What Determines Deprioritization with the Go Unlimited Plan?
MATCAN13
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want to start by saying I have had Verizon for over 15 years and can honestly say I have NEVER been dissatisfied with any customer service whether remote or in local retail stores.  I have never considered switching carriers.  My employer has always offered AT&T or Verizon phones, and I have, without hesitancy, always chosen Verizon.  I say all this, because I have just become the impulsive/angry customer over the past few months with the hidden secrets of the Go Unlimited Plan we have all discovered, but I still have some clarifying questions I would like answered by the Verizon Community.

Our situation: I recently joined on a plan with my spouse who pulled her personal number from her company when she decided to have two phones.  We mostly decided to pull the trigger on this because of this magnificent 'Unlimited' plan that finally resurfaced. She travels for work around the city and state, and is always away from WIFI.  (We never considered opening a personal line due to this reason). We found this Unlimited plan would work in our budget, and joined a new plan together.

Our wake up call: We live in Nashville, TN.  In case anyone is living under a rock, Nashville is growing at ridiculous exponential speeds with next to 0 economical plans to sustain it.  We received our unveiling of the "deprioritizing" stipulations of the "Go Unlimited Plan" when she would be stuck in traffic around the city, traveling, and could NEVER get her maps to work. She travels and has to have maps.  Any time in "congestion" her maps/internet/apps were extremely slow.  Contacted Verizon (for the first time, probably ever) and they informed us about the congestion parameters.  NEWS FLASH! NASHVILLE IS ONE GIANT CONGESTION ALL THE TIME. Reality Check= you are [removed] on this plan UNLESS you use Beyond Unlimited, which defeats the whole purpose on even having to worry about ANY data amount (regardless of what that # is).

Our reaction: Touche Verizon; We understand the "business" side of this.  At the end of the day, the whole world cannot have unlimited data, fastest speeds,  and for X amount of dollars across the board.  You would probably go bankrupt.  We get it.  HOWEVER, we are still angry on some clarifying things that Verizon cannot explain to us and we would like clarified before having to shop elsewhere.....

-We were told, during times of congestion we are deprioritized behind customers who are Beyond Unlimited, and those who are NOT on any kind of unlimited plan (business move).  However, no one can tell us how WE AS CUSTOMERS  IN A CONGESTED CITY, are able to at least KNOW when we are in a "congested" area/time to at least know we are about to be dropped to the bottom of the barrel for a bit.  We live down town, meaning, if there is more than one event downtown nashville (which is like 6 days a week), we are deprioritized sitting in our dang courtyard.  How can we at least be able to IDENTIFY when we are being depriortized and to what extreme? We used to be able to change the 4 Count Bar to an actual # instead of 1 bar, 2 bar, etc. (running a field service test would change this for us). However, Verizon does not have this feature on newer IOS updates. Why is that? My spouse should also know when she is entering an area/time her maps are going to completely NOT work.....

-  We were also told this "plan" is deprioritzed in times of congestion.  I have lately found this hard to believe and need clarification. I work in an office all day.  I am rarely off wifi.  I use very little GBs a month due to this. My spouse, unfortunately, does not have the local office and work day access to WIFI.  Thus, she uses more GB.   While we are both home, we are on WIFI.  Here is the situation we have been testing lately and would like clarified: We were at multiple local events together in Nashville over the past few weeks definitely in "congested" times.  We ran field service tests  in the same spot and NEVER had the same numbers and speed. Her apps/internet NEVER worked where mine ....just took awhile.  So do you actually depriortize the PLAN TYPE, or do you actually deprioritze people who use more DATA than others as well?  My speeds are not even comparable to hers during what are obvious congested times.  What type of customer and stipulations are deprioritized? How can this be verified to your customers?

If you are going to provide a plan of deprioritizing during congested times regardless if it is day one of billing cycle , there needs to be notifying or accessible data we can retrieve to tell us about this and how severe it is...

