Re: Very slow speeds since upgrading to Unlimited Plan
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is to have reliable data speeds these days. As you have discussed with other reps and community members, you can see slower data speeds at anytime on the Go Unlimited Plan. On the Beyond Unlimited Plan,  you would not see slower speeds until 22GB has been hit on your line: Network Management: http://vz.to/2s537we

Keep in mind, congestion is not based on the amount of people using the tower. It is more the amount of devices. Now a days, people can have numerous devices connecting to towers: smartphones, tablets, jetpacks, smartwatches, just to name a few. If you do not wish to remain on the unlimited plan, you do have the option of changing to the New Verizon Plan: http://vz.to/29wO7Na

Network Management: http://vz.to/2s537we

ChristineJ_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

windyridge wrote:

We have discussed with Verizon and have been told that the congestion problem only occurs on the GO Unlimited plan . Living in a rural area, this tower is unlikely to be congested, but being lumped in with all others on the GO Unlimited plan will certainly cause congestion problems. The options were to go to NEW Unlimited plan for $10 more a month or to go to 16 gb with guaranteed 4 G service.

That's not how it works. You're not being lumped in with anyone. if you're in rural area and others are like you trying to use mobile internet as regular internet yes it would be very easy to cause congestion. the only people you are lumped in with are other people using the tower.

Also the Go plan has a MAX speed of 600 kbps of hotspot or tethering. The Beyond plan has 15 GB of high speed before getting throttled down. And at 600 kbps that's only 270 MB per hour. So movie that may be 4 or 5 GB or more, yeah it would take all day to download it.

0 Likes
withomp14
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is not true. I am on a new month with unlimited using hotspot starting at 0 as they say...they throttled me right out of the gate I didn't have even 1 gb used.  It doesn't matter how much one is using, Verizon is deceptive with the 15 gb and 22gb. They throttle us  when they feel like it.

They just don't throttle a little, they throttle you so much it hardly runs just one program on the computer. I am like so many people, it doesn't seem right but we/I am dependent on all the deception. Truly considering going to Spectrum.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I am not sure why do not understand the de-prioritization can happen regardless of current amount of data used when on the Go Unlimited data plan. This means you can be slowed on any day of your billing cycle, even the first day, if you are on a congested tower.

If you do not want to be slowed then you should pick one of the tiered data plans. It is all really very simple.

We have explained this to you over and over and you refuse to accept that your plan doesn't have a limit for being slowed down.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

withomp14 wrote:

This is not true. I am on a new month with unlimited using hotspot starting at 0 as they say...they throttled me right out of the gate I didn't have even 1 gb used. It doesn't matter how much one is using, Verizon is deceptive with the 15 gb and 22gb. They throttle us when they feel like it.

They just don't throttle a little, they throttle you so much it hardly runs just one program on the computer. I am like so many people, it doesn't seem right but we/I am dependent on all the deception. Truly considering going to Spectrum.

You're not throttled except on hotspot.

Go Unlimited - deprioritization( or throttling as you call it ) at ANY time from the fist byte IF and only IF you tower is suffering from congestion. Hotspot is throttled to 600 kbps MAX speed form the START.

Beyond Unlimited - deprioritzation AFTER 22 GB( which also includes all hotspot usage ) IF only only if your tower is congested. Hotspot a MAX of 4G speeds for first 15 GB then a MAX of 600 kbps.

The terms of these plans are in the FAQ and listed on the website on the front page.

Spectrum is CABLE internet and if you have had access to that you SHOULD be using that for home internet anyway. Mobile is not a home internet replacement.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

withomp14,

I've sent you a private message. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

JosephT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
PAUL-T
Enthusiast - Level 2

Welcome to the club! I have complained twice now. They said they found something that will fix my slow speed issue, but I have no faith they will fix it. Once I hit my 15gb data limit my speed gets reduced to below dial up speeds. I range from 30 kb/s to 60 kb/s download speeds. I don't even measure my speed in mbps. The first rep I talked to just kept saying, "well it does say up to 600 kb/s". Did one person, just once, hit the 600 kb/s so they can claim that statement as true? I believe this 600kb/s is very deceiving statement. I have not once hit over 70kb/s once they throttle me back. I would love to know the avg. speeds for everyone once they get throttled back. So I will give them a week to see if they have fixed my problem, but I will not hold my breath. Anybody else out there have been in the 500-600 kb/s range once throttled back? I would love to know.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

PAUL-T wrote:

Welcome to the club! I have complained twice now. They said they found something that will fix my slow speed issue, but I have no faith they will fix it. Once I hit my 15gb data limit my speed gets reduced to below dial up speeds. I range from 30 kb/s to 60 kb/s download speeds. I don't even measure my speed in mbps. The first rep I talked to just kept saying, "well it does say up to 600 kb/s". Did one person, just once, hit the 600 kb/s so they can claim that statement as true? I believe this 600kb/s is very deceiving statement. I have not once hit over 70kb/s once they throttle me back. I would love to know the avg. speeds for everyone once they get throttled back. So I will give them a week to see if they have fixed my problem, but I will not hold my breath. Anybody else out there have been in the 500-600 kb/s range once throttled back? I would love to know.

the 600 kbps limit is the MAX speed. If you have hit 22 GB total between hotpot/phone use you are subject to deprioritization during times of congestion and even if under that, if you are in a congested area your speeds are going to be slower. Just because the speed limit is 65 MPH on a freeway doesn't mean at 6 PM on Friday you are going to be able to go that fast. For the record I can get 600 kbps via hotspot. There is no grand conspiracy. If Verizon can not meet your needs there is always at&t, t-mobile and Sprint or many MVNOs

0 Likes
PAUL-T
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am calling [removed] on your deprioritization comment. I get up at 4 a.m. in the morning to work from home. I am still at dial up speeds at that time and I am pretty sure it shouldn't be congested at that time. Being skeptical as I am could you speed test your connection speed and post it. Love to see it.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You should read the plan details and/or the FAQs.

On Beyond Unlimited you get 22GB to use on your device before being slowed. You also get 15GB to use through your device as a hot-spot before being slowed. They are separate caps.

PAUL-T​, the rep you spoke with is correct. You can get UP TO 600kb/s. If you live in an area where everyone uses mobile connections because there aren't any cable internet providers, this can totally happen. I would venture to guess that the tower could be considered congested dependent on the number of devices connected to it and not by the number of devices are actually actively using resources. If you have reached your LTE cap and there are other devices that are not at the LTE cap or are to be prioritized connected and the tower is considered congested, you will be de-prioritized regardless of those other devices being used. The resources need to be there for the devices that aren't de-prioritized.

0 Likes