Verizon Device Recycling Program--SCAM! DO NOT USE!
photolita

My flawless 32 GB iPhone 4S was appraised at $210.  I dutifully followed the instructions--deleted all the data, and turned "Find my iPhone" OFF.  I remember thinking as I was doing it, "I should video myself doing this as proof" because I knew how important it was for the trade-in value, but thought better of it because I had no prior poor experiences with Verizon and believed them to be a trustworthy company.  BOY WAS I WRONG.  After weeks of waiting, my iPhone got appraised at $17!  The stated reason? "Find my iPhone enabled".  I immediately started calling the worthless customer service line and have since requested several "escalations".  I received one email back from the "support" team, with the purpose supplying me with a photo of my phone's screen--but guess what?  No photo attached to the email.  I called customer service back again and they were able to read my the IMEI number from the photo that I never received--It didn't match my phones (Thank God I saved the original box!).  I am absolutely livid.  I either want my phone back (not going to happen customer service says!) or I want the full $210 credit.  This is such nonsense, someone in this magical "support" team should be able to actually provide customer service and speak to me.  Otherwise Verizon has lost a longtime customer and the BBB will receive another complaint (and from what I understand, there have been hundreds already).

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Device Recycling Program--SCAM! DO NOT USE!
Uguyssuck
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just had a similar experience! Turned in my iPhone 4 and got $18 bucks!!!! I am telling all my friends not to take part in this scam!!!!!!!  This is BS. I'm a longtime customer too and I am extremely disappointed. 

tinabud11
Enthusiast - Level 1

This same exact thing just happened to me!  I am beyond livid!!!!!!!!!!!!!   No one has been helpful, I am also considering a BBB complaint and will be canceling verizon service soon. 

tinabud11
Enthusiast - Level 1

TOTAL SCAM! 

0 Likes
Jem813

I Was getting this same feeling when I got the recycling instructions.  They say to remove the battery... So I googled it only to find out I need a pentalobe screwdriver.  Then stripped the Phillips head inside so back to google to solve that problem with crazy glue and a flat head.  So now only a few days left before my appraisal expires so I call customer support and they're like, don't worry, it just needs to be postmarked by the 30-day deadline.  But their mailing pouch says received in 30 days not postmarked.  Then I could tell by the reps hesitation that I caught her in a lie.  So I went here and started reading what's going on.  Of course it's ideal if my phone arrives late, for them.  Guess what...it's never going to arrive, Verizon.  If only to spite you.  Maybe it ends up on eBay, postmodernist wall art or beer coaster, donated or detonated, but Verizon will never see my phone.  Just need to replace the screws and good as new.  Never dropped, always protected by hard case and screen protector.  Thanks for the tips people and Godspeed.

0 Likes
verizonrecyclingscam

We had a similar problem with our iPhone4. They both worked perfectly and were in excellent condition. We used them right up until we got our iphone 6. They were appraised at $200 each. I followed the instructions to the letter. Remembering to turn off find my phone and resetting the phone to factory settings to wipe any passwords. I even called Verizon before I mailed them to make sure they were deactivated. I was told that they are deactivated as soon as we turned on our new iphones.

However we got our gift card e-mailed to us for $36! I called to ask why and was told that our phones weren't deactivated. I explained that I made sure they were and I remember turning off find my phone on both phones. They said they would get someone from the factory to call me. No call. Still waiting! I wonder if find my phone was turned back on when we activated our new phones. I don't know but I'm sure I followed all the instructions before mailing the phones and Verizon hasn't given me a good explanation for why we only got $36 for each phone rather than $200 as expected. If I'd known this I could have sold them on ebay for alot more. 

The only reason we continued to stay with Verizon was because of this deal. I was expecting $200 for each iphone that I sent. I'm now thinking of switching to Sprint as I heard they are buying new customers out of existing contracts.  So unless Verizon pays the difference or gives us our old phones back I think we will be leaving.

0 Likes