What will my monthly charges be?
daveyp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have two lines on the New Verizon Plan. One smartphone and one basic.

My basic is up for an upgrade, smartphone is still under contract.

I want to use the upgrade for the basic phone at Best Buy to get a new Note 7.

When the phone arrives in the mail, I will put it on my smartphone line (SIM swap) and leave my basic phone line untouched.

What can I expect for additional monthly charges, if any?

Note:

I am not paying any extra device access fees due to being in contract, since it was switched from Nationwide 700-> Verizon Plan -> New Verizon Plan.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question about upgrading
Weth
Legend

Usually you will be paying extra device access fees. Look closely at your bill.

I suspect the device access fee for your smartphone under 2 year contract is $40. It would be $20 if it was not in contract. If you use the basic phone line to upgrade to a smartphone, your access fee for that line will likely increase from $20 to $40 since there is now a contract on that line. -- If you can get a contract from Best Buy on a Verizon Plan. You can no longer get contracts from Verizon if you are on a My Verizon plan, but must go with a device payment plan. When you are on a device payment plan, your access fee remains $20.

Make sure you understand the total cost. Since the access fee goes up $20, over 24 months that is $480 extra payments. Plus any upgrade cost, plus the subsidized cost of the phone. -- you usually end up paying more under contract with the modern plans than if you did a device payment plan. Calculate everything out, or bring all the numbers here to review.

View solution in original post

lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

If you do a device payment plan your line cost will remain the same.  if you do a discounted phone on a 2 year contract(not sure if this is still available) your line cost will increase $20 for the line with the basic phone on it.  on Verizon plan under contract lines are $40 and others are $20.

Weth
Legend

Usually you will be paying extra device access fees. Look closely at your bill.

I suspect the device access fee for your smartphone under 2 year contract is $40. It would be $20 if it was not in contract. If you use the basic phone line to upgrade to a smartphone, your access fee for that line will likely increase from $20 to $40 since there is now a contract on that line. -- If you can get a contract from Best Buy on a Verizon Plan. You can no longer get contracts from Verizon if you are on a My Verizon plan, but must go with a device payment plan. When you are on a device payment plan, your access fee remains $20.

Make sure you understand the total cost. Since the access fee goes up $20, over 24 months that is $480 extra payments. Plus any upgrade cost, plus the subsidized cost of the phone. -- you usually end up paying more under contract with the modern plans than if you did a device payment plan. Calculate everything out, or bring all the numbers here to review.

daveyp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seems like I will be paying less with the contract, however slight.

Contract: $480+$40+$350 = $870

Device Payment: $865 + $40 = $905

And in NY, taxes for the device are paid only on the $350. I assume they would be paid in full on DPP?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Upgrade fee with device payment is $20, otherwise you got your numbers to make the best decision for you.  The only other consideration is within contact you are locked in for 2 years, with device payment you can payoff anytime and upgrade. 

0 Likes