Thanks in Advance

Content removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Labels (1)
Re: What Determines Deprioritization with the Go Unlimited Plan?
Walk_the_walk
Enthusiast - Level 2

We're having similar issues in Gainesville, FL.  We signed up for the 55+ Senior Loyalty Go Unlimited Plan last July, and it was OK for many months, but the service level in our area has dropped significantly in the past 3 months.  

We were deprioritized multiple times this week, including at 430 PM today, while at our local mall.  We couldnt download a simple 20 MB app even after several tries on both phones.  We dont use much data either, as we're semi-retired.

I called multiple times, only to be hung up on by Ruben in Level 2 Tech Support.  I asked, as you have, HOW to tell when my phone, or my wife's, is being DEPRIORITIZED, as that really renders any data app unusable, even Yahoo Mail.  We noticed deprioritization from my back patio this morning at 930 over coffee?

In any case, we're not psychic, and I actually thought there was either an issue with my phone, or the local towers.

Chris & Doug both tried to pressure me to upgrade our pkan, which is classic bait and switch - illegal under Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, with extra issues if the bait and switch is employed againsts seniors.

I plan to file a complaint with the FL Attorney General's Office, and inquire with some Florida attorneys if this will qualify as a Federal class action suit.  You could do likewise.  

As a Verizon stockholder myself, and former IT call center manager, now disabled, I'm infuriated at Verizon for how I was treated today.  I felt like I was a hostage with a gun pointed at me by Verizon CS, who did NOTHING to help resolve my issue.  They also refused to provide any suggestions on how to know WHEN my phone is deprioritized, as well as any historical data for any time period to indicate how and when this is hapoening, and how frequently.  

My daughter and son-in-law arr both happy Google Fi customers.  Now that Verizon is treating seniors like throw-away customers, I will be too.  I'm going to take action to let others know.  I'm "GrayLivesMatter" on Twitter, if you want to join with me to right this absurd and outrageous ripoff.

0 Likes
Walk_the_walk
Enthusiast - Level 2

We will also be filing an FCC complaint, as they regulate Verizon, and you can, too.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We apologize for any inconvience this has caused. When did you switch plans

DillonY_VZW

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@Walk_the_walk wrote:

We will also be filing an FCC complaint, as they regulate Verizon, and you can, too.  

You have no basis for a complaint, Go is subject to deprioritization any time there is congestion right from the start. And it is clearly stated in the plan.

0 Likes
BRESTO47
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have just had this same issue in Bryan / College Station, Texas.  I had 16 GB of the good stuff when I was encouraged by the lady at the Verizon store to take this terrible plan.  Around April 2019 my service started being "depriortized" at those times when I needed it the most.  I have called twice today.  It went okay but I'll be going down to my Verizon store where for five years I have given them way too much money. 

I have a Google Fi phone number on Google's network of accessible service.  It has not been as good as Verizon in the past.  Now, it is kicking Verizon all to pieces.  It is $10 per GB.  I think I will reduce my bill to the smallest data plan as possible and  will soon have my phone paid for, then I will switch to Google Fi where my talk/text is $20 per month and data is free if you don't use it...but it is always there.  

'Bye Verizon.  I was so into you, but you did me wrong.  

0 Likes
BRESTO47
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there a way that the FCC info can be shared?   

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@BRESTO47 wrote:

Is there a way that the FCC info can be shared?   

What FCC info he has no case

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BREST047, we know how important it is to have reliable service these days. We would never want to lose you over this. We also want to ensure you understand your plans fully. 

In regard to the Go Unlimited plan, you can see slower speeds any time that there is congestion (higher traffic). You can read more about this below: 

Go Unlimited FAQs: http://spr.ly/6605EqYeh

Network Management: http://spr.ly/6607EqY5B

If you need to have more high speed data, you may want to consider changing over to the Beyond or Above Unlimited Plans. You may make these changes through your My Verizon account online or application: http://spr.ly/6600EqY5E

ChristineK_VZW

0 Likes