Re: Very frustrating early upgrade experience.
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Hmmm a battery or an er deductible.

0 Likes
jdpenley3
Contributor - Level 1

pherson Hmmm....again I say its still under warranty.....so....why would I pay a deductible???? The device is not even a year old yet....

mama23dogs I don't know how you can even allow Apple products near your Samsung....blasphemy....lol

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

E.R. meaning emergency room. Batteries have a limited battery. It's hard to say if a battery can be warrantees because of a user's charging patterns. Get the replacement phone for free or get the battery and pay for that. I don't see why this is so difficult.

0 Likes
jdpenley3
Contributor - Level 1

It's difficult for 3 reasons:

1) I'm old and set in my ways

2) I expect my devices to work, not part of the time, or some of the time, but all of the time

3) If I go through the hassle of setting up my device the way I like it, I want to keep it that way until its time for an upgrade, and I hate FDRs before I get a new device simply because I lose all my app data if I want to do it right, and I have to setup the device all over again....

Bonus reason:

The principle of the matter. I pay my EDGE premium every month. I pay my bill every month. It's just customer service to go the Extra Miles to take care of a customer to keep them happy. Now I don't know how you were raised, so I will assume that you come from a take what you get and be happy household....but me....I don't play that game. My loyalty to a brand, or company is a fine line in the sand....Money talks, BS walks....so if I tell you that I will walk away and go to another competitor over an issue, you should want to do what it takes to make me a happy customer again....that's just good business. Now you kiddies can call it entitlement, or you can consider it me being "difficult" but I consider it "getting what I paid for".

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

mama23dogs wrote:

over heating is a bad battery

For what it is worth, overheating is not necessarily a sign of a bad battery. A battery overheating can simply be a sign you are in an area with weak/no service and the phone is constantly attempting to look for and/or hold onto a signal.

I have limited/no service in my office and if I do not turn my phone to airplane mode when in that location, my battery will overheat and drain before the end of the day because it is continuously looking for service throughout the day. This happens with ANY phone, regardless of manufacturer. Does this mean I have a bad battery? NO. The same battery lasts the entire day when outside or I am away from my office with no overheating.

Additionally, continually allowing your battery to overwork itself in this manner WILL reduce the life expectancy of your battery. The better you treat your battery, the longer it will last. Simply because a battery fails within the first year of service, does not mean there is a problem with the phone, but it is one of the possibilities.

Regardless, if the problem is with the phone, the battery will not be replaced due to warranty, only the phone. The battery is not normally a warranty replaceable item.

rcschnoor
Legend

jdpenley3 wrote:

The problem is that I would have to buy the replacement battery. This phone is still within the 1 yr warranty and I shouldn't be having battery issues or overheating

I pointed out in another reply how an overheating battery does not necessarily mean you are having battery issues. There are other reasons which could cause this. Additionally, battery life expectancy is also dependent on how you treat your battery. There are certainly usage patterns which could possibly help a batter to fail within the first year of service without anything being wrong with the phone and/or battery.

mama23dogs
Legend

jdpenley3

jdpenley3 wrote:

pherson Hmmm....again I say its still under warranty.....so....why would I pay a deductible???? The device is not even a year old yet....

mama23dogs I don't know how you can even allow Apple products near your Samsung....blasphemy....lol

LOL!   They actually play very well together, like my screen name, I'm alpha in the pack.  The key is to keep number equal.  I have an iPod touch and a Note 8 tablet.  I have an iPad and a Note 10.1.  I have a Note 3 phone and an Mac mini computer.    see how that works?           .   I just added another phone as we dropped landline, a Samsung Galaxy S3 .  So now my cell account is balance too.  3 iphones, 3 android, and 1 tablet of each kind.     

mama23dogs
Legend

rcschnoor

rcschnoor wrote:

mama23dogs wrote:

over heating is a bad battery

For what it is worth, overheating is not necessarily a sign of a bad battery. A battery overheating can simply be a sign you are in an area with weak/no service and the phone is constantly attempting to look for and/or hold onto a signal.

I have limited/no service in my office and if I do not turn my phone to airplane mode when in that location, my battery will overheat and drain before the end of the day because it is continuously looking for service throughout the day. This happens with ANY phone, regardless of manufacturer. Does this mean I have a bad battery? NO. The same battery lasts the entire day when outside or I am away from my office with no overheating.

