Unlimited Plan w/ Limits
Gary_Glo_Tam

So today, I receive a notification that I only have 10% hotspot usage for the remainder of the month, and that my speed would be reduced until next billing cycle.  I have the unlimited data plan and was under the impression that my data plan was actually unlimited.  But, apparently Verizon has limits on how much data they deem as unlimited.  My issue is that if Verizon is going to offer unlimited data, then that is what it should be.  Putting restrictions on data usage, by reducing data speed, when a customer hits a certain amount of data during a giving billing cycles, seems to be to in violation of that unlimited agreement. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlimited Plan w/ Limits
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unlimited refers to the lack of hard caps. No matter how much data is used, the monthly bill will be the same.

In regards to the data limit message, all of the major cellular service providers have soft caps for data usage. Exceed a certain amount within a single billing cycle and data speed can be throttled or deprioritized in the event of network congestion.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The terms and conditions or restrictions were part of the Verizon Unlimited Plan from the beginning and was noted in the announcement. The Go Unlimited and Beyond Unlimited Plans modified but kept the same restrictions.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Gary_Glo_Tam wrote:

So today, I receive a notification that I only have 10% hotspot usage for the remainder of the month, and that my speed would be reduced until next billing cycle. I have the unlimited data plan and was under the impression that my data plan was actually unlimited. But, apparently Verizon has limits on how much data they deem as unlimited. 

No, your data is not being limited. You are STILL allowed to use data after you go through the remaining 10% of your "high speed" hotspot. You STILL get more data. IF it were "limited" you would not be able to get additional data after reaching that threshold, which is not the case.

THIS is the plan you signed up for. If you thought it was not this way, you didn't understand the plan. If you are unhappy with the way the plan works, you can go back to a metered data plan and pay for usage above the caps you set for yourself. On the "unlimited" plan, you DON'T pay for usage above the caps Verizon has set. THAT is why it is called "unlimited". It is not called an "unlimited high speed data" plan. It is simply called "unlimited".

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Looks like you didn't read the plan details and just assumed what the plan was and didn't bother to read what you were signing up for.

If you saw a half naked man on a book cover would you automatically assume that the book was about half naked men?

MICTAL67
Enthusiast - Level 2

A unlimited plan with limits placed on it of any nature, soft, hard, or other, is not unlimited, it is limited. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

MICTAL67 wrote:

A unlimited plan with limits placed on it of any nature, soft, hard, or other, is not unlimited, it is limited.

actually unlimited has specifics and not in general which is the problem.  People see unlimited and think in general, but when it's an adjective it has a specific.

Unlimited data does not equal unlimited bandwidth.  Data and Bandwidth are two different things by definition.  This is why the FCC, FTC, and Courts have done nothing because they understand the difference between the two.

When Verizon had tiered data plans where you paid overages.  It wasn't unlimited data, but unlimited bandwidth.  They didn't slow you down for any reason, but of course you had to pay for the data you consumed.

MICTAL67
Enthusiast - Level 2

A limit of any nature is still limited, not unlimited. Doesn't matter if the limit is placed on data or bandwith the service is still limited. Saying its a adjective or a noun doesn't change the fact that a limit as been placed on it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

No it isn't.  Time is a limit to unlimited so therefore nothing is unlimited.  Cost is a limit to unlimited so therefore nothing is unlimited.  As long as you have the plan is a limit therefore nothing is unlimited.  Battery life is a limit so therefore nothing is unlimited.  See where I am going here?  This is what happens when you use that argument.

So uhm yah...  Unlimited when used as an adjective is specific not general.

MICTAL67
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unlimited | Define Unlimited at Dictionary.com

www.dictionary.com/browse/unlimitedadjective. 1. without limits or bounds: unlimited knowledge. 2. not restricted, limited, or qualified:unlimited power.
it is not without limits or bounds, it is restricted, it is limited, it is qualified, it is not unlimited.
you should use your law degree for better purposes, if your not a lawyer you should be, you can twist the words around like a pro.
0 Likes