Verizon 4G LTE network extender does NOT work with fiber optics. Worked fine with broadband.
LANWAS25
Enthusiast - Level 3

Brand new Ver. 4g Net Extender, set up...looks as if it's working, but it will NOT let me be heard

by others,  or get my voicemails.  On newly set up Fiber Optics network, same company...Frontier.

People can call me, but then they cannot hear me on my cell phone. 

A different, but same Verizon, Network Extender worked just fine with my broadband internet. 

It blocks EVERYBODIES calls. The service guys phone didn't work here for Frontier...my 

neighbors' phone won't work in my house, or even right outside. 

I moved the Extender as far away as I can from the new fiber optics boxes in my house. It's about 

12 feet from the ONT box, etc. 

Anybody??? It's going on a month where I cannot call from my house with my cell phone bec 

people CANNOT hear me.  

Frontier thinks it's Verizon. 

Verizon says it's Frontier. 

Help???

Re: Verizon 4G LTE network extender does NOT work with fiber optics. Worked fine with broadband.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Lanwa!  We thank your for reaching out. We have several network extenders. What model did you get? I can check about specifications and network compatibility to our fiber optics network. Please, send me a private message in order to start working it out. >Sophie

0 Likes
Re: Verizon 4G LTE network extender does NOT work with fiber optics. Worked fine with broadband.
LANWAS25
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Sophie, 

I guess I don't know how to private message you.

I just got your message from yesterday. 
I was on a chat for forever with a Verizon tech yesterday but he did not mention any other LTE extenders. 
The whole point of the extender I do have, is to increase my cell phone signal. 
The internet part, the wifi part, is fine. The internet connection comes from Frontier.

Do you really have any other LTE Network Extenders where you put a little GPS tower finder in the window, and it connects by ethernet to your router...? 
The extender I currently have came from Verizon...it Looks As If it is working...I can call people, but they cannot hear me...other peoples' phones do the same thing in or around, my house. 

My internet, is NOT verizon. It is through Frontier. 
I live in the middle of nowhere...

When Frontier upgraded my internet to Fiber Optics they gave me a new router.  Arris NVG468MQ
I called Frontier yesterday and talked with 3 different people, none of whom could answer the question as to whether or not my new Arris Router is compatible with my Network Extender. 
I had to explain to them that the whole point of my network extender is to increase my cell signal so I can make and receive calls FROM MY HOUSE.

The Verizon tech I spent lots of time with yesterday, has put in a "Network Ticket" to have the issue of 
2 way audio looked into...somehow.
That is the problem.  I can call people when the network extender is plugged in, but NO ONE CAN HEAR ME.

It happens to be a problem that NO ONE has ever heard of before...I've spent every day off for a month now trying
to 'Fix It.'

So...can you help?  I appreciate you answering my plea in the Ver. Comm. 
Thanks! 

Lāna. 

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@LANWAS25 wrote:

.   .   .

When Frontier upgraded my internet to Fiber Optics they gave me a new router.  Arris NVG468MQ
.   .   .

It looks like that router you have has a Voice Gateway built-in for voice services. Are all voice options turned OFF in its' settings?  They (or other settings) could be interfering with the network extender communication channels.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
LANWAS25
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi, 

Thank you so much. I have no idea if it has voice settings in there. 

That'd be something wouldn't it...? 

I will look. 

You'd almost think the Frontier people would know something like that...sure...

Thank you!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm glad to hear a network ticket has been filed, LANWAS25. I'm sending a Private Note your way so we can take a closer look at this together. 

-Ryan

0 Likes
Apgar

Wow - this is exactly my problem.  I have two network extenders - one each of the two different Samsung models.  One is at my house in NJ (working off of a cruddy Frontier DSL line - don't get me started) and one is in upstate NY (working off a Frontier fiber line).  So the one in NY never worked right.  Never had any problems with the one in NJ.  So I decided to switch them, since we needed it more in NY.  Wouldn't you know, once I installed it in NY and connected to the fiber internet, the one that worked fine in NJ suddenly was doing the same thing - the person you were calling couldn't hear you. 

If this is a setting I need to change on the Frontier router, please let me know ASAP so I can sort this out.  The problem occurs with all phones we use on the extender, which is mostly used with Apple cell phones.

0 Likes
LANWAS25
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi, 

Yup. Upstate New York. Verizon. Frontier fiber optics...plus Verizon Network Extender = Nope. 

Turns out the answer is that they are not compatible with each other. The Net Extender WAS compatible with Frontier when I had the DSL...Now that I have 'upgraded' the network extender will not work...same as yours...they can't hear me. 

I've been banging my head against the Frontier wall for days on end with chats and phone calls and no one even 'getting' what I am talking about. It's unbelievable really. 

I did hours and hours of research on the Frontier router...which is Arris NVG468MQ.  I also did hours and pointless hours of research on what ports HAVE TO BE OPEN for the Verizon Net Ext to work. 

My neighbor has his own computer networking business...he came here out of the goodness of his heart after I flagged him down one day, and opened every port that Verizon had said had to be open in order for the Net Ext to work.  And it didn't change a thing...nothing. 

So he took my Network Extender home with him and plugged it in at his house, right up the road. Came by on his way to work the next morning and tells me it worked fine at his house. 

Unbeliveable...he has Spectrum. Which is still 'copper'...with coax cables.  That must have something to do with it.  My DSL was along copper lines...and the Net Ext worked like it was supposed to. 

The net ext I now have that Verizon sent me, isn't Samsung this time...I sent my Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender back to them telling them it didn't work...created a bubble around my house where not just my phone wouldn't work, but no ones phone would work...they could call out, but no one could hear them.  Even the Frontier tech guy who came back one time and couldn't/didn't/ do anything to make them work together...he couldn't make a call either. Said it was Verizon's problem. Sure...  The new Net Ext is: ASK-SFE116 LTE Network Extender. 

I have given up. Frontier would NOT let me go back to the DSL that worked...even if I signed up as a brand new customer...I would have to get fiber optics, because it is now available. 

So, I am switching to Spectrum soon. 

Even wifi calling won't work right from here...it did, and then it didn't...another frustrating puzzle that I don't have time for. 

Calling Frontier never got me anywhere...even the so called Tier Two Techs...nothing...and calling Verizon got me nowhere either.  I could answer calls now with much more helpful information for people than any of them ever gave to me. 

I am hoping probably against hope that when I switch to Spectrum my Net Ext will work again so I can make phone calls from my kitchen table like any old person should be able to do without a problem...

That seems to be the only solution/option.  If it works with Spectrum, I will try to let you know. It won't be until after the 9th of September...

Thanks. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We definitely want to ensure we get this figured out. We'd like to ask a few questions to better assist you. Has it ever worked with your fiber service line? What is the make and model of the Network Extender you are using? ~Christian

0 Likes
LANWAS25
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey Apgar...Here's an update regarding my network extender and Frontier fiber optics.

So I switched from Frontier Fiber Optics, to Spectrum (coax...NOT fiber optics) and my network extender just plain 'works.'  No fooling around with it or the router...it just works, like it is supposed to. 

Go figure...

Guess that is the only answer...don't get fiber optics from Frontier if you have a Verizon Network extender of any sort...the Samsung one won't work, and the ASK one won't work with Fiber Optics. 

They only work like they are supposed to with either Frontier DSL, or Spectrum (coax type connections.) 

So, there you go.  You'd almost think that one or another of some of the Tier Two Techs from Frontier and, or, Verizon, would know that... Unbelievable...

0 Likes