VZ Navigator 5.1.0
RWReese

Since I can't find any other feedback place, I'm putting it here and hoping someone from Verizon sees it and takes action.  The new VZ Navigator 5.0 is a step back from the previous edition.  The font is far too small to read safely in the car, especially for older people who need glasses!  The distance to the next point of navigation should be much more prominent as it was in the previous version (allows for better planning in difficult traffic).  The navigation within the system is not intuitive.  The "Say It" feature is disappointing.  I shouldn't have to press and hold anything while driving.  To place a call with my phone I simply press and release the button on my bluetooth earpiece and say, "Call Home" and it places the call.  With Navigator I should press and release the button on my earpiece and say "Find Home" or "Find Work" and it should begin navigating there, but it doesn't.  If I say "Find Home" or "Home" it simply finds real estate items in the local area.  AWFUL!  This is a poorly thought out update to what was a pretty good navigation system. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZ Navigator 5.1.0
docthunder

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in finding the latest 5.1.0 VZ Navigator Software Update a horrible step backwards.  If the intention was to push people go buy a Garmin, they certainly have succeeded.  There is no way to review upcoming steps in route to see if it makes sense or how long each of the next steps will take (without exiting to menu, choosing list view, etc etc).  This used to be doable with a right arrow button (on either my LG Chocolate or LG Voyager).  Now the arrow buttons are inoperable in the 2d or 3d mode.  The program used to be usable pretty much without having to speak or navigate lots of submenus.  No more.

A voice interface should never be the default, especially on a phone with a full qwerty keyboard.  It is nearly impossible to find out how to do the simple task of putting in an address or business name and asking the program to navigate.  I really don't need to know the next 4 rock concerts.

As noted in the first post, the font has gotten smaller from an already too-small font in the previous version (no matter what age you are - we're using these in a car, Verizon!!!).  And useful information is gone from the screen and program, only to waste programmer resources to make icons of service stations pop up as I zoom by on the highway at 65 miles an hour.

Additional glitches - the map always starts up somewhere in California (I'm from Ohio but it also did this when in Seattle); the program now takes much longer to find my location at startup than the old version; and I had it plan a route of 30 minutes but it insisted the total trip mileage was 4700 miles.  Luckily, we made it to the airport in 30 minutes (didn't feel like we were traveling at the speed of sound but maybe I was too busy trying to read the tiny font I didn't notice).

Verizon, please provide an option to download the previous version.  There's nothing in this version worth keeping.

0 Likes
caseyt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have to agree on this one.  The new navigator is a nightmare.  Not being able to see the steps of the route is a big drawback.  This is the most user UNfriendly app that I've ever used.  And who cares if you can update your location on facebook?

Others seem to have had a choice in downloading but my old version wouldn't load so I had to download the new version.  I prefer them to beta test this, but not on me.

0 Likes
hypnodr

Two more great features lost in the "upgrade" to 5.1:

1) Can't search by intersections anymore

2) Can't browse movies by theater

0 Likes
PowerUser

I would pay dearly for a way to downgrade and go back to the previous version.  This version is so wrong-headed, someone seriously needs to lose their job over this.  Who approved this nonsense?

As near as I can tell the new version added one "feature" -  some silly nonsense about updating Facebook status.  (Facebook is a toy, and a passing fad, and it is so far removed from automobiles navigation as to render this laughable).

It removed so much...

The most commonly used features are now buried in submenus, and in submenus of submenus.  Favorites?   Recent Addresses?  Even then, one must hit button after button to tell the **bleep** software to actually Navigate to a place, once we finally have it clearly selected.

It is MUCH slower.  Much.  What happened?  Instead of popping up and knowing where I am, we now have to wait...  and wait...

That display.  Weather reports?  Other silly stuff which has nothing to do with actual navigation?  The necessity of keying and keying just to tell the **bleep** thing I would like to actually USE the software for its intended purpose?  Utter nonsense.

The navigation screens...  the 3-D?  Ouch!  The 2-D  Ouch!  What happened?  Colors are awful, nothing can be read, and now the least important items on the screen are given the most prominence.  Who designed THIS display?   Ouch!

Who decided to remove to the ability to peek ahead at the next steps on a given route?  Who?  Why?  That person should be summarily fired.  Who approved this?  Was this tested on any actual user?  This is basic, Verizon/  THIS IS BASIC!

I can go on.

Instead, I am seriously offering money to anyone who owns the ENV3 that has not yet upgraded -- I will BUY your phone.  Verizon will (of course) not sell me such a thing.  So, YOU can profit.

Answer me here, as a reply, quick -- as I have now begun to shop for a Garmin.  My only alternative is to cancel the navigator from my Verizon package.

-Bruce

0 Likes
PhilM

Well put Bruce...........this is a piece of %$#@!..........bad enough I am on my third EnV touch.............and now this??????

I will be at my Verizon store tomorrow morning. I may just remove this USELESS program from my phone...it is so slow

and user unfriendly......what were they thinking???? FACEBOOK???? Why????? List of recent phone calls...WHY?????

weather??? why?????   My wife has an ENV3.....I may just ask for a downgrade..........

0 Likes
PhilM

Verizon is a dinosaur when it comes to apps....may be we know why now..............look at this junk.................VERIZON...ARE YOU LISTENING??????

0 Likes
ybysaiah

I made the mistake of  "upgrading" my wife's and my ENV3s to this ridiculous software - what total junk! Can only delete all favorites from the phone (not individual ones), can't scroll right or left when viewing favorites, can't scroll right or left when navigating to see the trip summary or next steps... I could go on but I've wasted enough time on this today as it is. I have a call in to see how I can upgrade to the previous version that works - otherwise I'll take all 4 of my family's phones off of the data plan and go with voice and text messaging only. I've been using VZNavigator since 2007 and it has improved with every version up until this one...

0 Likes
ybysaiah

Tried it out on the way to work today - no voice prompts unless I turned off my hands-free Bluetooth connection to my car...totally not acceptable. VZ Navigator has taken a major step back with this one!

0 Likes
PhilM

We have two phones EnV touch and EnV3 (my wifes)  My EnV touch I am on my third and there are issues with this one....the only worthwhile reason having this phone was the Backup Assistant and the Navigator 4  now............they have taken 50% of my reasoning away. THIS APP STINKS!!!!!!!!!!! I Filed an official complaint to corporate today. They tried to downgrade me to Nav4 but could not do it...and I knew that already. I will be heading to my Verizon store today...and I will not be leaving with this phone.

I filed an official email complaint last week..got a formula response followed by another one. I sent back another complaint and got the immediate formula response. I said in the complaint this time..."DO NOT INSULT ME WITH ANOTHER ROBOTIC ANSWER" . I have yet to receive an answer which prompted by call to them

BTW...The EnV Touch wreaks havoc on Comcast's CISCO/Scientific Atlanta Digital TV boxes...................so using this phone in front of the TV is no longer an option for me.

0 Likes