Very slow data - when can we return to older frequency band for better reception?
SignalHunter
Enthusiast - Level 2

Prior to the update sent to my HTC DNA in May 2014, I had 4-5 bars of LTE at both my office and home.  Since the update my phone plays the unfortunate Verizon game of seeking a weaker signal from the newly acquired band 4, which gives very poor data speeds.  I say game because it will revert to the older, lower and stronger band 13 if a voice call is commenced, gaining me 2-3 bars of signal strength, and then return to 1 bar upon ending the call.

My older HTC Rezound, which has not been updated since 2013, still receives 2-3 more bars of signal and 28 DB stronger signal than the DNA from the identical location.  This results in data speeds of about 1/4 that of the Rezound on the DNA.  The Rezound also does not play any tower switching games.

The poor DNA reception is duplicated on the LG G3, GPad, HTC M8 and the Samsung S5 and Note 4.

I understand that Verizon has done this to free capacity from the older 13 band, but it results in very poor service.  Other carriers do not have this issue.

When will Verizon send a new update to our phones to correct this experiment gone wrong?

Labels (1)
Re: Very slow data - when can we return to older frequency band for better reception?
Snn5
Legend

Though I doubt they ever will correct this problem, at least in the manner you suggest, I agree with you as my LG G2, Moto Razr MAXX and Samsung Galaxy Nexus had the same problem.  My HTC Incredible 2, and my Moto Droid 2 did not have this problem.  I had all these phones while living in the same location.  The only difference was 4G was introduced in my area starting with the Galaxy Nexus.

0 Likes
Re: Very slow data - when can we return to older frequency band for better reception?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The DInc2 and the DROID 2 were 3G EDVO only smartphones and the Galaxy Nexus could only connect to the 700 MHz (band 13). The only two phones could connect to the AWS frequency (band 4). How could the Galaxy Nexus have the same issue as the OP when it couldn't see both LTE frequencies?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The object was to point out that while I have had 4G in my area for a while that the issue started with 4G-capable handsets where the phones wanted to connect to the weak 4G when the 3G was much stronger.  Some of these phones (Like my LG G2, Maxx) did not have the ability to switch to 3G only and service and battery were affected adversely. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

You do not know if other carriers have this issue or not and they certainly will if they are using different frequencies. The fact is 700 MHz will penetrate buildings and travel farther than AWS. However Verizon only has 10 MHz downlink of 700 MHz and 20 MHz of downlink for AWS. 10 MHz means only half the capacity. If everyone phones defaulted to 700 MHz then everyone's connection would be slow because no one would be using AWS. Most phones only connect to 700 MHz only so it make sense for AWS capable phones to default to AWS when possible. So there is nothing to correct defaulting to AWS is the correct process.

My area just recently upgraded to band 4. Even thought the signal is weaker I get MUCH faster speeds than when I was only getting 700 MHz.

Also the newer phones coming out will be able to combine the 2 bands when Verizon implements carrier aggregation. Also new phones will also be able to connect to band 2 when Verizon starts using part of their PCS spectrum for LTE later this year.

0 Likes
SignalHunter
Enthusiast - Level 2

While other carriers may or may not have network congestion affecting their effect throughput in my area, I know that none of them have foisted such a solution resulting in these poor consumer reception and speeds as Verizon has. The other networks are improving their performance and coverage, while Verizon is headed in the wrong direction.

You mention that Band 2 will soon be available on Verizon. Do any of their current phones utilize this frequency? Note that this band is even higher than Band 4 (1900 vs. 1700), so the performance on this band will be no better than that on Band 4, unless Verizon installs more towers. It is the 700~850 area which provides the best real-world performance and should be enhanced to provide the best customer experience.

Not applicable

Eventually all of band 2 will be deployed. Only some of band 2 will be deployed this year. Also the 1700 MHz on AWS is for UPLINK. Most people care about DOWNLINK which on 2100. So downlink on band 2 will be better than downlink and AWS. Also if you look at T-Mobile most of their 4G is actually AWS some is 1900. They are not deploying 700 MHZ in some areas but they only have 10 MHz total( 5 DL, 5 UL ) compared to 20 MHz for Verizon. At&t has a little AWS but are spent about $15-$20 billion on this current AWS auction so they plan on using more AWS. Heck Sprint is putting 4G on 2500 MHz and T-Mobile is going to be testing it on 3500 MHz.. Spectrum is in limited supply what else do you expect Verizon to do? You want everyone use 700 MHz so it can be dial-up speed, but hey you get a great signal. What is the sense in that?

0 Likes