Verizon is blocking remote desktop apps?
shamantanthew
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm trying to use Chrome Remote Desktop to log in to a remote computer (remote computer is at home on Spectrum internet, trying to use my Pixel 6 Pro via Verizon network to connect to it). The CRD app can see that the other computer is online. It even connects as far as to ask me for my passcode for the remote computer. Then my 4G or 5G signal in the status bar goes away on my Pixel 6 Pro, like it lost data connection. The Chrome Remote Desktop connection attempt fails, and the app says check with your network administrator. Once it fails the 4G/5G icon returns to the status bar. This is repeatable time after time. If I find a wifi connection I can connect no problem.

This seems to be a well-documented problem here in the forums as well as on Reddit, going back many years. What gives?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon is blocking remote desktop apps?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am so sorry for any issues with using the  your remote desktop app. Does this require VPN in order to connect through the App? Is the device on the latest OS version? Are you getting an error message when trying to use the App? -AL

0 Likes
shamantanthew
Enthusiast - Level 2

The app does not require VPN. The device, Pixel 6 Pro, is up to date with the January update and the latest December Play Store update. The error message I receive is "An unexpected error occurred. Please report this to the developers." When I switch to WiFi it works appropriately.

This used to work fine on my Pixel 3 when I used Google Fi for service (Tmobile/Spring/US Cellular).

Here's a link to post from 2018 about this.

A post from 2015.

A Reddit post from 5 years ago.

A Google forums post from 2014.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want to ensure you are able to use all the features with your phone, shamantanthew. Is this the only app that loses data signal when you try to use it? Is there a settings menu in the app to check to see if there is a WiFi only option that was enabled that is preventing it from using cellular data?-Nikki

0 Likes
shamantanthew
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, no setting like that is enabled. In fact, there are no settings within the app. It's a pretty straight forward app.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, shamantanthew. We want to make sure you receive the assistance you need. We are sending you a Private Note to assist you further. *Cassie

0 Likes
Nixaburns
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue here will you post a way to fix this issue or point me in th correct direction.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, Nixaburns. You've come to the right place for help. What issues are you experiencing with your phone as it pertains to remote desktop apps? Please share additional details. I am confident that we will resolve this issue. 

-Lorenzo

0 Likes
mbsagan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same issue as well. Moved from a Oneplus 6T to Pixel 6 Pro and am unable to use CRD at all 😞 Odd thing is that I never had any issues with my 1+6T with connecting however the phone was carrier unlocked. Would that have any sort of effect? Wondering if anyone with an unlocked Pixel 6 pro is having this issue at all. 

0 Likes
Spitfang
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had this issue for years through 4G and 5G on a LG K8, Samsung Galaxy S7, Motorola Turbo 2, Z Play, and now on a Google Pixel 5a.

Chrome Remote Desktop works as expected on WiFi connections. If on the phone's Verizon mobile connection (I tried T-Mobile a few years back), the phone's entire network connection is reset. Years ago I found an annoying workaround that if I used someone else's mobile hotspot (basically a WiFi connection) that Chrome Remote Desktop worked fine, even if the hotspot ran off Verizon 4G or 5G.

This year I found a new workaround that doesn't rely on others. ENABLE YOUR OWN HOTSPOT. Just having you hotspot running, even with nothing connected to it, will let Chrome Remote Desktop to work.

I don't understand why it works. But I do know that this issue is long-stand and dumb. Whatever Verizon is pulling that breaks Chrome Remote Desktop on a plain mobile connection doesn't do it if hotspot is running. Tried it on the same Moto Turbo 2 and Z Play (different lines now) and the hotspot workaround worked.

6 years worth of devices, various Android updates, 4G and 5G sims. Enabling my own hospot let me use Chrome Remote Desktop. Only odd one out is Verizon for why this issue persists.

0 Likes