Using Verizon 4G LTE phones with locally purchased foreign Sim cards overseas
US_Professor
Enthusiast - Level 1

Which Verizon global phones work overseas (from China to W. Europe to Russia) for voice, text AND DATA when using locally purchased international Sim cards?

I bought the Samsung III a few years ago after being assured by several Verizon staff that it was fully capable, but then discovered this was ONLY true for voice and SMS, not email.  Verizon blocked the APN access so no data plans worked.  The purchased international SIM cards would work on other SIIIs (as the Samsung store overseas demonstrated), just not Verizon's version. I even tried using an older unlocked, deactivated global Verizon Blackberry, but to the surprise of the RIM technicians in Canada, the local Sim card still tried to activate through Verizon and thus failed to work.

Now it is reported that Samsung is blocking global use based on the region where the phone was purchased. Does this mean if I buy a Verizon Note3 or S4 I cannot travel overseas and purchase a local Sim card and get data in addition to voice?  Is the same true for Apple?  What about other models?

Is there a non-Verizon solution?

What is the best option for a global academic on a limited budget?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using Verizon 4G LTE phones with locally purchased foreign Sim cards overseas
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

selin319,

We apologize for any confusion, but to answer your question all of our 4G devices come unlocked (for international use) from the manufacture. With that said, you can definitely purchase a local SIM card and insert to your device to use, however we cannot guarantee your service will work as it will not be registered to our network at that point.

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Using Verizon 4G LTE phones with locally purchased foreign Sim cards overseas
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

US_Professor, we love to keep you connected while internationally traveling! Did you add the Global data plan to your device and ensure that data roaming was enabled on your phone? Here's more information regarding our international services: http://vz.to/n9PFe9

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes
Not applicable

With Verizon, you have to set up global service before you go away.

Warning....  No matter what thou are told, no amount of setup seems to be good enough for the Note 3.   Many annoyed customers in other countries after doing all the right setup.

I have not heard if the GS4 ha the same problem.

Best option - Purchase a throw away phone when you land and give everyone your temporary number

0 Likes
selin319
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lasina, don't try to change the subject. He is not talking about signing up with your EXPENSIVE global data plan. $25/100MB????? I don't think so! He is asking if he can purchase a LOCAL sim card in a COUNTRY OVERSEAS and use his phone for voice, text AND DATA with the LOCAL SIM CARD. Answer that question if you can. @

I am wondering the exact same thing.

Thanks.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

selin319,

We apologize for any confusion, but to answer your question all of our 4G devices come unlocked (for international use) from the manufacture. With that said, you can definitely purchase a local SIM card and insert to your device to use, however we cannot guarantee your service will work as it will not be registered to our network at that point.

KarenC_VZW

0 Likes