Re: VZ Navigator 5.1.0
cooperville10

OK so i really gave this new 5.1 a fighting chance. I used it all over town and on a road trip from southern California to northern California. My wife and I both have the LG env touch. I have the VZ nav. 5.1 and she has the 4.0. the whole time i was comparing the two to see which version i found more efficient. I have been using vz navigator 4.0 for a while so i was familiar  with all the capabilities.   Although there are a couple of nice new features on the 5.1 a lot of them i wont use IE: the carousel feature that gives you gas prices and weather on the front page........I like the option to look up this stuff but i dont like it on the front page because it takes to long to load and it makes all the other buttons real small also it clusters the front page too much. It needs an option to take it off.  Also the facebook feature is kinda lame... it seems like everything is getting a facebooked and tweeterd out just to make it social network friendly. talk about jumping on the band wagon.  It also has a feature that sends your location and speed to a data base and the information is used to better direct its users. this sounds good but i noticed while i was in navigation mode my phone lagged a lot. I could press a button and it would take 2 sec to respond. it seems like it uses a lot of processing speed. some things i did like about 5.1: You can enter an address in one line and you can do intersection on one line as well ie: "Hollywood and vine or 12345 south brone st. CA"  that is nice cause in 4.0 you had too enter it in separate boxes requiring more button pressing. also i noticed I don't have to enter a city or zip code. just enter the street #, name and state or zip and it will narrow it down. in a way that is more like goggle maps. also it has a "list "of your route. so you can see all the streets and turns it is planning on taking you. this is something 4.0 doesn't have that it needed. although i must say it is lacking the ability to scroll though the steps while in 3D or 2D mode. in order to see the next step you have to exit the navigation screen and enter into the "list" option. This requires too many steps just to see the next street you have to turn on...annoying! when you have a map of your lactation up on the screen and your scrolling new locations it loads the new section of the map faster. um.... what else..........thats about it.. as far as load up time and time to figure up your route the 5.1 was a tad bit faster. I would get different routes with both 4.0 and 5.1.......all the settings were the same so i don't know whats going on there, but its interesting because i noticed i could shut the VZ Navigator off and load it up again and ask for the same directions and it would give me a totally different route even from the same version. Some other things missing on the 5.1 are the " location information" and the ability to see a map of the "steps". you can get weather at your current location but finding weather anywhere on your route is a long process. to navigate "home" takes a couple extra steps as well. and you cant look up all the movie times for a specific  theater only by movie title. also the Ads that show up when you do a place search are annoying. if i look up fast food a best buy add will pop up with the first choice??? i'm paying for this service don't put ads in there. The folks at VZ navigator need to listen to their customers and make some changes quick!!!! Oh and one more thing that got me was while on my 6 hour road trip the navigation froze it looked like it was on and i was on a straight road for a long time so i didn't notice that it wasn't updating the  3D map. i ended up  missing a freeway! this happened twice now i don"t trust it. 4.0 never did that on my same phone.

0 Likes
PhilM

I have posted here before...and I get more frustrated using this piece of *&^$! all the time! IF VERIZON DOES NOT LISTEN YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE A MINIMUM OF TWO PHONES IN THIS HOUSE!  It is lousy enough that I am on my third EnV Touch since late July 2009..and that this third unit is already doing strange things.

I would have gone to the iPhone a long time ago if AT&T was not so AWFUL here in New Jersey.  The Navigator and the Backup Assistant and the reliability of Verizon Customer Service were the only reasons for staying..Important enough. Now with Verizon lagging way behind on phones (maybe 15 apps available for my phone!)...and totally screwing up the Navigator....I think I will buy out my contract and move on.

I have filed official complaints with Verizon both on line and via live customer service. I also contacted the company that created  this 100% botched piece of garbage and surprise!...I received no answer to my emails and phone calls. The advertising is really an insult on the lists.

There has been one small update to this garbage..amazing there has been nothing else. I have not seen VZW advertise this....like they know better than to shoot themselves in the foot.

ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS???? PLEASE KEEP THE POSTING ALIVE!

0 Likes
LIBERATO

THIS NEW VERSION HAS MANY USELESS FEATURES FOR THE BUSINESS MEMBER AND MULTIPLE "FLUFFY" APPLICATIONS CATORING TO THE TEENAGE AND YOUNG ADULTS USING THE PHONE FOR SOCIALIZING.

