Verizon Wireless direct stores customer service fail
PDX_OR

I've been using VZW for a decade.  I don't call customer service unless I have a problem or need something.

Some years ago, I don't know, maybe 2006 or so, it was good.  2002 or so, even better. 

I'm disappointed to say that the service I've come to expect from Verizon is no more, especially from corporate retail locations and I'm certain that it is their issue, not mine.

Here are two recent encounters:

Store location 1: (near work)

So, OTA software update failed?  Why do you want to update your software? If you don't have a good reason for it let it be.  I still requested and asked to have my phone flashed to the version shown in OTA update message on their PST equipment.  It was not in their system.  I asked the manager to call another store.  The response?  "Listen son, all the machines are the same at every store. There is nothing we can do for you."

So, I call 611.  Operator calls another location.  Another location (let's call it store 2) has the correct version.  Drive to store 2, update done in 5 min.  So much for the non-sense "all the locations are the same". 

Fast forward a few month. I want some accessories for my phone.  I go to store 3(near home).  They don't have what I want.  I asked the employee, a MANAGER no less, "is there any way you could check another store's inventory?"  he says "nope"

I call store 2 from a while back and ask. I was told that they do not, however that the system shows the store 3 I just visited the day before does, and that its on clearance for $x.xx; consistent with VZW.com online store  (oh what about "no we can't check other store's inventory...? )

I call store 3.  Informed the employee that I was there the day and was told that they didn't have it and that I had just called store 2 and was told their system shows there should be some.  "oh we do and its $y.yy, a different price.  It must have come in today". I bring up the price issue and when if the price is the same as VZW.com and I'm told yes.  I say the price should be $x.xx and store 2 also tells the same. 

His response?  "I can sell it to you for $x.xx, it really doesn't matter for us." 

THIS LEVEL IF SERVICE IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. 

"I don't know what I'm doing" = "no it can not be done"?

FREAKING CUSTOMER SERVICE FAIL!

I sure am glad I'm no longer stuck in a contract. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Wireless direct stores customer service fail
budone
Legend

I guess that is why I do everything online or via CS on the phone.

Stores are there to SELL. Reps, do not like to take time upgrading phones as there is not any money in it for them. That is why SOME stores have a service department, so sale reps can sell. Plus as sales reps, they don't have any technical expertise.

brendiz

Online chat is just as crappy, yesterday I was searching online for wall chargers for my phone since mine stopped working  & a chat box popped up. So I clicked it and began to chat with "Danielle' I asked if my wall charger would be covered by my asurier insurance, took her a while to respond and she said "no the charger is not covered, but let me help you purchase a new one." I said no thanks and clicked out. Then I found my insurance booklet and it clearly states my wall charger is covered by malfunction problem. I got this charger with phone a month ago & if it already malfunctioned they better cover it

0 Likes
PDX_OR

budone wrote:

I guess that is why I do everything online or via CS on the phone.

Stores are there to SELL. Reps, do not like to take time upgrading phones as there is not any money in it for them. That is why SOME stores have a service department, so sale reps can sell. Plus as sales reps, they don't have any technical expertise.

Another way of saying that, what you're saying is no difference from Mall Kiosks. 

All three of those stores have a service department

It WAS(emphasis on past tense) the post purchase service that made VZW stand out. It doesn't necessarily have the best coverage. On a local community college campus, I have almost no reception.  Excellent reception on T-Mobile.  Like everyone else, they have good and bad spots.

Some people were willing to pay the premium price for the assurance of great service locally.  On the other hand, Sprint had less than stellar customer service, but their service is cheaper.  

I can buy whatever I want on VZW.com and have UPS bring it to me.  So, why go to a store? 

0 Likes
KShaul1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, this is my gripe. I ordered two Droid Bionics over the phone with VZW on Dec. 7, 2011. I recently was tired of not having 4G service so I called VZW and they agreed to exchange the two Droid Bionic phones for iPhone 4S's (this would be under the holiday return policy which ends January 15, 2012). VZW was supposed to send shipping labels along with the iPhones so I could ship the Bionics back to them for a refund. When I received the iPhones on Jan. 5, there were no shipping labels to return the Bionics. I called VZW and they said they would ship the labels to me. As of January 11 I have not received any shipping labels, and keep in mind, the return policy ends Jan. 15. So I called VZW telling them I want to return the Bionics ASAP, and want to return them to a VZW store. The customer servive rep said that it varies from store to store if the manager of that store would take them and provide a refund. IT'S A VZW PHONE!!! Shouldn't they take it back no matter what?!?!? So, she agreed to call and see if the closest VZW store would take my phones. After being on hold she returned and said that the store would not take them back and that she would send out shipping labels again for me to ship the Bionics back. I said that's NOT acceptable because Jan. 15 is last day of the return policy and I didn't want to take a chance of not being able to return them. Also, she stated that when I get the shipping labels I had to make sure that the serial numbers on the phones had to match the right shipping labels (each phone was getting a shipping label). Anyway, I was frustrated and said whatever ship me the labels. After I got off the phone with her, I called the same VZW store she called inquiring about returning my Bionics and I talked with someone there and they said it wouldn't be a problem if I returned the phones there. WHAT?!? Did the customer service rep even call the store? I don't know. VZW needs to be more consistent in their customer service. Plus, it shouldn't vary from store to store if I should be able to return a product I bought from VZW.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Well it DOES vary because policy is a store is NOT to take a online or phone order purchased return. Could the the person they spoke to abides by the policy and the person you spoke to, most likely new or the situations was not spelled out fully for them to understand, so they said yes.

