What is an advanced device?
mtfazz
Enthusiast - Level 1

What is an advanced device? I want to early terminate service on my 96-year old mother's phone and Verizon does not recognize her age or capacity as a reason to terminate service without payment of an early termination fee (SHAME ON THEM; I can't wait to have all our family phones reach the contract termination date so I can cancel all of our service and change providers). In the meantime, I am not sure which of the early termination fees apply. We upgraded Mom's phone in December 2014 but she has not used the new smartphone (now activated on a different line nor has she used her old basic cell phone since then.) In fact, there is no activated phone on Mom's line.  I have periodically checked with Verizon "Customer" Service (at which time they verify the non-usage of that line in my effort to minimize the monthly cost I pay for the inactivated unused phone for which we are now paying appox. $40 each month (just reduced to that after much wrangling the last time with the service rep). Any advice or info on what is meant by an "advanced device" so I can fairly assess my damages for what appears to me to be Verizon's very unreasonable and, in all likelihood illegal policy should someone actually take them to court regarding how this early termination fee affects the disabled and seniors?

Labels (1)
Re: What is an advanced device? I want to early terminate service on my 96-year old mother's phone and since Verizon does not recognize incapacity as a reason to terminate service without payment of an early termination fee (SHAME ON THEM; I can't wait to
mama23dogs
Legend

The purpose of a 2 year contract is to recover the purchase price of the cell phone over 2 years.  The cost is built into your line fee.  $600-800 phones are NOT FREE.  Somehow we all must pay for them.

THis is why you have an early termination fee - you kept the phone - now you have to pay it off since the contract is canceled with your mom's line fee.

This is why all carriers are dumping 2 year contracts in favor of device payment plans and reducing the line fees.

advanced is just a smartphone.   If you want the line canceled, just call and request her line be canceled.  Your ETF, to pay off the phone, is $375 less $10 for each month completed, so approx $120 off, $255 to pay off her phone.

Re: What is an advanced device? I want to early terminate service on my 96-year old mother's phone and since Verizon does not recognize incapacity as a reason to terminate service without payment of an early termination fee (SHAME ON THEM; I can't wait to
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think the ETF is more like $290.  The phone was upgraded in December 2014.  From the Customer Agreement:  If your contract term results from your purchase of an advanced device on or after November 14, 2014, your early termination fee will be $350, which will decline by $10 per month upon completion of months 7–17, $20 per month upon completion of months 18–22, $60 upon completion of month 23 and will be $0 upon completion of your contract term.

mama23dogs
Legend

Tiki is correct.  Oh, I miss when it was simple.

0 Likes