Upgrade buyout or switch providers
JJD5006

I have $109 on my S6 device payments with my current account. I inquired with customer service about upgrading to the S8 and buying it at the retail price outright, but was told I would need to pay off my current buyout, and then purchase the new S8 (preorder) additionally at retail price. With all the major carriers offering similar plans, and buyback promotions for etfs/installments, what real incentive is there for me to not go to another provider? my s6 battery is toast so an upgrade for me is critical, but this doesn't seem like logical business sense. why would they make you PAY more to lock yourself in for another 2 years?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrade buyout or switch providers
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You're not locked in for another 2 years. Even on a 2 year service agreement, you were never locked in. As long as you're willing to pay what is required to get out of the agreement then you are free to do whatever you like. The difference is, with DPP you can pay the balance on the device and get a new one. With a 2 year service agreement you can't pay the ETF and upgrade, you have to wait it out to upgrade and stay with VZW.

Why would you buy the new phone and plunk down all of the money upfront and keep payments on the old phone? Why not just pay the balance of the old phone and get the new one on DPP?

0 Likes
JJD5006

Perhaps you took the meaning of "locked in" too literally? ETF for a contract is essentially a lock in. And i have no intention of paying the balance off the old phone in order to get the s8. Especially since every other provider will pay that off to switch. My point is why would i pay that device buyout with verizon, and then upgrade when another provider will pay the device buyout+ETF to get me to switch, and ill get the S8 through whatever financing i wish. Being that paying the buyout in order to upgrade is the only option with verizon currently.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you are glossing over is the fact that YOU have to pay the remaining balance of the device payment agreement before the other carrier will REIMBURSE you for switching to them.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Ann154 wrote:

What you are glossing over is the fact that YOU have to pay the remaining balance of the device payment agreement before the other carrier will REIMBURSE you for switching to them.

Like 1,000,000 times!!!!!

The new carrier will not pay Verizon directly. Nobody ever reads the promo details.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

JJD5006 wrote:

Perhaps you took the meaning of "locked in" too literally? ETF for a contract is essentially a lock in. And i have no intention of paying the balance off the old phone in order to get the s8. Especially since every other provider will pay that off to switch. My point is why would i pay that device buyout with verizon, and then upgrade when another provider will pay the device buyout+ETF to get me to switch, and ill get the S8 through whatever financing i wish. Being that paying the buyout in order to upgrade is the only option with verizon currently.

ETF is NOT a lock in. ETF is how Verizon recuperates the difference of the discounted price you paid and what they pay for you get the phone. You are ALWAYS free to break that 2 yr service agreement as long as you pay the ETF.

You pay off the current DPP because you want to get a new phone. Plain and simple. YOU agreed to pay the WHOLE cost of the phone of 24 months with the option of paying the balance in full at anytime. Whether you pay the balance in monthly payments or you pay it all at once, you're still paying the same amount.

What it really seems like is that you like to sign contracts but not adhere to them. Also, that you don't really want to stay with VZW.

That is your choice.

0 Likes
JJD5006

So dramatic

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Dramatic?

Because I told you the way it is and why you can't have what you want? Because it isn't what you wanted to hear? That is not why the regular forum members are here. We are here to tell you the truth.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

sprmankalel wrote:

Dramatic?

Because I told you the way it is and why you can't have what you want? Because it isn't what you wanted to hear? That is not why the regular forum members are here. We are here to tell you the truth.

Your turn. Smiley Happy  Like 1,000,000 times!!!!!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.