Re: Unlimited data price increase(Greedy Verizon)
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Carriers don't want you on unlimited. It is not profitable for them. You avoid the rate hike by taking a tiered plan that fits your usage. If the tiered plans are more expensive for your usage then pay the $20 and go about your day. Or better yet, stop using so much data.

NewDroidArt

I am pretty disappointed with the increase of price with the unlimited data plan. The main reason i kept it was so I didn't have to worry about going over, and because I still get a corporate discount on the data, which they don't offer anymore. I have 450 minutes, no texting, and unlimited data, and I pay $60 / month and that includes all the taxes and my corporate discount. I use about 1.8 GB of data per month, though in February 2015 I used 3 GB for whatever reason. What plan would you recommend? Or stick with what I have and pay the extra $20 since if I change plans, I will also lose my 18% discount on data too?

0 Likes
jalecbronson
Enthusiast - Level 3

In situations like toI always try to remind myself that at east I'm not dealing with Comcast. That usually helps a bit. Still, this is pretty sneaky, I just bought a phone with verizon and you know they knew this was coming. Why can't companies just be more up front with the people who keep them in business with their money. Some of us can barely afford to get by. Not cool Verizon.Verizon Wireless Customer Support

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

NewDroidArt wrote:

I am pretty disappointed with the increase of price with the unlimited data plan. The main reason i kept it was so I didn't have to worry about going over, and because I still get a corporate discount on the data, which they don't offer anymore. I have 450 minutes, no texting, and unlimited data, and I pay $60 / month and that includes all the taxes and my corporate discount. I use about 1.8 GB of data per month, though in February 2015 I used 3 GB for whatever reason. What plan would you recommend? Or stick with what I have and pay the extra $20 since if I change plans, I will also lose my 18% discount on data too?

If you are paying about $60 now then the extra $20 would be around $80-$85. If you consistently use less than 3GB then you can get the M plan. If it 3GB with unlimited talk and text and should be $57 before tax. If you use more than 3GB then you can do the L plan for 6GB would $70 before talk but if you're going to pay that much I would pay the $80 and have unlimited data.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

jalecbronson wrote:

In situations like toI always try to remind myself that at east I'm not dealing with Comcast. That usually helps a bit. Still, this is pretty sneaky, I just bought a phone with verizon and you know they knew this was coming. Why can't companies just be more up front with the people who keep them in business with their money. Some of us can barely afford to get by. Not cool Verizon.Verizon Wireless Customer Support

Whether the employees knew about the change or not, they're not allowed to tell you. They are under contract. It is like a trade secret clause or something. Verizon is not in business to tell us about all of the things happening in a month. It is here and now. If you don't want to pay the extra $20 you can change your plan now or you can take your phone back (within the 14 days) and get your money back less the $35 restock fee and pick another carrier. Maybe one that still offers unlimited.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why go to AT&T when they lack unlimited plans? They are just as evil as Verizon in terms of their unlimited data customers, and are probably a bit on the cheap side if you've dealt with them on an engineering level. Either stick with your unlimited data plan and milk it for all it's worth (they are like gold), or get a new phone supporting T-Mobile's Band 12 spectrum and go to T-Mobile. T-Mobile's coverage might be less, but you can either buy unlimited data from them, or get a limited data plan with unlimited music streaming, and be throttled to 2G data speeds when you hit your cap instead of paying overages.

The new Nexus phones are a good bet for "Carrier hopping" since they support all of the major CDMA, GSM, and LTE bands used by all four US carriers. The same deal goes for the new iPhone 6s/6s+.

entitlementisanissue

I noticed no one stated (or o overlooked it) that this increase allows you to buy a phone on the device payment program without loosing your unlimited data. Before you had to pay full retail UP FRONT or lose it. Now you have another option to getting a new phone.

0 Likes
NewDroidArt

If you are paying about $60 now then the extra $20 would be around $80-$85. If you consistently use less than 3GB then you can get the M plan. If it 3GB with unlimited talk and text and should be $57 before tax. If you use more than 3GB then you can do the L plan for 6GB would $70 before talk but if you're going to pay that much I would pay the $80 and have unlimited data

I'm not sure I understood the numbers you quoted above.

In my current plan, I'm paying $40 for 450 minutes, $30 for unlimited data, and then minus discounts + taxes, about $63. I'd pay another $20 per this fee.

For 3 GB of data, it seems that plan is $45. How much does the phone part of it cost? Or is that unlimited minutes, unlimited texting. Would I have to pay a $20 line fee? Trying to understand how you calculated $57 There's a possiblity here that I'd lose unlimited data, but get more minutes, and get texting. Could be a good deal.

My wife also pays $40 for 450 minutes and $30 for GB of data. She really wants texting and more minutes. We have separate plans.

If it was us on shared data, then 6 GB may make sense. Would we pay $20 x 2 per line in addition? That would be less than the $150 we pay right now

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Yes, you would have to pay the $20 line access fee per line. So that price you see for the plan you want, add $20. If your wife also switches add another $20.

0 Likes
Shebabliss
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nationwide customers kind of had a line access fee - its $9.99 for each additional line, and let's not forget that they pay a separate $29.99 fee for each 2GB or Unlimited Plan for each smartphone. But in a strict sense, the additional 10 bucks per line would be an access fee - you're just accessing minutes instead of data.

The increase charge sucks, but is reasonable if you truly need the unlimited. It still stings though

0 Likes