Re: Very slow speeds on Verizon Prepaid Vs Postpaid.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our Prepaid users and Postpaid users are prioritized the same, and use the exact same towers. If you are experiencing serice issues, please feel welcome to reach out to us directly by phone, chat, Facebook, or Twitter. CidnieD_VZW

0 Likes
nickbike1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Using the exact same towers I believe, but being priortized the same is not true. I switched from postpaid to prepaid a few days ago on 2 phones and have noticed a ridculous slowdown on both phones when in a city or crowded area (traffic jam being one of them). We often get less then 0.5 MB/s download using the speed test link provided earlier in this thread. We also will get, "you are not conencted to the internet" when trying to search for something even with many bars of signal.
     I still have an iPad on postpaid, we'll see what happens next time we get a slowdown on our phones and I have the iPad with me. I can almost guarantee the iPad on postpaid will pull in a speed test download of over 5MB/s and the phones will be doing less than 0.5MB/s. After that test, Verizon won't be able to say "everything is the same between postpaid and prepaid".
   I understand that postpaid is priortized over prepaid and that I "get what I pay for". I just didn't know it would be this bad and happen so often. I'm here posting so others will be warned. Don't leave some unpublished or grandfathered postpaid plan that you can't go back to thinking prepaid won't be that bad.

0 Likes
ei3

I have been told:  "...Verizon's prepaid plans limit video streaming to 480p resolution, while its postpaid 5GB plan does not."

Is this correct?

0 Likes
waii
Enthusiast - Level 1

never had a postpaid but suspected that the prepaid plan is a money maker for verizon without having to provide much service. people say verizon has the most coverage in the US but if you can't make calls, text, or get gps directions when you need it what's the point?! i switched to verizon because i was visiting national parks and thought it would be good. my brother had ATT and he got service and i got nothing. planning on switching back to ATT.

Weth
Legend

Verizon does prioritize post paid data over prepaid. They even tell you in the description of the plans using code words. 

Note how the post paid unlimited plans have a set amount of premium LTE data then the rest of the unlimited data is just LTE data. Well prepaid just has LTE data. The premium LTE data is the higher prioritized data.