Verizon steals my data, again?
keithp777

Verizon insists on stealing data, and here is a new way they discovered.

I had a 10GB unlimited talk and text plan, and was happy with it. They did away with the discount I got on that plan for my month to month lines. So, it will cost me a little more, but they switch me to the Verizon 12GB plan. All is well. Wait, where is all my data??

I Instantly get an email that I am at 75% usage of my data. I have 1.8GB left How can that be? I had 40% on my and 6GB left  on my 10GB plan, and I upgraded!?!?!

So, I call BACK to my beloved VZW. Oh, I'm told, it's prorated. HUH? WHAT? How can you steal 4.2GB of data from me. Can you say class action? If you prorate something, at LEAST give what is remaining, PLUS whatever prorated overage may be left. Not remove it all, and start from now. THIEVES! Honestly, let's see you try to explain this to us!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon steals my data, again?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Unfortunately if you change plans while in the midst of your current plan your new plan will be prorated for that month unless it is backdated to the start of your current billing cycle. They should have told you that if you weren't already aware of the process. It's always been like that but a lot of people don't seem to know it.

View solution in original post

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Unfortunately if you change plans while in the midst of your current plan your new plan will be prorated for that month unless it is backdated to the start of your current billing cycle. They should have told you that if you weren't already aware of the process. It's always been like that but a lot of people don't seem to know it.

keithp777

After reading your comments from other blogs, kaebfly, I know you must work for verizon. Please stop spouting the company line. It doesn't become you.

If I get a prorated data plan, it gets prorated at the usage point, not at a random point picked by verizon. Let's say it prorates it according to date. I have 30% of my days left in my plan, and had used 40% of my old plan with 6GB left. There is NO way to come up with giving me 12% of a new LARGER plan. 0 way. 30% (my time remaining) of 12GB would be 4GB, which I would be fine with.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Keithp777, I understand how data usage and billing can seem confusing. I assure you that we would never take what's rightfully yours.

When data is prorated, we don't remove data from your plan. We take the amount of data that you use on the old plan and subtract that from the amount of data on your new plan. Then we divide the left over data by how many days you have left in your billing cycle to give you total amount of data.

What we usually suggest is waiting until the bill cycle resets to make a plan change. If it is requested for the same day, then we make the change right away.

MarcusS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

kaebfly doesnt work for Verizon. 

IN general it is always a bad idea to switch plans in the middle of a month. It splits your buckets of data into two.  If you went from 10 GB to 12 GB 3/4 the way through the month you would have 7.5 GB for the 1st 3 weeks, but then full stop, that bucket is closed.  For the final week you would have 3GB to use, but no carryover from the first 3 weeks.  So if you go over 3GB in the final week, you will get overage even if you only used 2 GB the first 3 weeks. 

I Am interested in knowing how you list your month to month on More Everything?  Did you have it on the lines and it was removed?   This is a new change and we need to understand what would cause one to lose the discount. 

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You're not the first person to accuse any of us that don't agree with you as working for Verizon but trust me, I don't. If you don't like what I said, which was true then that's fine. But the truth is still the truth. Verizon prorates plans when changed during your current billing cycle. I didn't say how much you should have had. I don't know nor did I attempt to quantify it. But what I said was true. Your plan is prorated unless it is backdated to the start of your billing cycle.

keithp777

You said:   >When data is prorated, we don't remove data from your plan. We take the amount of data that you use on the old plan and subtract that from the amount of data on your new plan. Then we divide the left over data by how many days you have left in your billing cycle to give you total amount of data.<

OK, let's give this a whirl- i had 10GB, used 4GB (3.8). 12GB on new plan- minus 4GB- 8GB. 13 days left- 8GB divided by 2.7 = 2.96   

Why then, was I given 1.9GB?????????????????????????????

Next???

0 Likes
keithp777

I had 3 lines of my 6 that were month to month, for which I received a $25 per line discount. That has been discontinued as of March 8th, I was told.

0 Likes
keithp777

I understand prorating, and I understand that there is no way in hell to get to the number of data they left me with unless it's straight up theft. It doesn't compute Johnny 5.

0 Likes
keithp777

By your math, I should have had more than 4.5GB left over. They gave me 1.9.

Again, screwy stuff.

0 Likes