Verizon Wireless Trade-In Program is a scam!
Dissatisfied_Customer
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently traded in my iPhone 4s as part of Verizon's Recycling Program. I activated a temporary phone on the line until I received the gift card via email. Having received it, I attempted to purchase a new phone to replace the temporary one, but apparently I can only do so at full retail cost. I was never told that this would be an issue for me. In fact, I expressly asked if this could affect my contract in any way, and was told that it would not. I was given the assurance that all I had to do was perform a Device Swap, much like I did to activate the temporary phone, which by the way was no problem at all - it was a breeze!

Obviously, there are communication problems between the Recycling Program and the rest of VZW. I spoke with multiple representatives at the Recycling Program, who checked my account and never notified me that I would have to pay full retail cost on a new phone. This is absolutely ridiculous! And of course, I cannot get my iPhone back.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Wireless Trade-In Program is a scam!
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Unfortunately the contract remains in tact and all terms remain in play until the contract expires. During that time you can change your phone every day if you wanted to do so and it will NOT impact your contract. The contract is for service and not a phone so if you do change phones mid contract you either need to have another phone to put on the line, or buy one private party (used) or pay full retail for a phone from Verizon etc... Once you have the phone in hand you can do a device swap which all that does is register the new MEI of the phone so it can be used on Verizons Network.

So technically what they explained to you was in fact the truth however they should have gone into more detail with these other parts if you were asking these questions as it would have been clear what you were trying to do.

0 Likes
Dissatisfied_Customer
Enthusiast - Level 1

I certainly understand that, now. And I agree with you. The program may not be a scam but there definitely was a lot of miscommunication. I was trying to prevent something like this from happening by trying to ask all the right questions that I could possibly think of, but unfortunately I was still caught in a frustrating situation.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I think the program itself is a sound program. The prople they have running it and servicing it on the other hand practice deceptive measures to change that though and Verizon has already come out and said, they will NOT honor anything their Customer Service Agents tell you if it is not a written part of their procedures. So even to get them to honor what the agents tell you is impossible.

Dissatisfied_Customer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow, I really wish I knew all of this before. However, I don't see how they can say that they are not liable for any misrepresentation. These agents are acting on their behalf and the customer has a reasonable expectation that what is said to them when they call can be held as the TRUTH. Why else would I call to verify details? This is absolutely ridiculous.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Their excuse and attempts to correct things stem from. "We have thousands and thousands of agents and it would be impossible to get the correct training and message to all of the agents on every issue" They always end it with, We will contact the Agents involved and advise them so they do not do it again. They think that absolves them of any and everything. But ultimately it is their choice how they choose to do business and our choice to either use them for service or go with another carrier. Bad news for us is they actually have the best and most reliable service which is the only reason I stay with them.

AmericanNinjaWarriorP

Totally true... I sent in my PERFECTLY working phone (VERY VERY (removed) about keeping my phone working 100%) and I received an email saying the phone would not turn on even though my phone worked 100%!!!!! I have a Verizon Wireless employee that inspected my phone before shipping and he will vouch for me. This is complete BS, this program is a scam. I have called NUMEROUS times about reaching a solution but NO ONE has helped me.

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes