Re: Upgrade Fee
Not applicable

mikes7324 wrote:

So basically, the upgrade fee is the same as the activation fee, and there is zero benefit for a returning customer.

Because getting a phone for 60%-95% off isn't good enough for you? You can always pay full price for the phone if you want to avoid the upgrade fee. No one forces you to upgrade.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello mikes7324.

I appreciate your concerns about the upgrade fee. I assure you, this is something Verizon Wireless put off as long as possible. For a long time we were able to subsidize these costs and not have to charge additional fees, but with the rising costs of devices we've had no choice. Although Verizon Wireless had to implement a fee, I'm happy to say we kept the fee low. It's one of the lowest out there.

The wireless industry is changing so fast and with the boom in technology Verizon has had to expand the services it offers. We offer many services that add value and minimize costs for our customers. Our upgrades come with many benefits, including: Free Wireless Workshops, Device setup at the Point of Sale, and Express Self  Serve options including My Verizon.

Another major contributing factor for the Upgrade Fee is the rising costs of phones themselves. As they become more advanced and can do more things, they are rising significantly in price. You're able to take advantage of two year discounted pricing because part of the Upgrade Fee is allowing us to continue to subsidize the devices for our customers. For example, a new Apple iPhone 5S 16 GB is currently $199.99 to upgrade with a new 2 year agreement. For that same phone, Verizon Wireless paid $649.99.

I understand not wanting to be charged an additional $30.00. As other members have mentioned, there are ways to avoid it altogether. We offer a Trade-In program in which you may trade in a previous device for a giftcard which you can use towards your new phone. For more information about our Trade-In program, you may visit the following link: http://bit.ly/GGnDDC

Another great option to avoid the Upgrade Fee, would be the Verizon Edge program. Edge allows you to upgrade every 6 months with at least 50% of the device's balance paid off. For additional information, you may refer to this link: http://vz.to/18XswI4

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kandykorn

Another way for you guys to sugar coat squeezing every last dime out of us and trying to justify it.  I've seen your profit reports, you're not fooling anyone.

As long as you're charging $30 for a wall charger that I can buy at the grocery store for $5, I don't want to hear about the cost of business and income vs expenses.

Anyone willing to just take all these new fees and happily pay them is part of the problem.  Speak up, with voice and dollars, make capitalism work and go to the cheaper option thereby forcing competition.

0 Likes
Stoney1612
Enthusiast - Level 1

I realize my misunderstanding now.  It is not the upgrade fee, but the monthly data bundle fee.  I want to upgrade my phone to the iphone, but was told I need to pay the $30 upgrade, PLUS a $30 per month data package.  I did that for my wife's upgrade, and now pay the extra $30 per month. I checked her usage and she uses about 1% of her's.  If we share everything, why would I need another ?  I see ads all day that tell me other carriers would be cheaper in the long run. I tried using online chat to ask about this, but chat did not work. How can I get any answers?

0 Likes
Not applicable

doesn't sound like you're on the Share everything plan. Sounds like you're on the old Nationwide plans. If you were on the Share Everything plans you are correct you wouldn't need another data plan.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there Stoney1612!

Ensuring you're on the best plan for your usage is incredibly important. We want to make sure you're getting the best value!

Dependent on what you think your average data usage may be with your new phone, the Share Everything plan may be cheaper than adding an additional $30 to your current plan. Please see our current plans here http://bit.ly/xdDajD

Let's review this together. Analyze your account here: http://vz.to/14Ea6sh What does your average monthly usage look like (calls/text/data)? Do you or your wife have access to Wifi at the places you frequent most? What plan are you currently on?

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes