Used *228 on 4G Phone foolishly, and phone number changed?
jimstyro
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was receiving an error on my phone while attempting to text message someone that was something along the lines of "Service for CARD 1 has been disconnected(error97)". Something along those lines. I wasn't getting any 4G data at the time - which I simply attributed to poor service in the area - but I was still getting 3G so i checked some forums online and found a suggestion that said to try dialing *228 in order to reprogram the phone. It stated it was a quick fix for that particular error so I gave it a shot. Afterward, I was able to text message again, but I haven't since been able to get 4G LTE running, and more importantly my phone number changed entirely. I tried calling a few people and later I'd found that my friends and family had been getting a call from a Kentucky number, which I'd found out was my own phone in Michigan. I had planned to call customer service but because of labor day the hours were cut short. I've done some research on the *228 error on 4G phones and how it fries SIM cards, but I haven't heard anything about phone numbers changing entirely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Used *228 on 4G Phone foolishly, and phone number changed?
Snn5
Legend

This is curious, I don't know why or how your number changed, but it wasn't from dialing *228 on a 4G device.  Dialing *228 will result in "Call not sent/completed."  Remove the SIM and battery if possible.  Wait a few min and reinsert both.  The SIM controls your Preferred Roaming List.  If this does not work, you'll need to go to a corporate store for a new SIM programmed with your number.  You can order one free from Verizon as well, but a store is 7-10 days faster.  You might also try to Live Chat from the Contact Us link on Verizon.com and they can take the SIM number you have and re-assign it to your phone number and account.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

This is curious, I don't know why or how your number changed, but it wasn't from dialing *228 on a 4G device.  Dialing *228 will result in "Call not sent/completed."  Remove the SIM and battery if possible.  Wait a few min and reinsert both.  The SIM controls your Preferred Roaming List.  If this does not work, you'll need to go to a corporate store for a new SIM programmed with your number.  You can order one free from Verizon as well, but a store is 7-10 days faster.  You might also try to Live Chat from the Contact Us link on Verizon.com and they can take the SIM number you have and re-assign it to your phone number and account.

0 Likes
jimstyro
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried a few of those suggestions, but ultimately just contacting a service rep through Live Chat was the answer. Had the problem solved in a few minutes. Thanks for the help!