Vtext messages are cut short.
kdmoriak

Using my PC at work, I sent an email message to several recipients at both vtext.com and txt.att.net.  The AT&T users got the whole text message, but Verizon users only got the first half.  Any ideas why the Verizon users got shorted?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Vtext messages are cut short.
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Messages to #@vtext.com are limited to 160 characters.  Try sending the messages to #@vzwpix.com instead - that sends as an  MMS and allows up to 1000 characters, I believe.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

More than 160 characters? It should have come through in multiple messages.

0 Likes
kdmoriak

Yes, more than 160 characters.  But only got one text message in return, not multiple messages.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

To my understanding vtext is pretty much defunct anyway. I can't say that it should send multiple messages but sending SMS through VZW it is only capable of 160 characters. Regular texts are broken up but since this is technically an email it might not do that.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I just did a test and only got one message. My hypothesis is that email is handled differently.

0 Likes
kdmoriak

Thanks. Any recommendation on how to proceed pinning this down?

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Send a regular email rather than to an @vtext.com. If you have VZW and use Messages+ on your phone you can download the Messages desktop app and send text from your computer. SMS are just that. Short Messaging Service. It was never meant to be what we have made it socially. CDMA (the type of network VZW uses) is not capable of more than 160 characters. The vtext.com was a feature that VZW had that allowed you to send pictures but now we have MMS.

BTW it has been 10 minutes and no other messages came though from sending to my phone number @vtext.com.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Messages to #@vtext.com are limited to 160 characters.  Try sending the messages to #@vzwpix.com instead - that sends as an  MMS and allows up to 1000 characters, I believe.

0 Likes