Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Unlocking Fully Paid phone
jancheta

I bought 2 iphone 13 and paid the devices in full and I submitted requests for them to be unlocked but was denied. I was told I have to wait 60 days but the emails I received states "

If you purchased your device as a part of a monthly payment agreement, you have the option of paying the remaining balance off from a Verizon Retail Store and resubmitting the unlock request prior to the scheduled unlock date." 

Why would Verizon make these statements if it's going to abide by it. The phones are fully paid from the point of sale. I filed a FCC complaint already. It would be just easy for all of Verizon just unlock the phones. Need help

0 Likes
Re: Unlocking Fully Paid phone
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

I didn’t think there was any way around the 60 day lock. I know this is a little late but why didn’t you purchase your phones Sim free directly from Apple? Do you avoid a whole lot of problems if you never have to ask for your phone to be unlocked in the first place. Although Verizon is supposed to unlock phones after 60 days, every once in a while it does not happen when it’s supposed to 

0 Likes
jancheta123

Update: I filed an FCC complaint re this matter. Then I received an update from FCC that the complaint was officially served to Verizon after 1 week of filing. Then I received and email from Verizon Executive team member and subsequently called me about the issue. I stated the fact that Verizon is obligated per FCC regulation to unlock the device once it's fully paid regardless of the time. Verizon argued that FCC granted them a special permission to lock their phones for 60 days but also per FCC that special permission need to be published which was not. Everything the Verizon exec rep was stating to defend the 60 days was not published for each customer to see. Also all Verizon Reps need to be on the same page especially the front lines(store reps) . FCC also requires all carriers to disclose all or everything that pertains to services or contracts to customers. We ended the conversation with the rep stating she will relay my argument to her executive leadership and will get back to me. After 1 hour of that conversation I checked my phones and both phones were UNLOCKED... no more SIM restrictions.. 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

Well I’m glad you resolve your issue.  

Just for the record, because this won’t be the Only time it comes up -  according to the CTIA agreement, each carrier has to publish their unlock policy on their website for anyone to read.  In double checking Verizon’s unlock policy has remained the same since 2019.

https://www.verizon.com/support/device-unlocking-policy/

According to the website there is no exception to the 60 day lock. I don’t know who sent you that email.  If it was an individual who works for Verizon they should know better than to come up with their own idea of how things work rather than follow policy per the published information.  

0 Likes