Verizon not Honoring - Device Unlocking Policy on box?
JPS791

6/11/2020  -  Purchased from BestBuy a Verizon Prepaid - Apple iPhone 6s Plus [4G Phone-in-a-Box]

• Grey sticker that came on the back of the box packaging that reads: {{VERIZON | In order to partially offset the subsidy Verizon provides to make this phone more affordable to its service customers, this phone may only be used with Verizon Prepaid service for 1 year from original activation or until $150 in payments are received. Visit http://vzw.com/prepaidunlockingpolicy for more details.}}
  • Verizon’s Own ~Prepaid Device Unlocking Policy~

If you purchase a 4G Phone-in-a-Box from our retail partners, you should review the back of the box to determine the lock period applicable to that device. https://www.verizon.com/support/device-unlocking-policy/

6/12/2020  -  Activated $30  1-Month prepaid plan

6/15/2020  -  Paid $131.95 to account. Verified in MyVerizon/Payment History = $161.95

6/16/2020 a.m.  - Called prepaid cs at 888-294-6804; asked to have the prepaid iphone 6s Plus unlocked   so I could use it with my Verizon Contract Postpaid iphone 6 Plus SIM card.

Was told that was not possible b/c I had to wait 1 year before unlocking?

6/16/2020 p.m. – Called prepaid cs at *611; asked for some clarification…Was put on hold for 2 mins, then told I would have to wait 54 more days (Total of 60) before unlocking? Explained to the rep what the box said again, put on another 3 min hold, now this time rep was back saying I would have to wait full 1 year and then call back to have device unlocked???

So what am I missing...

• I purchased a 4G Phone-in-a-Box from an authorized retailer (BestBuy)
  • I activated the device, and made $161.95 total in payments to the prepaid account.

The back of the box says "this phone may only be used with Verizon Prepaid service for 1 year from original activation or until $150 in payments are received."

I have already checked and both the device(s) and SIM(s) are compatible with both Verizon Prepaid/Postpaid.

• Verizon postpaid cs says cannot help, must talk to prepaid cs.
  • I cannot go to a  local Verizon corporate store b/c all are closed in my area due to COVID-19.
  • I cannot go back to BestBuy b/c stores in my area are closed as well…Only curbside pick-up.
  • I have been a loyal Verizon postpaid customer for over fifteen years.

I want to be able to use my postpaid SIM in my new prepaid device immediately, and I should be able to according to Verizon’s own Device Unlocking Policy; which I have fulfilled COMPLETELY.

So how do I go about getting Verizon to honor their own policy on the back of the box?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon not Honoring - Device Unlocking Policy on box?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That does seem both consistent and yet inconsistent with how I understand the policy. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon not Honoring - Device Unlocking Policy on box?
JPS791

Please explain how it is inconsistent with the policy?

As Verizon's unlock policy for 4G Phone-in-a-Box from our retail partners, you should review the back of the box to determine the lock period applicable to that device.

• I bought a 4G Phone-in-a-Box from a retail partner (BestBuy).
  • The back of the box says "this phone may only be used with Verizon Prepaid service for 1 year from original activation or until $150 in payments are received."
  • I have made $161.95 in Payments.

So please explain how that is inconsistent with the policy??

0 Likes