Additionally, continually allowing your battery to overwork itself in this manner WILL reduce the life expectancy of your battery. The better you treat your battery, the longer it will last. Simply because a battery fails within the first year of service, does not mean there is a problem with the phone, but it is one of the possibilities.

Regardless, if the problem is with the phone, the battery will not be replaced due to warranty, only the phone. The battery is not normally a warranty replaceable item.

Thanks for the clarification, my description was over-simplified. 

I Think we agree, repeatedly being heated is not good for a battery. 

The young man at my local hardware store and I have the Note 3. We had shared our enjoyment of the phone and abilities.  Last fall he told me he was mourning his Note as it was left in the sun, over heated and the battery swelled and cracked the screen.  He was hoping it would be repaired.

SO, we have a phone within warranty, it could be repaired.  A replacement battery, if that were the only problem, is about $40.  Or complain and get no sympathy and no new phone because it's too early to upgrade.  I don't aide helpless behavior, it's a self inflicted wound.  Stop blaming the carrier, it's your phone, fix it.

0 Likes
jdpenley3
Contributor - Level 1

Heres my problem....

SO, we have a phone within warranty, it could be repaired.  A replacement battery, if that were the only problem, is about $40.  Or complain and get no sympathy and no new phone because it's too early to upgrade.  I don't aide helpless behavior, it's a self inflicted wound.  Stop blaming the carrier, it's your phone, fix it.

"It's your phone, fix it"....Now that's the sound of how our country just lays down and dies because we do what we are told by others. First, I shouldn't have to buy a new battery if the OS caused the overheating that caused by battery to meet an early demise. Second, I've gone and gotten the warranty replacement and I'm just counting the days until the same behavior occurs again. Thirdly, I pay monthly for my plan, and monthly for my phone....why for the love of Satan and everything unholy would I want to come out of my pocket for a 40 dollar battery??? (eBay is cheaper by the way)

The carrier is to blame here. They fracked up the OS update, not google, not samsung, VERIZON screwed with it so they could load their "Features, Enhancements, Updates, and of course BLOATWARE". If they would stop trying to rape my phone and forcing their apps down my throat we would be ok. I dont need the Caller ID app, or the numerous Vcast apps for ringtones or their appstore, or the MyVerizon app....I don't need any of their branding on my phone...I get it...I bought your phone, Im an EDGE whore I dont need a constant reminder....Also VZ Navigator sucks....putting it on my phone is like Apple raping their customers phones with Apple Maps....its a JOKE, it SUCKS, keep that crap off my phone. Google maps is better, WAZE is better, anything is better than VZ Navigator. Leave it OFF of MY phone.

I will leave you all with this analogy. You lease a car from a dealership. They give you a warranty. Something happens, the car stops running the way it should. Something in the car constantly runs and drains the battery. It could be a light you can't see, or something electrical is still pulling on the battery after to cut the car off. Now, Imagine the dealership/manufacturer tells you its your car, you fix it.....How would you feel about that? You've never missed a payment and they've been more than happy to cash your checks. You've never asked them for a thing, never had to repair the car or use the warranty, and you treat it like its your firstborn.....Now ask yourselves....is it fair for them to blame you? Is it fair for them to do nothing simply because they havent recognized their problem and initiated a recall? If you think so, YOU are part of the problem and deserve every problem you have with said car.....as well as with your phone. So keep thinking like a sheep and the wolves will devour you everytime....food for thought....

Have a great day all!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I agree with how you feel about Bloatware.  Samsung is bad enough without carrier adding their own junky software (requiring a monthly subscription no less)

The fact that the battery isn't covered under warranty indicates to me, it's a part destined to fail more often than the nmanufactuerer is willing to pay for.   ( If that makes sense )

You compare the phone to a leased car.  But the phone is a purchase.  At least the hardware is purchased, the software is not under our control.  It's always that way with software.

If Samsung would dig in and refuse to alter its software - like Apple does - we would not have this problem.  (More irony!) we would just have all the problems that IOS 8 has caused.

i Hope your current replacement works well.  I depend on my cell, so I can sympathize.

0 Likes