We were told that we would lose our grandfathered data plan when we renew our contract. Is this true?
Hygescop

My father recently went to add another line to our account, and the Verizon Salesperson told him that as of today, if we renewed our contracts to upgrade our phones we would lose our grandfathered data plan, even if we continue using the same type of device. Is this the policy of Verizon Wireless? Or was he blowing smoke .... in our faces. We really need to know, because my brothers line is up for renewal soon, but we do not want to renew the contract if that means losing our unlimited data.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: We were told that we would lose our grandfathered data plan when we renew our contract. Is this true?
budone
Legend

Policy changed in July. If you get a new phone at the subsidized price, that line will lose their unlimited data.

You can either pay full price for the device or get a device from EBay, or Craigslist, etc., and you can keep your unlimited data as you are not signing a new contract

0 Likes
Re: We were told that we would lose our grandfathered data plan when we renew our contract. Is this true?
hskoh1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Very Very Disappointed.

I have been a verizon customer for a long time with 2 land lines, internet, tv and 4 cells.

Paid for unlimited data for years while it was barely usable on my droid.

now that i want an Iphone 5 and would able to use it, i would have to pay the same monthly fee for 2gb.

i was told they couldn't grandfather me for unlimited, but wait, if i spent an additional $500 for the phone they could. So they have the mechanism in place to do it and  could if they wanted too.

i am paying probably $6k a year now for verizon services and i guess that is not enough. I can get a better data plan deal as a stranger to ATT.

i have already cancelled 1 landline and i guess will start shopping the other services as well. Loyalty isnt a one way street.

It's a shame, when you called, Verizon used to ask if they have done everything they could to make you happy and solve your problem. i really appreciated that. You know you would have to do a good job if you had to ask that question when you are done. i do for my customers.

maybe one day it will get better again, but i dont think i can wait.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

hskoh1 wrote:

Very Very Disappointed.

I have been a verizon customer for a long time with 2 land lines, internet, tv and 4 cells.

Paid for unlimited data for years while it was barely usable on my droid.

now that i want an Iphone 5 and would able to use it, i would have to pay the same monthly fee for 2gb.

i was told they couldn't grandfather me for unlimited, but wait, if i spent an additional $500 for the phone they could. So they have the mechanism in place to do it and  could if they wanted too.

i am paying probably $6k a year now for verizon services and i guess that is not enough. I can get a better data plan deal as a stranger to ATT.

i have already cancelled 1 landline and i guess will start shopping the other services as well. Loyalty isnt a one way street.

It's a shame, when you called, Verizon used to ask if they have done everything they could to make you happy and solve your problem. i really appreciated that. You know you would have to do a good job if you had to ask that question when you are done. i do for my customers.

maybe one day it will get better again, but i dont think i can wait.

#1 why would droid vs iphone be a diff in data? other then going to lte and faster speeds?

#2 the extra $500 is paying full price, then a new contract s not required, its not grandfathering, its just continuing

try craigslist for a phone

#3 no provider currently has a true unlimted lte plan for new people, at least not that i have heard of

#4 verizon still does ask, at least when i call they do,  i always get good customer service from them, but then i treat them nicely too

hskoh1
Enthusiast - Level 2

#1 it is about speed, on my old phone it could take more than a minute to get to s site and sometimes that long for an email to be totally sent. its more about the phone than 3g or 4g right now.

#2 i want support from my carrier not a stranger

#3 in inquiries att was the same price for 4gb instead of 2 and sprint while not having and 4g yet is supposedly coming to ny in january is unlimited data.

#4 i am glad you ask that question, and you can look in the call history for years, i always treat them with respect no matter how long i am on hold or how many times i am transferred. i understand it is not their call and they work like i do.

and if by you saying "but i treat them nicely too" you are insinuating i dont, you need to pass this to a manager.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

#1 is the internet speed when if comes to websits and email. 

#2 paying full price will get you support from your carrier, as should craigs list if you have insurance. or apple care, ect

#3 sprint throttles unlimited after 2gb down to 3g or slower speeds

#4 never said you didnt, but you would be suprised what people have said on here

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

here's the deal. they no longer offer unlimited plans. what they offered you was to sell you a phone at full retail price, which does nothing to your current plan and does not require signing a new contract so that is why you would be able to keep unlimited. they have NO mechanism in place to allow unlimited data on new contracts. NOBODY has been able to do this since verizon changed their plans in june. is it disappointing? sure. i'd love to keep unlimited as much as the next guy, but you (and i) can't. sprint has "unlimited" (and while they don't really throttle, they can if they want to at any time) and they can tell you all they want about having 4g in the future, but that doesn't help you now. and ask anyone (on any carrier) about promises of 4g/LTE "in the future" and you'll likely see disappointed faces. there's threads all over this forum about customers waiting the past year for LTE that was supposed to come to their area. no unlimited with at&t at all for a new customer. so that leaves you with tmobile. they to can throttle if they want, and state specifically that they will after 2 gigs of use (although i've seen claims that they don't actually do it). unfortunately, loyalty is not a factor in a business that includes extremely high customer turnover over the past few years. since people can port their numbers and get the next best thing for cheap, they hop from carrier to carrier all of the time. there's not much incentive for the carriers to try to keep customers because they know that they'll replace the ones they lose with new ones.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

hskoh1 wrote:

#1 it is about speed, on my old phone it could take more than a minute to get to s site and sometimes that long for an email to be totally sent. its more about the phone than 3g or 4g right now.

#2 i want support from my carrier not a stranger

#3 in inquiries att was the same price for 4gb instead of 2 and sprint while not having and 4g yet is supposedly coming to ny in january is unlimited data.

#4 i am glad you ask that question, and you can look in the call history for years, i always treat them with respect no matter how long i am on hold or how many times i am transferred. i understand it is not their call and they work like i do.

and if by you saying "but i treat them nicely too" you are insinuating i dont, you need to pass this to a manager.

#4 What call history??? This is a customer-to-customer forum. We don't see any call history and we cannot pass you off to a manager. I don't think my wife, who is my manager, would have any interest in speaking with you.

hskoh1
Enthusiast - Level 2

very well put.

they all advertise so much i am sure they replace us with new customers all the time.

i have the luxury of waiting a little and seeing what happens. And i guess i will be paying attention for what is out there.

thanks for the help.

0 Likes
grandfathered_unlimit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Keep your grandfathered unlimited data contracts, people!! A $600 phone (e.g., HTC DNA) equates to $25/mo over 2 years which will save you $$$s, especially, if you want to stream video, including to your flat panel TV via HDMI cable. After another 2 years, phone prices for the similar/better capability will be lower, meaning you r monthly costs will be incrementally that much less.