What should I do if a fraudulent account was created in my name?
notaverizoncust0mer

I was surprised to receive a notification in the mail that someone opened a Verizon account in my name.  I called customer service who transferred me to the fraud department, who explained their requirements for documentation.  I filed a police report, but it won't be available for a week or so.  Is there anything that can be done in the meantime so the person does not keep accumulating charges?  Should I create a "My Verizon" account and cancel any services in my name?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I'm not a Verizon customer, but an account was opened in my name.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You've already taken the right steps to begin getting this unfortunate situation resolved, notaverizoncust0mer.  Once you've notified our Fraud Team, the ball is already rolling to get the services ended and ensure fraudulant charges don't affect you in any negative way. You can file a claim at www.VerizonWireless.com/Fraud if you haven't already begun the paperwork process to ensure the path to resolution is completed. Without having an active device on the account in hand, a My Verizon account won't be able to be created. But I'm confident with the steps you took to call Fraud the services have already been flagged. You can always reach out to the Fraud Team at 888-483-7200 if you have any concerns about the account too. I hope we can one day be your actual wireless provider and than you for your efforts.

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: I'm not a Verizon customer, but an account was opened in my name.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You've already taken the right steps to begin getting this unfortunate situation resolved, notaverizoncust0mer.  Once you've notified our Fraud Team, the ball is already rolling to get the services ended and ensure fraudulant charges don't affect you in any negative way. You can file a claim at www.VerizonWireless.com/Fraud if you haven't already begun the paperwork process to ensure the path to resolution is completed. Without having an active device on the account in hand, a My Verizon account won't be able to be created. But I'm confident with the steps you took to call Fraud the services have already been flagged. You can always reach out to the Fraud Team at 888-483-7200 if you have any concerns about the account too. I hope we can one day be your actual wireless provider and than you for your efforts.

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: What should I do if a fraudulent account was created in my name?
IHateThieves100
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just received a Verizon Bell stating it was a new account for $122 they had my correct name address and obviously some type of verification to create the account and I finally have got my credit back up I would love to know how they verified an account fraudulently too!!

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out to us. Please do us the kindness of sending us a Private Note so we can help.

*Faith

0 Likes