Unlimited plan get throttle down, to 3g but not really 3g
Jandt1492
Enthusiast - Level 1

Unlimited plan get throttle down, to 3g but not really the 3g speed is only 600kbps. Not like the old 3g. I got throttle down to 0.01 I basically have no servicelll. Warning to you all.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlimited plan get throttle down, to 3g but not really 3g
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Grannin, I know how important it is to get great speeds and service. We value your loyalty, and we certainly don't want to see you go. If you are on the Verizon unlimited plan and have used more than 22GB of data on your smartphone, you may experience some temporary slowness at times. You can see more information about how this works here: http://spr.ly/658685xbu

If you are using a mobile hotspot, you will be reduced to 3G speeds for the hotspot device only after 10GB are used on your plan. Our link to the Unlimited Plan FAQ includes information on this as well. If you have not exceeded 22GB, or 10GB for hotspot, and your service is still slow, that is definitely not normal. Please let us know if this is the case, and we can look into your situation more closely.

MichelleH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

If you have used your 22GB through your device you get de-prioritized to 128KBPS. You only get slowed down to 3G speeds when you use 10GB of hotspot data. The 3G speeds will be ONLY for hotspot usage.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

sprmankalel wrote:

If you have used your 22GB through your device you get de-prioritized to 128KBPS.

De-prioritization does not specify any kind of data speed, only that other users would be prioritized above you. Once you reach the front of the queue, your speeds should still be at 4G speeds, except hotspot which would be limited to 3G speeds if it had exceeded 10 GB of usage.

The 128 kbps you are thinking of is Safety Mode if you are on a limited data tier on the Verizon Plan.

lake4fun
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have now found out the hard way that the unlimited plan is not a great replacement for wired cable or Telco internet access.  I was having trouble with getting the local Windstream DSL installed.  In looking for alternatives I went through the Verizon data calculator and figured that I'd only use about 4G/month.  To to be safe I opted for the unlimited plan. That seemed like a good idea until I had a virus on my laptop. The virus used my entire 10G overnight and only two days into my billing cycle. I too am throttled to the point of almost no service.  It's only May 2nd and I effectively have no service until the 28th of the month.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

If your phone is on the unlimited plan you have another 10GB by using the personal hotspot feature on the phone.

0 Likes
Grannin
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree.  Its slower than dial up.  I have been trying to view MY VERIZON plan online and all details and its taking me 30 minutes.  Its the worst deal Verizon made to all of us customers.  Looking into AT&T plans today which offer 1 TB for $40. 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That sounds like a landline internet service. If you have any options for landline based Internet service, you should not be using or considering cellular wireless Internet service options.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
lake4fun
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you read my post, I mentioned that Windstream, the local land land provider was having trouble getting service to us.  I had asked the rep when I ordered this and he indicated that the 3G was really okay and only slightly slower than the 4G... Which it is not.  As far as I'm concerned, this is totally misrepresented by the Verizon sales staff.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

lake4fun wrote:

If you read my post, I mentioned that Windstream, the local land land provider was having trouble getting service to us. I had asked the rep when I ordered this and he indicated that the 3G was really okay and only slightly slower than the 4G... Which it is not. As far as I'm concerned, this is totally misrepresented by the Verizon sales staff.

I wasn't referring to your post. I was referring to Grannin's post where they mentioned looking at an AT&T plan with 1 TB for $40 per month.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Grannin, I know how important it is to get great speeds and service. We value your loyalty, and we certainly don't want to see you go. If you are on the Verizon unlimited plan and have used more than 22GB of data on your smartphone, you may experience some temporary slowness at times. You can see more information about how this works here: http://spr.ly/658685xbu

If you are using a mobile hotspot, you will be reduced to 3G speeds for the hotspot device only after 10GB are used on your plan. Our link to the Unlimited Plan FAQ includes information on this as well. If you have not exceeded 22GB, or 10GB for hotspot, and your service is still slow, that is definitely not normal. Please let us know if this is the case, and we can look into your situation more closely.

MichelleH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes