Want to cancel my Verizon service
Znyrat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not on a contract. I pay month by month, & my billing cycle ends in 16 days from today. My bill is due on February 21st, so when should I cancel my service. Is the month by month service paid beforehand, so what I'm paying on the 21st is for next month, or is it this month's bill? I just want to cancel without losing what I've already paid for. Is there an ETF since I'm not on a contract? Are there any fees for ending my service?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Want to cancel my Verizon service
rcschnoor
Legend

With post paid, month to month service you pay a month in advance so you are paid up until your billing cycle ends except for any overages which you may incur.

Depends on what you intend to do. Do you want to port your current number out to another carrier, begin service with another carrier with a new number or simply cancel your service and not have cell service.

If it is the first option, I would suggest contacting the new carrier ~5 days before the end of your billing cycle and start the port request. They normally tell you this can take a few days to complete and SHOULD be done before your billing cycle ends. Once the port is complete, your Verizon service should automatically be cancelled. I would check back around 5-7 days after your bill closing date to see if there are any additional charges. Don't want any of those hanging around ruining your credit report.

If you simply want to cancel service without keeping your number, you can just call Verizon a day or so before your billing cycle ends to cancel.

Again, make sure a week or so after your bill closes that you don't have any outstanding charges. If your service is cancelled, you will not be able to log back in to your MyVerizon account so you will have to check in the following location.

Verizon Wireless - Collections - Login Page

Prior to cancelling, be sure to print out any old bills you may want or need as you will no longer have access to them after cancelling. Verizon will charge you $5/bill to do so after you cancel your account.

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

Usually, month to month customers are customers who came off contract, but just kept service after the fact.  That would mean that they are still post-paid customers.

Znyrat
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you, so the bill coming up is for what I've already used, not for next month in advance?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

True.  Cut it off the day before your cycle starts over to get the most out of your buck.  Vzw doesn't prorate anymore.

Znyrat
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you!

One last question, if I want to port my number over to another service, do you know how long that takes? Is it a quick process over the phone? A Sprint rep said I need to call Customer service before canceling Verizon to port my number over. Just trying to establish a timeline, if I need to do it a few days ahead of time or if it's an instant deal I can do the day my cycle ends here.

rcschnoor
Legend

With post paid, month to month service you pay a month in advance so you are paid up until your billing cycle ends except for any overages which you may incur.

Depends on what you intend to do. Do you want to port your current number out to another carrier, begin service with another carrier with a new number or simply cancel your service and not have cell service.

If it is the first option, I would suggest contacting the new carrier ~5 days before the end of your billing cycle and start the port request. They normally tell you this can take a few days to complete and SHOULD be done before your billing cycle ends. Once the port is complete, your Verizon service should automatically be cancelled. I would check back around 5-7 days after your bill closing date to see if there are any additional charges. Don't want any of those hanging around ruining your credit report.

If you simply want to cancel service without keeping your number, you can just call Verizon a day or so before your billing cycle ends to cancel.

Again, make sure a week or so after your bill closes that you don't have any outstanding charges. If your service is cancelled, you will not be able to log back in to your MyVerizon account so you will have to check in the following location.

Verizon Wireless - Collections - Login Page

Prior to cancelling, be sure to print out any old bills you may want or need as you will no longer have access to them after cancelling. Verizon will charge you $5/bill to do so after you cancel your account.

Znyrat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok thank you. That makes sense.

One final question . My bill is due the 21, which is 5 days before my cycle ends, so my bill covers that 5 days without any extra charges being incurred? Just want to make sure, don't want to worry about extra money owed.

I'm thinking of just canceling Verizon, without porting my number over, & going to another service. That seems easier than worrying about porting my number over.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

No, the bill does not cover the days between the end of the billing cycle and when you receive the bill.

Znyrat
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok, so I should end my service when my bill is due, instead of when the cycle ends to avoid addtl charges?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

No. You should end the service a day or so before your billing cycle ends. You normally get the bill ~5 days AFTER the billing cycle ends and the bill is normally due 5 days before the NEXT billing cycle ends.

For example. My billing cycle ENDS on the 15th of the month. I normally get my bill on or around the 20th of the month and the bill is due on the 10th of the following month.

IF I were to cancel my service, I would cancel it on the 13th or 14th of the month, which is a day or 2 before my billing cycle ends.