Re: Verizon charging for services not provided. Shameful!!
N_Kaufman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sure. Agree that we have to disagree on this. Have no problem with that and respect your right to have a different opinion.

My points:

(1) It is not clear what Verizon's policy is for number porting because it is not spelled out properly and is subject to interpretation. Wonder why that is - intentional? so that Verizon can charge and if FCC or some other agency comes after them then they can state that their reps made a mistake? and life goes on as usual!

(2) Such a policy still does not make it right. Why should I have to pay when once the number is cancelled/ported, I am not using Verizon's services? Could understand ETF etc but not number porting billing period charges.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You may say it is up for interpretation, but since you have been charged for a full month, it seems pretty obvious what Verizon's interpretation is.

0 Likes
N_Kaufman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Like I said - wrong interpretation does not make it right.

I'm thinking of the following steps:

(1) complaint with FCC

(2) complaint with my local newspaper

(3) contacting some attorney's offices that have had success against wireless companies recently on class action suits. See if they would be interested in this matter since customers are being billed without services being offered.

We'll see how it goes.

rcschnoor
Legend

Having a different interpretation than yours does not make it wrong, either.

intrepidelf
Enthusiast - Level 2

The same thing just happened to me. I was with Verizon for 10 years, always paid my bill before it was due, and religiously upgraded my phone when they said it was time. After finding out Verizon charges double what other carriers do, their lack of care for me as a customer when I complained I was receiving 2-5 scam calls a day and they offered 5 blocked numbers for 3 months or pay extra for 20 numbers blocked per 3 months, and when I upgraded my phone they tacked on 2 more years to my original plan but solicited me 3-4 months in advance of my plan ending for upgrades.

My contract was up on Jan. 21. The 24th I went to a new carrier and began using them with the number I had ported. I called Verizon the next day and spoke with customer service (have the name & ID). He thanked me for calling and cancelling and said it would take a few days to port. I asked him if I would be charged until it went through. He said no, I would only be charged what I used in my billing cycle, which began on Jan. 12th. He said don't pay the bill and wait until Verizon prorates what you used and you will receive a refund for what wasnt' since you prepaid a month when you began your contract. I receive paper bill for $85.00. It said "usage charges  Voice $.00", Messaging $.00, Taxes, Govn. Surcharge & Fees $.00" Total due $85.25.  That seemed strange so I checked to see when I last made a payment and it was on Jan. 6 for $84.62.

I called customer service and spoke with a woman. She said since the port didn't go through until my billing cycle was up (19 days after I cancelled) I was being charge the whole cycle. I said I was already with another carrier but you are charging me for something I didnt use and the previous customer service rep said I would be refunded because I paid a month in advance. She said it's in your contract to pay through the end. I said then Verizon is ripping people off and your employees are making false statements or you are. I asked to speak to her supervisor. She kept me on hold for a total of 25 minutes in between her checking my bill & talking with her supervisor. She said he would call me. "Jeff" called me. I asked for his employee number and he said he couldn't give it out because it didn't matter. I asked for his last name and he refused saying it was unlawful. Anyway, he told me the same thing. I said I prepaid a month when I started my contract. He said yes you did but it doesnt mean you will receive a refund bc the contract says if you port you will be charge the full billing cycle.

This is what the contract says:

Can I Take My Wireless Phone Number to Another Carrier?

You may be able to take, or "port", your wireless phone number to another carrierIf you port a number from us, we'll treat it as though you asked us to cancel your Service for that number.  After the porting is completed, you won't be able to use our service for that number, but you'll remain responsible for all fees and charges through the end of that billing cycle, just like any other cancellation. If you're a Prepaid customer, you won't be entitled to a refund of any balance on your account. If you port a number to us, please be aware that we may not be able to provide some services right away, such as 911 location services.  You don't have any rights to your wireless phone number, except for any right you may have to port it.

Fees and charges? There were no fees or charges on the bill I received bc I didnt use anything; the bill says so with $.00. But Verizon charged me anyway, as if I used a whole month of service.

So I had an idea to call Verizon and act like I was looking for a new phone company. I spoke with Rochester NY. I asked about how it would work with a 2 year contract. They said yes, if you purchase a phone on sale there is a 2 year contract, you will have to pay and activation fee of $35, the few days until your billing cycle begins and first month. I said what about a phone at full price? No contract but all our phones are on sale. (so Verizon manipulates you into thinking you have a choice when you really don't)

I asked about porting in my number and he said, we will do that with no charge. I said, Ok, what if I decided to leave Verizon. He said, if you leave before your contract is up there is a $135.00 termination fee. I said, what am I charged if my contract is up. He said, 'nothing'.  I said, "what if I port my number?" He said, no charge. In fact, since you paid a month in advance, we will deduct what you used (depending on when you left in the billing cycle) and refund the rest.

OK, SO  WHY IS CUSTOMER SERVICE TELLING NEW CUSTOMERS THIS INFORMATION BUT WHEN YOU LEAVE THEY SAY SOMETHING ELSE? IS IS THE EMPLOYEES ARE NOT TRAINED WELL OR TO GET YOU IN THEY TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR BUT WHEN YOU LEAVE THEY TELL YOU SOMETHING ELSE MANIPULATING THE CONTRACT RULES??????? IN ALL ACTUALITY VERIZON IS GOUGING PEOPLE WHEN THEY LEAVE WHICH FEELS LIKE PUNISHMENT FOR GOING TO ANOTHER CARRIER. THIS TELLS ME VERIZON'S BEST INTEREST IS FOR VERIZON AND NOT THE CUSTOMERS WHO PUT FOOD ON THEIR TABLES.

And through this process of talking with different customer service employees,  I find out they purposely put all phones on sale to make you take a 2 year contract.

My advice is to keep calling back to Verizon until you find a customer service rep who will  honor the original agreement when you cancel and  charge you what you used in your billing cycle and refunding you the rest.

0 Likes
intrepidelf
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you take on a contract you pay 1 month in advance. What is not used after cancellation should be refunded!

0 Likes
intrepidelf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Then why do some customer service reps prorate and give refunds? Why do they tell this to you when you first sign up? Call any rep, pretend you are looking for new carrier and ask. I have done this and they told me when I leave, since I paid a month in advance, they would take out the days I was with Verizon and refund the rest. Don't believe, call yourself

0 Likes
Not applicable

Just to let you know no one is going to read that novella you just posted. Hope you didn't spend to much time on it.

0 Likes
intrepidelf
Enthusiast - Level 2

You took the time to and even replied. So anything is possible, isn't it?

0 Likes
Not applicable

intrepidelf wrote:

You took the time to and even replied. So anything is possible, isn't it?

<Comments removed for harassment and attacking another user per the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes