a WARRANTY REPLACEMENT.

And on the website I think you can only do the media retrieval for stuff that was purchased in the last 90 days or somethin weird.

0 Likes
terok-nor

Saw a number of posts on this. Had an issue with my Samsung - would not take a charge from AC Adapter (would from car charger though wierd) and since the Verizon store could not give me a replacement device, I had to upgrade. Could not get my ringtones from the "MyMedia" area. Called Technical Support and they tried to give me the same line of "have to purchase them again as this was not an upgrade under warranty". After telling him that they could not replace it with a like device and the device failed, he quickly credited me and then sent the ringtone (via text) to my phone and credited my account. Something you may want to try if you get into this jam.

0 Likes