Unlimited Data Questions...
Bawkinator

Hey guys,

I have a few questions regarding ulimited data on my plan. I am on a plan with one other person. We share at total of 400 anytime minutes. We each have our own UNLIMITED data plans at $30 a month. We had both got Droid 1/Milestones when they came out. A year and some went by and i had recieved a Upgrade card in the mail. I used the card to purchase my Droid RAZR on 11/11/11. I was still enrolled in the UNLIMITED data plan at that point. Unlimited data was nixed as a plan on 11/28/11 which didnt effect me then but it does NOW as i am trying to upgrade to a newer phone due to speed and camera clearity. The person i am on the plan with still has their Droid 1/Milestone and ISN'T planning on upgrading ANYTIME soon. I recently recieved a text saying i could upgrade but would lose data. I use anywhere from 4.6-5.8gb of data a month because i do not have WiFi in my place of work, school, or at home.

For my questions:

1.) If i upgrade and renew for 2 years with a new phone i lose my unlimited data, correct?

2.) If the other person on my contract upgrades and then we switch phones she will lose unlimited as well

but will that effect my phone number plan?

3.) I was told that i would be paying $810 total over 18 months if i upgrade to a higher data gb plan because

it would jump from $30 a month to $75 a month which is $45 more. $45 times 18 months equals $810.

Would it be more cost effective to BUY a phone at RETAIL and then activate it?

3a.) Would Verizon charge for that?

3b.) Would that remove my grandfather?

3c.) Was the information i recieved from Verizon correct?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlimited Data Questions...
Not applicable

Bawkinator wrote:

Hey guys,

For my questions:

1.) If i upgrade and renew for 2 years with a new phone i lose my unlimited data, correct?

2.) If the other person on my contract upgrades and then we switch phones she will lose unlimited as well

but will that effect my phone number plan?

3.) I was told that i would be paying $810 total over 18 months if i upgrade to a higher data gb plan because

it would jump from $30 a month to $75 a month which is $45 more. $45 times 18 months equals $810.

Would it be more cost effective to BUY a phone at RETAIL and then activate it?

3a.) Would Verizon charge for that?

3b.) Would that remove my grandfather?

3c.) Was the information i recieved from Verizon correct?

1) Yes

2) Each line has their own contract. You can swap upgrades dates. The person who the upgrade originally belonged to will lose their unlimited data.

3) Not sure where the 18 months come in since you can only upgrade once every 24 months. The 5 GB plan is $50 a month( or $20 more ) and the 10 GB plan is $80 a month( or $50 more )

3a) Charge for what? data? More data you use the more it costs. That's how a tiered data plan works.

3b) because Verizon wants to get people off of unlimited data plans. This policy has been in effect for nearly 11 months now.

3c) yes and no.

0 Likes
maxters

I'm sorta in the same boat.. Have unlimited data.. We have 2 phones, use 2-3GB /month..

Curious if it's better to buy 2 Phones at full retail keeping unlimited data plan we have now..

OR...

Get the discount on both phones and the 2GB data plan and just pay the $10, overages, we figure we'd be hitting 4-5 GB about 50% of the time..... 

The math gets complicated, and I don't know what the future holds..

0 Likes
Not applicable

Math isn't hard at all. If the phones are say $600 full price and $200 on discount the difference is $400 subtract the $30 upgrade fee and the total difference is $370 per phone plus taxes. Two phones and that $740( as I said plus taxes so probably close to $800 ). Over 24 months that's around $34 a month.

Just remember on old pricing you each get 2 GB and you can't share that data. So if you use 1 G and she uses 3 GB even though that's 4 GB you will be paying overages on the one phone. Or if you both say use 2.5 GB you both will be paying a $10 overage fee since you both went over and overages are rounded up to the nearest GB. As I said depending on what you exact plans is now Share Everything may be cheaper.

0 Likes
Bawkinator

3a.) I was talking about a charge for activation of the phone when i go in to replace the sims and get my IMEI authorized.

I had forgot to mention that we both HAD upgrades avalible but hers expired due to waiting too long. (i dont understand that one) We pay our bill on time every month and in full so we recieved upgrade notices 18 months after purchase/renew of a contract.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like your wife had the NE2 credit. The credit has expired, but the upgrade is still available of it hasn't been used.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Bawkinator wrote:

3a.) I was talking about a charge for activation of the phone when i go in to replace the sims and get my IMEI authorized.

I had forgot to mention that we both HAD upgrades avalible but hers expired due to waiting too long. (i dont understand that one) We pay our bill on time every month and in full so we recieved upgrade notices 18 months after purchase/renew of a contract.

Upgrades fees have been around since April of 2012. You don't get charge if you just need a new SIM or you want to swap out phones. Upgrade discounts also don't expire. If she had a New Every 2 discount then yes that is no longer available.

0 Likes
Not applicable

on april 15, 2013 ne2 credits expired just to be exact Smiley Happy

also for existing customers with an upgrade eligibility date of 09/01/2013 or later will be moved from 20 to 24 months this change came into effect april 21, 2013 just an fyi

0 Likes
keep_unlimited

>>Personal information and spam removed per <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes