Unlimited Data?
Justino53008

I have been a Verizon customer for the past 8 years or so, and have more or less enjoyed my time here. I have an HTC Thunderbolt and was grandfathered in for unlimited data 2 years ago. It is now time for an upgrade and I was looking at the iPhone 5. However, I am not the only person on my plan. My Verizon plan contains 4 separate lines and we all have unlimited data. I want to upgrade, but if I do everyone will lose their plan and we will be forced into a tiered plan. Straight Talk from walmart offers the iPhone 5 for $600 and unlimited talk text and data for $25 a month for 26 months. This is already cheaper than Verizon, so my question is, is there any way I can upgrade and keep unlimited data (without buying an unlocked phone), or go with Straight Talk when I graduate in a few months and save some money and not have to worry about data charges?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlimited Data?
Dorkmaster
Contributor - Level 2

If you buy the phone from Verizon for full retail price, you can keep your old call and data plan. You can also get the phone else where, just don't buy at Verizon's subsidized price.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MankatoMN12
Contributor - Level 2

If you upgrade a line with Verizon that has unlimited it will go to 2GB (or higher) plan, if you pay full retail you can keep it.

Straight Talk doesn't have anything above Android 2.3... let alone any iPhones... where are you getting that from? 

0 Likes
Dorkmaster
Contributor - Level 2

If you buy the phone from Verizon for full retail price, you can keep your old call and data plan. You can also get the phone else where, just don't buy at Verizon's subsidized price.

0 Likes
Justino53008

Saw a stand in the store today. Brand new anouncement I assume.

0 Likes
doesvzcare
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also on the unlimited data plan and have upgrades due on our phones.  Verizon told me that I can keep my unlimited data plan and still upgrade, that it does not automatically mean I have to change my plan. I also ask about the other 3 lines on my account that are basic phones and was told that they could also upgrade to a smartphone and each line would be on it's own unlimited data plan.  If we wanted to change to the share everything plan that is an option, but if one line changes to the share everything plan then they all have to change. Plus, the 5GB for $50 a month that I have on the 4GLTE jetpack will also have to change to the share everything plan if the phones change to the share everything plan.  I ask my questions through the chat online service and had the transcript of the chat emailed to my email just in case when I decide what I want to do I will have the chat to refer to if a different Verizon rep tells me something different.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

doesvzcare wrote:

I also ask about the other 3 lines on my account that are basic phones and was told that they could also upgrade to a smartphone and each line would be on it's own unlimited data plan.

This is not correct - if the phone currently on the line is a BASIC phone, and you are upgrading to a smartphone, whether you pay full price or not, the new, added data plan will be a tiered, 2 GB for $30 and up.  The only line with a chance of keeping the unlimited plan is the line that currently has it.

You can pay full price for a phone for that line, or you can upgrade one of the basic phones and then swap it to the unlimited line to keep the unlimited for a smartphone.  The other three lines can ONLY add a tiered data, or move to the Share Everything, which is unlimited minutes and texting, but shared, tiered data.

0 Likes
doesvzcare
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is the information that I was told by the Verizon Wireless customer service person that I spoke with.  According to what she told me the data packages would be the same as my data package if the other 3 lines were upgraded to the smartphones because they are under my plan.  Whether or not the Verizon Customer Support is correct is not for me to decide.  If the information provided to me by the Verizon customer service representative is not correct I do not know how that would be handled.  This is why I ask my questions to the customer service through the live chat service so that I can have the transcript emailed to me and verify what I have been told should a problem arise.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Sorry unlimited has not be offered as an option since July 2011. No amount of transcripts is going to change that.

Mr_NightRyder
Enthusiast - Level 1

You'll lose the unlimited data on upgrade... just found that out the hard way tonight.  So I shall share my story and there will be an ongoing discussion with upper management on getting my data plan back.

Last night I called in because I wanted to upgrade my phone.  The reason for my calling is I had looked online and noticed that it was almost forcing me to relinquish my data plan and go down to a lower end plan.  I spoke with the individual about my concerns and told him that I was rather frustrated that I'd have to give this up (and I was very polite about it) the representative I spoke with then proceeded to advise me that I had an option to re obtain the plan.  He told me if I called back w/in x amt of days after changing and asked for it back then I'd be eligible to obtain it back.  I was satisfied with this information and I decided that it probably would be best to go ahead and complete the product upgrade.  In the process of doing this the plan was changed.  I decided to call back and discuss the issue with customer support who in turn told me that its not possible to re obtain it.  I was also told that since the notes stated exactly what the individual and myself had discussed and it was on a recorded line I should seek legal counsel.  I'll be honest I don't want to seek legal counsel over this since its such a tiny thing.  Fact however is in my notes its documented that I could upgrade call in and request it back and was stated on a recorded line.  At this point I'm basically screwed because I can't get it back.  With all this being said the Customer Support office offered me an option of disconnecting my plan with no penalty.  This seems to me to be a very unsatisfactory answer since not only would i lose a phone and have to go to another provider but they would also lose a customer.  I was provided an address which was allegedly the escalation office however I find it highly unlike this is an accurate address for a ceo level escalation.  I'm hoping someone w/in the Verizon org reads this because I would love to speak with someone on the executive level about this prior to going through the appropriate legal channels.

Regards

Rob M

gwhiz72
Enthusiast - Level 3

<Duplicate post deleted for cross posting violations per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.  See link for the original message.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes