Upgrading plan from basic to smart phone
laura4188

I'm currently on a grandfathered family plan with all basic phones with my parents and siblings. I want to upgrade to a smartphone (probably an iphone) and was wondering if I switch to my own plan can I keep the same phone number? And will this mess up my parents' plan if I'm leaving it? Also, I'm not sure how much data I would need. I've looked at the calculator, but I'm just wondering what is an adequate amount for one person? I frequently use Facebook, email, Google, and Pandora. Lastly, if there is wifi at my house, for example, does it still use the allotted data or does it switch to the wifi the way an ipod touch uses wifi without having to pay extra for it? Thank you so much!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrading plan from basic to smart phone
Not applicable

You need to do an assumption of liability (AOL) for your line of service and move it from your parents account to a new Verizon account in your name.  Depending on your credit score, you may or may not have to pay a deposit as much as $400, refundable after one year of on-time payments.  This should not affect your parents plan if they still have 2 or more lines of service.

I have no idea how much data you need, but I would start with 2GB and keep a close eye on it.  WIFI does not use your Verizon data, of course.

0 Likes
Upgrading plan from basic to smart phone
Writeon

Just be careful.  When you talk to Verizon make sure they include taxes and fees so you know how to compare the total cost.  If you are going out on your own that is one thing.  I am in your same boat of having an older plan but yet wanting to add one smart phone.  I get a different answer on how much it will cost each time I ask.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Since it's a new account, I think you would have to go with Share Everything, but I'm not positive since it's an AOL.  Share Everything would be $40 for a smartphone plus $50 for 1GB, $60 for 2GB, $70 for 4GB, $80 for 6GB, etc.  Taxes and fees vary, but probably around $4.50 per month per phone.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Adding a smartphone is $9.99 plus $30 data plus approx $4.50 taxes and fees.

0 Likes