Verizon contracts and replacements
fnarcaking

Several wireless companies are going to "no contract" plans with replacements or upgrades any time. While I have been satisfied with Verizon's phone service I am not happy with the fact that if one of our phones meets with an early demise we cannot replace it without an exorbitant "blackmail" price. A $20 phone should always cost $20. One of my family members will have no phone for 6 months because his is broken and not due for replacement. We refuse to pay 10 times the cost for early replacement. This is one issue that will make me take my account somewhere else. Verizon needs to get on board. If they have confidence in their service, then offering no contract plans is a no brainer. I also dislike the fact that the website doesn't offer an email contact...at least one I could find.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon contracts and replacements
benevolent
Enthusiast - Level 2

You have to look at it from the business perspective... A contract gives you a discounted deal on a phone, and by keeping you with the company for the length of two years you are essentially ensuring that the company recoups at least some of the cost. If you cancel, the ETF you'd pay just advances what they would have initially been getting back..

Some folks find it a bit much to dedicate, that's why vzw started offering Edge. It's the 'other wireless company's' kind of model, they break up the full retail cost of the device ($600, $700, whatever) over two years. Sure you don't have to pay with a dedicated contract, but instead you pay an extra $20-40 a month per line so that you can stay out of contract! That's how the majority of carriers work, no contract, just a ton of extra money in the long haul. The only exception is prepaid, and well... I wouldn't wish that nightmare on my worst of enemies. Ever.

In any case, I would recommend talking with vzw about CPO options, if not checking on craigslist for a different dev. You won't be stuck with sticker price when you shop that way, for certain. Craigslist is always my go to for any phones... I haven't upgraded in 8 years and intend to keep it that way (;

0 Likes
Not applicable

fnarcaking wrote:

Several wireless companies are going to "no contract" plans with replacements or upgrades any time. While I have been satisfied with Verizon's phone service I am not happy with the fact that if one of our phones meets with an early demise we cannot replace it without an exorbitant "blackmail" price. A $20 phone should always cost $20. One of my family members will have no phone for 6 months because his is broken and not due for replacement. We refuse to pay 10 times the cost for early replacement. This is one issue that will make me take my account somewhere else. Verizon needs to get on board. If they have confidence in their service, then offering no contract plans is a no brainer. I also dislike the fact that the website doesn't offer an email contact...at least one I could find.

Phones you get on contract are SUBSIDZED phones. A Galaxy S 4 you get for $200 on contract is NOT a $200 phone. It's $600 phone you are getting for $200 under YOUR promise to be a customer for 2 years. Verizon has no contract plans. Since it's no contract you do not get the subsidized price. And the other 3 carriers that have no contract plans you will pay FULL PRICE for your phones.

0 Likes
fnarcaking

That seems odd since I’ve seen phones listed for a lot less than the full price at Verizon. I will keep checking.

Email info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes