Re: VZ Navigator 5.1.0
PhilM

A step to 0.0

0 Likes
ybysaiah

My wife tried to use the the new Ad-Sponsored VZ Navigator to help her run some errands yesterday - it now doesn't know the names of some of the major highways around Richmond... "prepare to turn right on <insert silence here>  in .5 miles"  just  doesn't cut it. Thankfully she's not too mad at me for DOWNgrading her phone's capabilities by upgrading to the new version.

Here's a clue as to why we may never see a useful version ever again:

Try searching for something like a Doctor or something else you may need (perhaps even urgently) - your top listing will be a SPONSORED AD for something like a local Best Western (which is what I got last night when trying to find a local doctor). I'm betting that there's some deal behind the scenes that prevents VZW from giving us the choice of going back to the working, useful version.

I'll give it a couple of more weeks and then I'll switch my plan to voice and text messaging only for all 4 phones - VZ Navigator was the only reason I was willing to spend the extra money for a data plan and now it looks like that reason is gone.

0 Likes
firehill

Oh how i wish i had seen this thread 2 days ago. Updated the Navigator on my phone to the newer version 2 days ago. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE MISTAKE!!!! If anyone sees this and has the older version, DO NOT UPGRADE to the 5.1.0 Everything about it is bad compared to the older version. Loved using my Navigator, and sometimes for no reason. Lots of times would check my speed in vehicle and boat. Can't do any more. I can only hope a newer version comes out to replace this or someone figures out a way to get the older version back. VERIZON, PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!

0 Likes
i7guy

It is missing location and speed, but I like the rest of application. I have a Tour and can use Blackberry maps to get location and speed.

I like the fact VZNav will now use my bluetooth headset as the default audio device, so I don't have to hear my cribbin' 'bout the phone. Maybe the feature phone versions have some issues, but the BBery users it's a step up.

0 Likes
ybysaiah

i7guy wrote:

It is missing location and speed, but I like the rest of application. I have a Tour and can use Blackberry maps to get location and speed.

I like the fact VZNav will now use my bluetooth headset as the default audio device, so I don't have to hear my cribbin' 'bout the phone. Maybe the feature phone versions have some issues, but the BBery users it's a step up.

Maybe???

Whatever... maybe I'll upgrade to a Blackberry Tour to get a usable VZNavigator experience - yeah, right.

0 Likes
virtualchaos

At least the app is fre....i mean chea....i mean...effectiv...er...

hmmm.

0 Likes
PowerUser

Verizon are you LISTENING?  I would be so, so happy if you merely offer another "upgrade" to the PREVIOUS version.

Then, those who like Version 5 (you know, those two 13 year-olds in New Jersey) can keep their ability to update their Facebook status with their navigator  ("I mean, like -- Gosh!  I just got off the toilet, and I am going over to Suzie's!").

The rest of us can then go retro, and get back the larger fonts, the ability to look at the next step on a trip, the ability to delete a Favorite without losing ALL of our favorites, the ability to search by Movie Theaters, the ability add a favorite from any part of the menu, the ability to READ the **bleep** thing...  shall I go on?

Disgusted,

-Bruce

0 Likes
i7guy

Just a suggestion, maybe you need to use the app. I had enough issues with Version 4 although it got the job done. Version 5 does a better job at navigating.

By the way some of these posts are written, it seems a bunch of 13 year olds are on the forum.

If the shoe fits....

0 Likes
docthunder

regarding i7guy's comments (I'll ignore the other comments):

"Just a suggestion, maybe you need to use the app. I had enough issues with Version 4 although it got the job done. Version 5 does a better job at navigating."

I've used VZ Navigator and found it a useful tool for 3 years on three different phones in our family and recommended it to others. Perhaps things are different on the Blackberry version, but on LG phones, version 4 already let you use the bluetooth headset as your audio so the driver could get directions and not distract the rest of the car (and hear it clearly while the other folks were talking or listening to music).  So the version 5 upgrade on LG did nothing in that respect.  See my previous post along with multiple other posts in this thread for all the features taken away or degraded, especially the basics in navigating the application, being able to easily set it up to find a destination and review the steps the app wants to take, and basic readability.  I've gone back to printing out Google maps, or maybe I'll stop and ask for directions...

And the navigating is not any better or any worse in version 5 versus version 4, at least on my LG phone (once you can find a way to enter a destination) for the month I used it.

0 Likes
i7guy

Fair enough.

I could never get the audio redirected to my bluetooth headset on my LG on Version 4 and it didn't redirect on the BBery either until Version 5.

As far as a review of the steps, there is a preview option available that in my opinion is better than the Version 4 way. If you want to look at your phone to see the next step while going 70 down the highway, then the Version 4 way and Version 5 way are equally as bad. If you are pulled over to the side of the road, then it's a different set of clicks between the two versions.

When an address is entered for navigation you don't have to tell it before hand what is being entered. This is a timesaver.

While I can't comment that Version 5 did not recognize streets in your neighboorhood and Version 4 did, to me Version 5:

- is faster than V4 on BBerty and Version 4 on my LG.

- has better integration with the BBery O/S

- is more accurate than V4 on the BBery, but same as V4 on feature phone

To the other poster who thinks 13 year olds love to update Facebook with V5 every two minutes and that is the raison d'etre some of us have and like V5, I admit it...you were right. Now what?

0 Likes