Unable to setup call forwarding, get call cannot be completed message instead
xibir

I recently received an iPhone 4S from my employer for my work phone. Rather than carry two phones I was simply going to forward the calls from my work phone to my personal phone. I've read countless posts on how to do this - *72 1234567890 (where 1-0 is the 10-digit number I would like it forwarded to), so I'm confident I am doing it correctly.

When I dial this from the work phone though, it rings twice and I receive the following message:

"Welcome to Verizon Wireless. Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please check the number and try again. Announcement 4, Switch 17-1."

I have checked with my telecom manager at work and they have said that the feature is enabled and while they don't prefer that we do that, they're not doing anything to block the feature. But, seeing as I do not have access to log into the account online myself, I have no way to verify that the feature is actually turned on. I try the feature from my personal phone and it works immediately with no issue dialing the same digits that fail on the work phone.

Can anyone tell me if the message I'm receiving means that the feature is actually disabled, or is there something else going on here?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unable to setup call forwarding, get call cannot be completed message instead
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try dialing *73 and SEND to cancel any current call forwarding, or possibly pending call forwarding, on the work phone.   Do you get the confirmation tones?

If you do, then try *72 and the ten digit number, and SEND again. 

Is there an app installed on the iPhone that would supercede this feature? 

0 Likes
Re: Unable to setup call forwarding, get call cannot be completed message instead
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Xibir,

Oh no! Call forwarding is a great feature, and I am sad to hear that your having issues activating this feature. Let's get this fixed. To set an Immediate Call Forwarding from your work phone,
  • Dial *72 then the 10-digit phone number of your personal phone.
  • press Send and wait for confirmation beeps/message, and
  • press End.

If this does not work, please accept my follow & send us a Private message with your work mobile number. We can set this forwarding up for you.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsuport

0 Likes
xibir

Dialing *73 does give me the expected 3 tones for canceling existing/pending call forwarding.

Dialing the setup sequence again after that still gets the same response about the call cannot be completed. As for apps, not that I can see, it is a new/freshly wiped iPhone 4S so only the stock apps are on it. I am going to shoot a direct message to PamelaF_VZW below and see what she can do. Thanks much!

0 Likes
xibir

Still having the same issue after following the standard steps. I will send you a message shortly. Thank you!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Keep in mind BEFORE you can send a message to , you would first have to send a follow request to her. She has to accept your follow request and send one to you. You would have to accept her follow request. THEN AND ONLY THEN will you be able to send a message. Good luck.

0 Likes
xibir

Message sent and fingers crossed. Thanks!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you xibir. We will await your PM. As an option for immediate assistance we also have a direct line for customer support at 800-922-0204, which is toll free from a landline or alternate phone.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

xibir,

I am glad that you have sent a PM. Pam is currently out of the office but we do want to get this figured out. Can you please follow me TonyG_VZW and then send me a direct message. If Pam has already responded you can disregard this but we want to be sure.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
fabdesigner

I have exact same problem since January.  I have spent 12+ hours on the phone and 5 + hours in chat. Engineering said they fixed it, but when people call with a private number it gives the same message as this clients...  You are not taking calls, and when I was on chat it kept timing me out, and I would have to start all over again - even though I have told them it has to go to engineering. All I want to do is forward my calls if I am not able to answer to my answering service...  It worked for years and just started messing up in January.  I have lost countless clients because I never know when it just turns itself off.  With the discovery that it still gives this stupid message to private numbers...who know how many lost clients.  Can anyone help?

0 Likes