IT IS THE MOST TERRIBLE AND ILL CONCEIVED APPLICATION FROM MANY ANGLES AND AN ABSOLUTE PIECE OF CRAP.

AS WELL AS SOME OF THE FEATURES ALREADY MENTIONED THAT WERE DEACTIVATED WITH THIS NEW SO-CALLED UPGRADE - IT ALSO LOST A VERY IMPORTANT AND USEFULL ON.  I CANNOT HELP BUT THINK THAT THE PROGRAMMING STAFF HAD "FEATURES" ON THEIR MIND - AS IN "WHAT OTHER BLING CAN WE CRAM IN HERE AND LOST TOUCH WITH REALITY.

IN PREVIOUS VERSION - YOU COULD SEARCH THE WEATHER AT THE DESTINATION YOU CHOSE

NOW IT GIVES YOU ONLY WHERE YOU ARE AT . . .  WHAT IMBECILE CANNOT FIGURE THAT ONE OUT?

IN PREVIOUS VERSION YOU COULD CONDUCT SEARCH OF FACILITIES AND SERVICES AT A DESTINATION OF YOUR CHOOSING - NOW AGAIN THIS DIM WITTED VERSION GIVES YOU THE INFORMATION ABOUT WHERE YOU ARE AT

HOW IN THE &*%^$^%$ CAN YOU PLAN A TRIP WITH THIS VERSION.

ON THE LEGAL SIDE; THE "UPGRADE" WAS ADVERTISED AS PROVIDING ADDITIONA FEATURES (WHICH IT DID)  - HOWEVER, IT DID NOT INDICATE THAT FOLKS WERE GOING TO LOSE FEATURES (WHICH WE DID LOSE)

THEREFORE IT MISLED US INTO ACCEPTING AN UPGRADE WHICH LIMITED OUR PREVIOUSLY ENJOYED BENEFITS - WITHOUT INFORMING US OF THE DOWNGRADE  - OR GIVING US THE OPTION TO DECLINE INTELLIGENTLY - INSTEAD MISLEADING US TO BELIEVE THAT IT WOULD CONTAIN ALL OUR PREVIOUSLY ENJOYED BENEFITS AS WELL AS OTHER NEW ONES - AS IT IS THE CASE WITH ALL THE UPGRADES I HAVE RECEIVED FROM ALL SOFTWARE PROVIDERS.

I WILL BE CONSULTING LEGAL SERVICES IN THE NEAR FUTURE, SINCE I TOO WAS NOT ABLE TO REVERT TO THE PREVIOUS VERSION AND AFTER MANY CALLS TO VERIZON INCLUDING TALKING TO SUPERVISORS - ALL I HAVE GOTTEN WAS A CANNED ANSWER - AND THE FINAL INSULT - "WELL Y9OU CAN ALWAYS TURN OFF THE FEATURE"

I HAD THE PERFECT FEATURE AND WAS DENIED THE OPTION TO OPT OUT BY THEIR MISINFORMATION - I USE IT ON MY BUSINESS AND HAVE MANY VERIZON PHONES UNDER MY PLAN.  UNLESS I GET THIS RESOLVED ASAP - I WILL CANCEL ALL AND ALSO CONTACT MY COMPANY'S FELLOW CORPORATE OFFICERS (WHICH SERVES MEMBERS IN THE MANY THOUSANDS) AND PRESENT A MOTION SUPPORTED BY THESE FACTS - FOR US TO LOOK FOR AN ALTERNATE SERVICE PROVIDER THAT HAS BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE PLANNING AND PROVIDES MORE BUSINESS FRIENDLY FEATURES AND RESOLUTIONS.

THIS WAS NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE AND A TERRIBLE MOVE ON THE PART OF VERIZON.

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

Unfortunately for you folks who previously enjoyed using VZ Navigator in certain ways, Verizon has determined that users were not properly using this program and so made neccessary changes to improve your experience.

This is based on the same philosophy as the mandatory data plans.  All users with 3GMM phones need 25MB of data per month in order to enjoy their phones, and all VZ Navigator users needed certain functionality removed/reduced/replaced with new features in order to enjoy their naivigator experience.

