Usage restrictions
mark38090
Enthusiast - Level 2
When my son reaches the limits I have set is he still able to call numbers on the network or does the phone shut off all together?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Usage restrictions
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Mark,

I think (I could be wrong, and someone correct me if I am, please!) all that happens is:

-- Receive free text alerts when they reach their allowance

They are still able to make and receive calls and text - you simply are made aware that they have reached their "limit", whatever it is that you have set.

I don't believe the phpne shuts off or is in any way disable, it is just a notification to you.

Someone jump in and feel free to correct me, but this was my understanding when I looked into it.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

The usage controls are a tricky thing. At this current moment in time there is not a hard stop on the minute threshold, meaning if you have the line allowed for 200 minutes a month it is still able to use past that amount. For text messages it's different, it's a hard cap so it stops at whatever allowance you put it at.

There are some up coming changes to the usage control program that will bring the minute threshold inline with the text threshhold, meaning at 200minutes the line is cut off from calling. I don't know the exact date when this is going to be released, but it's soon. 

In either case, text or minutes, the line will always be able to communicate with other lines on your family share plan and any numbers you have set up in your Trusted Numbers list. 

I'll double check on the date for you tomorrow and get back to you. 

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Okay, so read up on it a little bit more and I was actually wrong yesterday when I talked about the upcoming enhancements to usage controls. The threshold for minute allowances will continue to be a soft limit, meaning the line can still use beyond the allotted airtime. The enhancements only apply to the "time of day" restriction. So if you've set up your time of day restriction the phone will not be able make/receive calls during these times.

I apologize about the miscommunication. I'm usually not wrong. :smileymad:

0 Likes
mark38090
Enthusiast - Level 2
I'm not usually wrong either unless you ask the wife...:smileyvery-happy:
0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

nmchileman wrote:

I apologize about the miscommunication. I'm usually not wrong. :smileymad:

But the misunderstanding was cleared up in the post immediately following, and Verizon's technicalities are a bit confusing at times....keep up the good work!

0 Likes