Upgrading from a 2yr plan to the Verizon Edge plan.
WolfsRealm
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, I'm not certain if this has been asked before, so I apologize in advance if this is a rehash of previously answered questions. I have a Note 3 in a 2 yr contract that is not due to be upgraded until 8/2016. I want to get the Note 5 with the new Edge plan at $29/month. Does this count as upgrading at full price (because I'm only midway through my 2 yr contract with my Note 3) or would I have to continue paying the monthly amount due for the Note 3 in addition to buying the Note 5 on the Edge plan? I only need one phone, so keeping the Note 3 active at the same time as the Note 5 would not make any sense.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Upgrading from a 2yr plan to the Verizon Edge plan.
Snn5
Legend

You can buy a Note 5 full price and activate it on your contract line, then sell the Note 3.

0 Likes
speedingcheetah9000
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Edge plans no longer exist. Been replaced by "The Verizon" plan.

Same idea, you either pay full price up front for device, or you pay full price for the phone over 24 months. (retail cost of phone divided by 24 gives you the cost per month added to bill)

Perks of this is the $20 line access charge instead of $40.  (but it then equals out since u then have to tack on the ~$20 more for the phone payment.) Very good deal if u get a used off contract and don't have to worry about payments.

If you are still on contract, you can't take advantage of the new plan. You have to wait until your contract expires before VZW will drop the line access charge to $20...so switching is pointless. I just found this out by calling them as I wanted to switch to the new plan to lower my line cost....yea for fine print.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

speedingcheetah9000 wrote:

The Edge plans no longer exist. Been replaced by "The Verizon" plan.

No.,  Edge was replaced by the Device Payment Plan.  More Everything Plans were replaced by the new Verizon plans.

If you are still on contract, you can't take advantage of the new plan. You have to wait until your contract expires before VZW will drop the line access charge to $20...so switching is pointless. I just found this out by calling them as I wanted to switch to the new plan to lower my line cost....yea for fine print.

No.  You can still change plans but you won't get the $20 line access reduction until out of contract.

speedingcheetah9000
Enthusiast - Level 2

Um...yes...that is what i said.  Ur just playing semantics here..

There is no more edge plans...its all in the Verizon plan now.

As I said, u cant take advantage of the new plan...not until ur contract is up does the cost go down...even if you switch now.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

speedingcheetah9000 wrote:

Um...yes...that is what i said.  Ur just playing semantics here..

Not semantics, rather specifics.

There is no more edge plans...its all in the Verizon plan now.

There are no more Edge plans, but it has been renamed Device Payment Plan.

The Verizon plan is the amount of data you buy with the unl talk and text.  Verizon plans come in S,M,L,XL, and up.  Device Payment Plans, or DPP, is the new name for Edge, and is the 24 monthly payment option.

As I said, u cant take advantage of the new plan...not until ur contract is up does the cost go down...even if you switch now.

You CAN take advantage of the new plans, but the access fee discount does not come into play until the end of a contract.