Have fun!

0 Likes
RandomExeter

I am sure there are probably some upgrades in the VZ Nav 5.1 that are useful.  However, there also seems to be a bunch of things that were added, changed, or removed that have caused the program as a whole to have a reduced utility to a large number of users.

My experience with version 4.x was fairly good; it was navigation software that understood that it was navigation software before anything else.  My experience, so far, with version 5.1 is not so good -- it seems the software cannot figure out exactly what it wants to be, but it's going to include some navigation features while it's working that out. 

Aside from the advertisements (aka "sponsored" locales) popping up on a program that is paid for by the users of the program (remember, we are charged to use it, either per month or per day, the users are therefore the "sponsors"), the program itself seems to have become... dumb.

On a recent search, the program was navigating me away from my desired location.  The distance between me and my destination only grew while the software said nothing.

When I attempt to use the "Find" feature, and want to display a map of a selected location, I am instead presented with a map that has ten other location results, usually zoomed out to view of about sixty miles in diameter -- even when I'm only five or so miles away from what I've searched.

Also with the "Find" feature, locations which I used to be able to find for some reason no longer come up in searches.

The display of weather, and other local events, may have its uses -- but those should be considered secondary to the primary use of a GPS Navigation software.  A simple addition of the ability to revert the primary screen back to the v4.x format would resolve issues such as that.  Otherwise, really consider where Navigation software is generally used, and of what use having the local, current weather displayed prominently is to someone driving a car.  With the exception of something absolutely critical like a tornado warning... do we really need such a prominent declaration that it's sunny and 54 degrees, or raining and 72?  I could see far more use for a radar/weather map centered around the current location.

However, a simple cosmetic change, while desirable for many, will not address the other issues such as the apparently shared new "slowness" of the program, the undesirable map behaviors, the advertisements in software that is paid for by the user, etc.

0 Likes
gonda12

I ALSO CREATED A USER NAME JUST TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE NEW NAZIGATOR!!! I WISH I COULD GO BACK!!! THE OLD VERSION WORKED PERFECT!

THE NEW ONE STINKS! CANT SEE THE SCREEN WITH A MICROSCOPE!! IT FREEZES AND SHUTS OFF ALL THE TIME!! RUNS SO SO SLOWWWWWW!! 

VERIZON PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS!! OR ATLEAST GIVE US THE OPTION OF RUNNING THE OLD PROGRAM.

"IF SOMETHING ISNT BROKE, DONT FIX IT"

0 Likes
DennisO

I think it is more like 10 steps backwards.  When I used to type in an address, you could space down to the City and when you put in the first letter of the city, it would give you the opportunity to populate it a previous city you typed.  Now that option has disappeared.

I would like to go back to version 4 but support says that is not possible.  If someone has a workaround that lets us go backwards, please let us know.

0 Likes
Mengia

I am really glad to see that I am not crazy and alone in my hatred for this downgrade.   I would like to add that along with all the features that have already been mentioned you also can no longer look at a {word filter avoidance}
MAP OF THE ROUTE!.   Really? on a navigator you can't see a map of the route??? **bleep**?  As for the person who said that those of us complaining need to "use it"  FYI  I am a truck driver and use it a minimum of 20 times a day.    Also does verizon not realize that on a cell phone you can send a text and update Facebook?   why would we need it on the navigator?

0 Likes
peachyinohio

RWReese, thank you for starting this thread! The new VZ Navigator is the most frustrating thing I've ever tried to use. The funny thing is, the old version was so great, I gave my GPS away because it wasn't as user friendly as my VZ Navigator. Now, I'm ready to just get rid of my premium package all together. I do not like one thing about the new version!

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I have never seen or used Navigator. If it is as bad as all are saying, Wouldn't one think that maybe Verizon would have let PAYING customers use it first for feedback?

It sounds like simply Verizon is getting mucho more dollars by having links to FB and whatever else has been stated that is part of the program now. WHY would anyone care to get on Facebook and post while trying to Navigate from point A to point B?

And  you get to see what the weather is outside of your window, not where you are going???  And the higher ups approve it as their was a presentation showing how much more revenue could be generated by adding outside links to the program.

0 Likes