Unlimited Hotspot Data Usage
Rusty48
Enthusiast - Level 1

With the present "unlimited" plan, hotspot data is limited to 10GB, then speed is reduced to 3G.  Is there a tool that allows the customer to monitor their hotspot usage during the billing period?  Thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlimited Hotspot Data Usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's a great question. Usage can be monitored via your MyVerizon data utilization calculator. If you exceed the 10GB hotspot, you still have the 22GB total to use for the device itself before prioritization occurs.

TylerK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's a great question. Usage can be monitored via your MyVerizon data utilization calculator. If you exceed the 10GB hotspot, you still have the 22GB total to use for the device itself before prioritization occurs.

TylerK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
RLR9X20
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was told to switch to the unlimited plan because of an issue with bandwidth at my local cell tower which causes file servers to keep downloading over and over using up my data and there is nothing going to be done about it. After switching I find that my hotspot downloads at 50 kb/s. I check on myverizon and find my hotspot has been throttled back to 3G because data is over 10GB. My previous 12GB data plan did not do this. My question is why is the hotspot being throttled back since I am paying more for the data plan than I was before for the same devices? Will my phone mobile hotspot service also be throttled back? If so I will need to cancel this plan and revert back to what I had because this would be pretty useless for me. Yes verizon cellular is my only internet provider.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You may want to purchase a hotspot with service from Unlimitedville.

Verizon would be the "Red" plan. Yes, it is a bit expensive for 1 device but there is no data limit and no throttling, or so it claims. If you have usable service from one of the other big 4 providers in your area, you may be able to get away with one of the other plans at a lower cost.

0 Likes
WILBAC37
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon is about to lose a customer with limiting there hot spot. I don't pay 265 bucks a month to have unlimited limited. They are being stupid. Guess I should go somewhere else with my money. Great job Verizon. Wasn't limited when it first came out. Have bills to prove it.

CHEPED37
Enthusiast - Level 1

Agreed!  Ive been a customer since 1994, you'd think they would show some loyalty back.  I had an unlimited plan and the rep told me I had to give it up!  I was sucker.  Now I'm stuck with this horrible plan!  I try to hardly use it and it runs out of high speed data within the first week!  I travel fulltime and need a hotspot.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

CHEPED37 wrote:

Agreed! Ive been a customer since 1994, you'd think they would show some loyalty back. I had an unlimited plan and the rep told me I had to give it up! I was sucker. Now I'm stuck with this horrible plan! I try to hardly use it and it runs out of high speed data within the first week! I travel fulltime and need a hotspot.

If you go thru 15 GB of 4G LTE speed data within the 1st week, it doesn't sound as if you "hardly use it".

If you were told you had to give up your old grandfathered unlimited data plan, it was because you were in the 1% of highest data users. When you consider using 15 GB within the 1st week of your billing cycle as "hardly" using data, I can understand why you were in that category of data users.

You may want to look into unlimitedville.com which states its hotspot data is not throttled at all. It is more expensive than Verizon's unlimited plan, but is not subject to the same restrictions. They have plans for all 4 of the major carriers, with Verizon being the "Red" plan. While they claim their plans are never throttled, at least 1 poster on this forum has reported their data has been throttled on their plan, however that is the only claim I have seen about data being throttled on unlimitedville.com.

0 Likes
Re: Data Usage
TommyMike

What eats up my data limit so much?

0 Likes