You may get there and be denied.

0 Likes
KShaul1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

budone, it shouldn't matter. If I bought a shirt or a pair of pants from JC Penny over the phone, online, or at a store, I am able to return the shirt or pair of pants back to any JC Penny store. I have never seen any policy regarding where VZW customers can return phones. Obviously there isn't any, because the customer service rep said it varies from store to store if they will take back phones purchased over the phone. If I want my $330+ money back, I shouldn't have to jump through hoops and jump over hurdles to get my money back. It seems VZW is SO quick to take your money, but so damn slow to get it back. FYI, I have been waiting for a refund from Verizon FIOS since Arpil 2011 in the amount of $129, so far, no refund. Thanks Verizon....

0 Likes
budone
Legend

KShaul1972 wrote:

budone, it shouldn't matter. If I bought a shirt or a pair of pants from JC Penny over the phone, online, or at a store, I am able to return the shirt or pair of pants back to any JC Penny store. I have never seen any policy regarding where VZW customers can return phones. Obviously there isn't any, See below for the policy. because the customer service rep said it varies from store to store if they will take back phones purchased over the phone. If I want my $330+ money back, I shouldn't have to jump through hoops and jump over hurdles to get my money back. It seems VZW is SO quick to take your money, but so **** slow to get it back. FYI, I have been waiting for a refund from Verizon FIOS since Arpil 2011 in the amount of $129, so far, no refund. Thanks Verizon....

JC Penney and Kohls and other have a specific department to handle returns so not to interfere with the sales reps job, which is to sell.

They take time out to handle a swap out for customer they did not sell to takes time away from them to SELL. They do not sell and do not make quotas, they are out of a job.

As for no return policy, you are wrong again:

Return/Exchange Procedures

If you purchased your merchandise from the Verizon Wireless Online Store or by phone, please follow the instructions below to process your return:

• Returning your merchandise does not automatically terminate your service. In order to cancel your service, you MUST contact Customer Service at the phone number on your receipt.
  • A $35 restocking fee($70 for netbooks and tablets) applies to all wireless device returns and all wireless exchanges (excluding Hawaii).
  • Pack the merchandise (including phone, charger, battery, instructions, etc.) in its ORIGINAL box and shipping carton.
  • All merchandise must be in like–new condition. The original customer receipt must accompany all returns. Refunds will only be issued to the purchaser whose name appears on the receipt. Please retain a copy of the receipt for your records.
  • Complete the prepaid, preaddressed return–shipping label enclosed with your purchase and affix it to the outside of the shipping carton. Please retain a copy of the shipping label for your records as proof of shipment. Verizon Wireless cannot process any claims, or provide refunds, for lost or missing returns without tracking information. The shipping label should be addressed to:

Verizon Wireless
    c/o New Breed
    4320 N. Sylvania Avenue
    Fort Worth, TX 76137
  • Call 1.800.GO.FEDEX (1.800.463.3339) to schedule a pickup or locate the nearest drop–off location. Please do not send your merchandise through the post office, as Verizon Wireless will not pay postage.
  • To track your return shipment via FEDEX call 1.800.GO.FEDEX or 1.800.238.5355. You can also track your return shipment online at www.fedex.com. If your return shipment is via another courier, please see courier's return label for specific tracking procedures.
  • Once we receive your complete and undamaged returned equipment, we will issue a refund. Purchases made by credit card will be refunded through a credit to your credit card (which may take up to 3 weeks), while purchases made by cash or check will be refunded by check (which may take up to 7 weeks). If you billed your purchase to your account, you will receive a credit within 2 billing cycles.
  If you purchased your merchandise from a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, please follow the instructions below to process your return:
  • Customers who purchased their merchandise at a Verizon Wireless Communications Store should return/exchange their merchandise at a Verizon Wireless Communications Store only.
  • A $35 restocking fee($70 for netbooks and tablets) applies to all wireless device returns and all wireless exchanges (excluding Hawaii).
  • Pack the merchandise (including phone, charger, battery, instructions, etc.) in its ORIGINAL box.
  • All merchandise must be in like–new condition. The original customer receipt must accompany all returns. Please retain a copy of the receipt for your records.
  • Return the merchandise to any Verizon Wireless Communications Store.
  • Returning your merchandise does not automatically terminate your service. Cancellation of service can only be done at the request of the customer.

If you purchased your equipment from another retailer, the retailer's return policy applies.

PS Fios is sold by Verizon, which is a different company than Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
KShaul1972
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the policy. But again, the store gave me the refund even though I bought the cellphones over the phone. VZW screwed up in not sending me the shipping labels so I could send the phones back by Jan. 15. There was NO way I was going to chance sending in the phones and NOT getting my money back. If it was $50 or so, then maybe, but this was over $300. What would you have done knowing that the date to return your phones were about to expire? Just sit back and hope the shipping labels arrive? Hope that VZW keeps their word that they will return your money even if they recieve the phones after the expiration date?

0 Likes
0ji

I agree service at store level is a joke.  I ordered a new phone for pick up at local store in Mentor, OH.  Expecting a short wait before completing my order, I am told that I have to wait at least 45 minutes to see an associate to complete my purchase.  I do not mind spending the time for the tech portion, but to sit on my hands for 45 minutes before a SA can waltz me around the store is a joke.  Store manager Scott tells me that he has 35 reps working and that is how long it takes.  The service at store level is a joke.  If my current phone was not broken and contains new messages that I need to access, I would leave VW and to to ATT.

0 Likes