Re: Verizon Wireless Store Locations Need Substantial Improvement
Not applicable

The fact is before they upgraded the corporate stores there were two separate areas. Repairs and sales.

They also announced times for workshops. And the screen protectors were normally done at the sales counter since first they offer, and that is where you bring it to purchase.

I have never waited more than a few minutes after check in. Then again I have been going there for 26 years. They know me.

And your bank analogy is also a little flawed. In my CU the people at the desks, be it loan officer or a manager etc. they get off their duffs and go to the teller areas to help out. Maybe you should change banks.

And in your car analogy that too is nothing like a cell phone purchase or customer service. In the dealership I have service done I get in right away even without an appointment. However even with an appointment I have waited. Its the way things are.

Car salesmen if busy cannot help more than one customer, the same would go for any retail establishment. Some places have loads of staff and they mob you (which I hate) or little staff that may have to swerve 6 people ahead of you.

Basic premise is when you arrived if you were not the first person there you wait. Be it for a screen protector or a line of service.

That is why you are in a Que

0 Likes
tunnel312
Enthusiast - Level 2

See that? We're getting somewhere now. Verizon could set appointments for people. You're right about the banks. I believe I have also seen what you're describing at certain branches, but you get my point. You wouldn't expect that an idle hostess at a restaurant is going to wait on your table. When customers understand an employee's role then there are no problems. It's up to the establishment to clearly define those roles so that customer know what to expect from each employee. What was wrong with the way the stores worked before they upgraded them? What was the purpose behind the store upgrades?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

tunnel312 wrote:

What was wrong with the way the stores worked before they upgraded them? What was the purpose behind the store upgrades?

If you no longer have in store repairs, there is no need for a repair department.

0 Likes
Not applicable

What was the purpose behind the store upgrades?

SALES....

Years ago when Verizon Wireless fixed devices or handled the shipments back to the manufacturers the space they had was needed for those duties. Then Verizon removed themselves from the repair and device shipping as well as the free loaner phones while your device was being worked on. They also sold the accessories for the devices like replacement chargers, cases, antennas, batteries, ear phones etc.

The other section of the store was smaller (sales) because first the selections was not a great as today, and cellular was in the growing stage. Back in the days I went there it was NEC, Ericsson, Motorola not like the selection of today. And the retail space was used for managers, and account representatives.

Then the company changed towards sales, got rid of repairs and account executives were moved out. The reclaimed space was now totally sales generated. Its why they are in business.

Many of these corporate stores will still do basic things so folks will wait longer. I believe if I come in art number 8, then I should be waited on 8th. not 28th. which then you and I would have a huge beef with the store.

0 Likes
tunnel312
Enthusiast - Level 2

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

0 Likes
tunnel312
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alright, that sounds reasonable. I'm with you so far on the sales portion. If you have an express line and a regular service line however then both lines would certainly generate sales. Based on what you're telling me about your history with the store and your obvious knowledge on what you're doing I don't think you and I would have a beef in the store at all. We would both be in the express line. Both lines would be treated independently from one another. Each line would have its own exclusive queue. If you walked in for regular service and you were the 3rd person in the door then you would be waited on 3rd for regular service whereas if you were the 3rd person to walk through the door for express service then you would be the 3rd person waited on for express service. It makes total sense. Express customers would never have to wait for regular service customers and vice versa. If there were 2 customers in the store and one was were there for regular service and one was there for express service then both customers would be first in line for what they need. See what I mean?

0 Likes
Not applicable

The old way worked much like you describe.

You sign in at the store I frequent it was a sign in computer where you put in your cell number and first name and say on the screen either SALES or SERVICE in fact you can wait in the section to the right (Service) and also walk around the store playing with gadgets etc. It was designed with little seats available so it is their intention  to get customers in and out as quickly as possible.

I was in and out getting a new iPhone in less than 15 minutes. It depends on the sales person if it becomes a long drawn out affair. I went to the store three times to get that fast kid. I was very impressed and pleased.

I for the record don't mind waiting in line. I hum and do exercises while waiting.

0 Likes
tunnel312
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think the old way is what I would have liked. Sounds much more efficient. If their ultimate goal is sales then I say go back to the old way with the exception of replacing the service area with an express sales area.

I love the humming and exercising I'm going to have to give that a shot some time.