Verizon Services in Anchorage Alaska area
f15wso

I am considering buying a pet tracker that relies upon Verizon cell network coverage to operate.  I am aware that Verizon service is coming to Alaska, but will this device operate now.  http://www.pettracker.com/     Tagg pet tracker

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Services in Anchorage Alaska area
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless only has their 4G LTE network in Alaska. It doesn't have any of their voice 1xRTT network there. In looking at the website you posted, the tracker uses the 1xRTT network from Verizon Wireless. Since Verizon Wireless doesn't own the frequencies for their 1xRTT network in Alaska. I believe the local cellular carrier does. If and when Verizon Wireless does introduce their voice network in Alaska, it will likely be a Voice over LTE (VoLTE) network. The pet tracker company might want to start working on a device that connects to the 4G LTE network soon. Verizon Wireless will eventually shutdown the 1xRTT network and re-farm it for 4G LTE. That is their future plans as they have stated in past press releases.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes