Unnaceptable download and upload speeds observed
legrena
Enthusiast - Level 3

For the past 90 days I have executed wireless (3G &4G) speed tests on the wireless network using an Apple 5S device and the OOKLA Speedtest app and am very frustrated with the results. I see download speeds reading 0.12, 0.09 and 0.38 as well as upload speeds of 0.08, 0.00 and ping results  of 135, 471 and 117.  I can show speed test results for more than two years for comparative purposes, if need be. These tests support the frustration I am experiencing on a regular basis when uploading and downloading files of any type and at various times of the day. How can this be acceptable performance?  It isn't, so please let me know what to expect and how this can be resolved. As a Verizon customer for the past 15 years, I can hardly say that I see a continued improvement in network performance from my own personal experiences these past months.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unnaceptable download and upload speeds observed
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@legrena

I want you to be able to enjoy surfing on the nation's fastest 4G LTE Network!  Let's work together to see how we can improve your wireless experience.

You mentioned that you have conducted these speed tests over the past 90 days.  Is this when the problem with your 4G speeds began?  In what zip code are you experiencing this problem?  Have you tested your speeds outdoors?  If so, what was your results?  Please let me know so that I can further assist.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
legrena
Enthusiast - Level 3

@ Verizon Wireless Customer Support The zip codes I have conducted these tests at are 15205, 15204, 15057, 16214, 15222, 15207. I can go on and on. These tests were performed outdoors. The problem is pretty much constant.

0 Likes
legrena
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let me add a graphic to help you out some. Hopefully you can help me out some too. Any help is better than no help. As you can see the results of the tests are dismal.speed tests.PNG

0 Likes
2Believe
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the exact same problem with same Apple iPhone 4 w/ 4g using the exact same OOKLA speed test. ZIPs 19060, 20136, 20140, 22015, 22042, 22314, 22230, 19610 all outdoors and usually with 4 bars or more. My speeds are similar to those of Legrena. I've done a device reset, I've been out of county and even out of state. Basically I have dial-up modem speeds. This wasn't the case orginally I'm a new subscriber as of April. Device was fine in April, but degraded in May. What's happening?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Legrena,

Thanks for additional info and all you hard work! Since the issue is happening in so many zipcodes and different network towers we are going to troubleshoot your device first. Can I have you remove the sim card from the device for 1 min> then place the sim card back in the device http://vz.to/T27JyS . I also noticed these pings were taken in the morning around the same time, and early evening. Do you receive the same speeds late at night? I want to make sure that this not network congestion.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
legrena
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your response @ Verizon Wireless Customer Support.  I have removed the SIM card as instructed.  I will look to retest in these zip codes in the evenings, but was testing during early morning to see if the speeds were in fact better due to less traffic on the network. I can tell you that running the test moments after the power down/SIM removal action, the results are not much better. 2.16 Download and 0.81 upload with ping of 90 this at 1:38pm in 15205 zip code.  I will advise further, later.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi 2believe,

We want you to receive the best speeds on your device! I have reviewed the coverage in the zipcodes listed there is 3G, 4G, and extended 4G LTE in the areas. Since the issue is occuring in so many zipcodes, this sounds like a device related issue. What type of reset did you complete on the device? Is the issue only occuring indoors in these locations? Are you receiving any error messages when the internet is moving slow?

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
legrena
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been to the local Verizon store on multiple occasions since this last posting. They troubleshot the device there, reset it, replaced the SIM card. Funny thing is that in the store the performance is exceptional. When I go about 2 miles away, the performance goes down the tubes. The local store has a signal amplifier, hence the increased performance.  I reset my network setting, too, based on the guidance of tech support (see multiple tickets in your system under my phone number/account).  The performance is still no good. Apple troubleshot the entire device and it passed on all accounts. I believe my account is being throttled. This is not a good practice by Verizon. In fact, there is an article in the news about what has happened to AT&T as a result of their admitting to throttling customers with unlimited data - FTC: AT&T slowed speeds of unlimited data smartphone users. Would be a good idea @ Verizon Wireless Customer Support to setup up as a company and make good on if you are throttling customers with unlimited data plans. Unlimited data with the expected throughput performance is what customers expect. Anything else is unacceptable, especially to those of us who are paying in excess of $300 a month for service that is not worth $20.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

legrena,

We can understand how your speeds can be alarming. We can advise that we do not throttle any data on the 4G data network. When the SIM card was replaced did this provide any relief? Has it always been this way?

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes