Verizon store was dishonest and mislead me
rheish
Enthusiast - Level 2

Two days ago, 6/29/2013, my wife and I decided to upgrade two of our lines. We were both excited about the Samsung Galaxy S4.  After days of researching, I decided this was the smart phone for us.  So we went to the store and the sales associate started assisting us.  At first I felt a little frustrated because it seemed like I already knew more about the phone than he did.  But none the less, we proceeded.  He talked me into the bundle package as well. 

Then they showed us the tablets. I have been thinking about the tablets.  He sold me what he said was a Samsung Galaxy Tablet with 16 GB.  I wasn't happy about having it on our data plan, we have Wifi, and I didn't think I needed to have that on my data plan. He said it was a month to month plan and I could have it taken off.

So we get the phones, the tablet, and other accessories.

I get home that night and find out that the tablet is only 8 GB.  The next day I call and all I got was a long pause from the associate who answered the phone when I asked why my tablet is only 8 GB.  The sales associate who sold us the tablet called me back and he reaffirmed that he did tell me it is 16 GB.  I said, "no, it's 8. I looked at the on board storage and it says 8".  So my wife takes the tablet back to the store and he puts in a 8 GB SD card. Sure, that gives me 16 GB, BUT...we were lied to and mislead.  I should have a tablet with 16 GB on board. 

Today I found out that there is a $35.00 activation fee for purchasing the tablet because it is considered an extra line.

The sales associate never told me that.  So, I am looking at a $30.00 upgrade fee for both phones and a $35.00 upgrade fee for purchasing the tablet.  A total of $95.00 in just upgrade fees. 

This is not good!  We have been with Verizon for over 15 years. If anything Verizon should be thanking us for being with them so long and not charging us all these extra fees.  Not to mention that I just learned yesterday I could have gone to Walmart and purchased the same exact phones for $168.00 instead of $249.00 before a $50.00 rebate.

Now I have to go through this hassle of filling out these rebate forms and cutting out the UPC labels and waiting for a $50.00 rebate for both phones. Why couldn't they just deduct the $50.00 right then and there when we purchased the phones.

Right now I am not happy at all with that Verizon store. I'm not happy with these upgrade fees and having to go through the hassle of filling out these rebate forms to mail in.  I could have gotten the phones much less.

Verizon, I think with 15 years of loyal service, you could have done much much better.  And I think the sales associates need better training and we shouldn't have been mislead like this.

Oh and one more thing. I sure wish you would bring back the unlimited data.  I would go with that in a heart beat and ditch comcast all together. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon store was dishonest and mislead me
rheish
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will give credit to the lady I spoke to at the Verizon center, on the phone. She was sympathetic and was able to reduce half my upgrade fees. Still though, I think Verizon should just automatically deduct all of the fees and automatically deduct the $50.00 rebate on each phone, at the very least. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate all of the fabulous years you've spent with us, rheish. Congratulations on picking up a couple of fantastic new phones and a great tablet. I do hope that the unhappiness of the fees, mail in rebates, and memory capacity are not keeping you from enjoying these awesome devices. While I am very glad that the representative was able to provide you with additional memory for your tablet, I'm very disappointed with the mix up in the first place. We pride ourselves in making sure the right information is provided to every customer. Whether it's about what benefits are available for your device or what to expect on your bill.

We are ecstatic you and your wife have decided to continue with us, and the upgrade fee applies to all customers that are upgrading with a 2-year contract, and getting the equipment at a discounted price. If you use your own equipment or choose to pay full retail for your phone, then the upgrade fee will not apply. The fee helps to cover the cost of upgrading your device and the support that Verizon Wireless provides throughout the time that you have your device, not to mention the improvement of all the fantastic features you've come to love over the years and innovation of exciting new services.

We do have a recycle program http://bit.ly/GGnDDC where you can trade in your old phone towards a Verizon Wireless giftward. It's a great way to get a little extra money that you can use to offset the fees with your new phones and services.

And there are times that other 3rd party stores, like Walmart, may be able to offer different pricing on phones. Keep in mind that we don't actually manufacture the phones, so retailers are able to purchase the devices and sell them at a different cost. Sometimes this might be more than at our store and sometimes less. We do try to keep all the pricing very competitive. And for mail-in-rebates, you can help to speed up the process by pre-submitting your rebate form at www.vzw.com/rebates. It's a fantastic way to cut out extra time waiting for your money to return.

Jennifer_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

As someone who had a similar experience with Verizon customer service, I can say that this is not an isolated event.  The employees generally don't seem to know anything about the products they are selling and will do and say anything to make a sale.  When I confronted my local store about misleading info they gave me regarding 4G, they basically told me they can't do anything for me until I have 6 months or less left on my contract.  So basically, I'm only worth their time if it's time for an upgrade and then suddenly they care.

If it's been less than 30 days, I believe you have the ability to cancel and I would HIGHLY suggest leaving Verizon.  Don't tolerate their garbage customer service.  Ever since Verizon got the iPhone, they haven't had to compete much with other services and they seem content with the status quo.  Don't let them get away with that! 

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

boobdole wrote:

If it's been less than 30 days, I believe you have the ability to cancel 

It's 14 days.

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

I'd consider going back to the store and telling them to either make it right or you'll go somewhere else.  They still care about getting your business at this point (they stop caring past day 30) so now's the time to do something.  If they don't fix their mistake, go somewhere else.  There are other companies that will care about your business and lately, all Verizon seems to care about is money.  I'm willing to bet you'll be happier with someone else. 

wjfp25

I too and totally upset with the service I received yesterday at my Verizon store.  I walked in with my daughter to purchase an upgrade and I felt the sales clerk took advantage of two young ladies. My daughter knew she wanted the iphone 5s with 32 gigs.  The sales clerk pushed the "Edge" program on us for an hour.....was frustrated that we didn't quick understand it at first.  When I asked him to explain further, he huffed and puffed.  I then asked questions about the samsung 5 and that we would like to see it.  He refused to get off his chair and show us the phone....told us it was over there and go look ourselves.  I would have liked a little guidance.

When we decided on the iphone 5s, the clerk, pushed the Edge program again, which we decline.  He then told us we needed extra battery for the phone....trying to explain the battery dies quickly... .which we also declined.  Then he started with the new promotional program of the tablet and 10 gigs!!!  When we refused that he started on the "bundle" accessories.  He was extremely pushy and unprofessional.  To the point that we wanted to leave and go to Target to purchase the new phone.  I was trying to stay loyal to the company and buy the phone through them.   Thought I would have more choices and help.

Then he told me about the rebate plan and it would stop today!  When we finally agreed on just the phone and he started the paper work, I asked for the break down of the charges.  He told me they were emailed to me.  BUT I wanted to see what the charges were at first.  He repeated himself and said they were emailed.  So I just said fine!  At that point, I was so upset.

We final bought the phone and went home.  When we got home, my daughter said that the sales clerk had upgraded the wrong number.   So now we had to go back and have it corrected.  MEAN WHILE, the clerk had disabled my son's phone, who happens to be a teacher and on a field trip with students that needed to reach their parents.  Do I need to tell you what a mess that afternoon was.   When we went back to correct the error, the sales clerk made us wait and they did NOT even offer an apology!!!! 

My whole afternoon was  total aggravation and then I still had to pay $30 upgrade fee for staying with Verizon.  i understand they work on commission, but the hard sell was totally over the top and his wife and child were waiting to visit with him while he was at WORK!  I have been a great customer to Verizon...have 6 lines...pay my bill on time and what did I get!   Totally disgusted with Verizon!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wjfp25,

I'm shocked to learn about this experience. We never want this to happen to any of our customers and it's quite concerning to us. We want to provide you with nothing less than stellar service. I appreciate you bringing it up to our attention. We will definitely address this to ensure proper action is taken. What is the name of the representative? What store location did you visit? Address will help us narrow the search, thank you.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
wjfp25

The store I visited was in Orange.  I do not want to tell you the representative since he could look up my address on the account.  The fact that Verizon would hire some one that rude is beyond me.   I wish I could return the phone it was so expensive along with the upgrade.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I assure you that we can provide feedback anonymously, wjfp25. Unprofessional conduct is definitely not acceptable with Verizon Wireless. And we do want you to enjoy any device you purchase from us, but you have the opportunity to return it within 14 days http://bit.ly/IeiJI if you desire.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes