Verizon $200 IPhone - False Advertising and soon to be lost customer
andymcphee
Enthusiast - Level 2

On April 10, I received an email directly from Verizon about upgrading a phone to an IPhone 6 for free by taking advantage of a $200 credit offer.  I called my local Verizon owned store on April 12 and one of the salesmen told me yes, that they could do this.  GREAT! He also explained to me the details of the promotion (which were also stated on the email).  I called again (same store) on April 14 to make sure they had them in-stock.  They salesman (different) told me that there was no such promotion and he knew nothing about it.  He said he would check with other sale associates.  After a 15 minute wait, he came back and said there was no such promotion and if I was sure it was from Verizon.  I let him know that I called a couple of days ago and they knew about it and that the offer didn't expire until 5/31/15.  Nope says he... no such promotion (Great just turned to BAD).  I now call Verizon Customer Service who after a lot of looking up says that the promotion ended.  Why would you end the promotion 4 days after the email goes out?  She tells me that there is nothing she can do.  So after a 25 minute disastrous conversation, bad just turned to WORSE.   I'm thinking about just cancelling my plan.  Gets better... April 15 - Just got another email stating the same false offer is active .. about getting a free IPhone 6 with a $200 upgrade fee and data plan.  Now ... I am extremely displeased and agitated over this as worse just turned to UNACCEPTABLEBecause after this tragedy, the 2 individuals who I've spoken to stated that they certainly would not want to lose my business, but there was absolutely Nothing they could do.  Clearly we all know that other carriers are offering to pay for cancellation fees.  Now I would like to know 2 things... a) WHO from Verizon will be calling my 13 year old nephew to apologize that he may not be getting an IPhone from Verizon for his birthday this weekend?  and b) Exactly WHAT is Verizon going to do keep my $250 per month that I pay for 5 phones on my account before I cancel all the lines? 

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon $200 IPhone - False Advertising and soon to be lost customer
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
andymcphee,

I apologize for all the inconvenience this has caused and definitely don't want to lose you.  I am sure your nephew was excited to get a new phone.

Please reply to my direct message so I can access your account and take a closer look at the offer you received via email.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

I already have an iPhone 6+ so I skimmed over the email...but you're right...I received the same email today with the email stating that the promo ends on 5/31/15.  I'd print it and take it to the store as this may not be a promotion being offered to everyone...hence the reason the store may not know about it.  The bottom of my email has a barcode that the store would scan which would probably apply the promotion.  Take the email with the barcode to the store and see if that helps...again, this may be offered to select individuals which could be why there isn't widespread knowledge around VZW about it.  I'm not saying what you've experienced thus far is right...but trying to offer some insight.  Best of luck to you and post your results if you decide to take that email into the store...

Loquat
Master - Level 1

andymcphee  So I tried just for the heck of it to use the promotion in the email.  I click the link and it took me to the VZW website where I pick my iPhone.  I selected the regular 6, 16GB and proceeded through the process.  It showed the cost of $199 while I went through picking a data plan, etc.  When you finally get to the end, your check out total will be $199 before tax.  So...when you get there..go back to the email you received and copy and paste the info underneath the barcode and paste it into the PROMO box on the page.  After doing so it will discount the $199 bringing your check out total to $0.  I bet this is why the stores aren't aware of this.  So I've verified that you can use the promo online and I'm sure when you go to check out in the store, once you're done shopping they should be able to scan that barcode and it'll discount the $199 making your iPhone 6 16GB free.  Try it and let me know how it works out...I'm pretty sure you'll be okay and the promo is legit. 

mama23dogs
Legend

Carriers make special promotions available to select customers all the time.  They are not public offers.

In my case I got a bonus pot of data at a discount price.  Notice was by email and information to add to my account was within the email.

andymcphee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand what you are saying about select promotions to select customers. Would you be upset if when you tried to take advantage of that promotion just 4 days later that it was cancelled and no longer valid?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

IT isn't. 

Print the the email as suggested.  You got a special promotion that most customers will NOT get, and your complaining about it....

andymcphee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Loquat,

Thank you for your assistance.  I appreciate your assistance.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

No problem...I hope it works out and they don't give you any issues.  Post your results if you would. 

0 Likes
gmh1970
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am experiencing the same exact thing.  Yesterday, I received the email.  Went to the Verizon store-they used the "sales rep instructions" in the email & were not successful.  They suggested I try it online.  Went home & tried the promo code.  It wouldn't work.  Then called into Verizon.  They couldn't get it to work either.  I have been "escalated" to a supervisor.  That was about 12 hours ago.  We'll see where this goes.

Ridiculous that I have an email from VERIZON & no one at the company seems to be able to make it work.

0 Likes