Unlimited data plan question???
rmwaltermyer

OK, I get it about the "unlimited data" plan going away and Verizon squeezing every penny out of their customer base, since they have a best-network monopoly.  The way I understand it, if I want to keep mine, I have to keep my phone.  If I want to get a new phone, I will have to pay full price to keep it - right?  How about if I buy an "unlocked" phone from another source and do the online activation?  TIA, Mike...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlimited data plan question???
lingo
Contributor - Level 1

Yes that is fine as long as the phone is Verizon compatible.

You will not lose your unlimited data because you are not upgrading.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lingo
Contributor - Level 1

Yes that is fine as long as the phone is Verizon compatible.

You will not lose your unlimited data because you are not upgrading.

0 Likes
Intocable
Contributor - Level 2

as long the phone is verizon compliant everything should be ok.

0 Likes
Intocable
Contributor - Level 2

go on swappa lots of affordable phones there.

0 Likes
rmwaltermyer

How do I know if the phone is Verizon compatible?  Does it have to be a phone that Verizon currently offers?  Thanks!

0 Likes
rmwaltermyer

One more thing - if I get a 4G phone, will it work with my current "unlimited" data plan?  Thanks!!!

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Yes it has to be a 'Verizon branded' phone.  In almost all cases it will have a Verizon label on it. 

Any other phones (such as phones from Sprint or other CDMA competitors) will not have their ESN (Equipment Serial Number) in the Verizon database and therefore will not be allowed to be activated on the network.  And no, Verizon will not add those "unlocked" phones to their database.

Tidbits
Legend

Spiral wrote:

Yes it has to be a 'Verizon branded' phone.  In almost all cases it will have a Verizon label on it. 

Any other phones (such as phones from Sprint or other CDMA competitors) will not have their ESN (Equipment Serial Number) in the Verizon database and therefore will not be allowed to be activated on the network.  And no, Verizon will not add those "unlocked" phones to their database.

While true to a T there is a slight difference which will come into effect when VoLTE comes into effect.  Verizon will be 100% GSM and it would be no different than AT&T or T-Mobile when it comes to unlocked phones.

I believe when VoLTE happens there will no longer be voice/text packages.  It will be just a lump of data which can be used for Voice/Text/Data.

0 Likes