Why aren't deals applicable for existing customers?
lindak21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why does't Verizon offer your deals on phones to existing customers without an upgrade of service?  We are a 2 person family, we have no need of an additional line and we don't use all the data we currently subscribe to.  You are forcing your existing customers to jump ship to another carrier.

Labels (1)
Re: Why aren't deals applicable for existing customers?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lindak21, we appreciate your loyalty and do love having you in the family. This is exactly why we do have offers that benefit all. While you will see some deals that are specific to adding a new line, we also currently have many deals to save $100.00 off of a device purchase with a trade in. Or, you may check the current value of your device at http://spr.ly/6581DAe0t. We also offer device dollars with Verizon Up at http://spr.ly/6582DAe0Q. You may accumulate these dollars to use towards your next device purchase. This is just another way we want to show you we appreciate your business.   Loren_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

THEPACK005
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is not true.  I tried to go through this recently as well.  I have been a customer for 13+ years and got absolutely nothing from them.  The $100 off with a trade in is the most laughable thing I've heard.  My device is currently worth $170 and probably a little more if I sell it on my own.  This is not a deal, it is just giving me the market value for my already paid off phone.  Why would I stay if I can go to ATT and get a BOGO through them?

pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

"Deals" are to lure in new customers. You've been a customer for 13+ years without ever receiving a "deal". Sounds like their marketing strategy is working just fine.

mama23dogs
Legend

Just think on the feasibility and you can understand why not.

The ‘churn’ is under 2% of customers.   Offering a free phone deal is an advertising write off. 

Verizon has 152 million connections.  Any sale to existing customers is not a write off, it would be to unload old stock.  No one wants ‘old stock’ they want the newest tech.

BOGO offers are to steal customers and add business to make a profit off us, not save us money.  It also forces customers off older plans onto current offers, which in many cases, is more expensive.  In my case any phone savings would be wiped out by increase in plan cost. 

Do the math on service.

Consider coverage.  Free phones are of no value if you have no reception.

rcschnoor
Legend

lindak21 wrote:

Why does't Verizon offer your deals on phones to existing customers without an upgrade of service?

Because Verizon ALWAYS gets something in return when offering a deal, whether it is for a new customer or an existing customer. Continuing with your service has no 'additional' benefit for Verizon but you would be receiving an 'additional' benefit by getting a 'free' phone. What 'additional' benefit are you willing to give Verizon? Verizon never 'gives' something for nothing.

If a 'free' phone is that important to you, you should look into switching carriers. OR getting a new line of service and cancelling one of your old lines of service to fulfill the terms of the offer.

0 Likes
Jaysquared
Enthusiast - Level 2

Until the last two upgrades I used to upgrade my device every year, my mom didn't care what kind of phone she had.

I only did so because a good deal on an upgrade caught my attention. Free accessories that otherwise cost over $100. Or just a huge discount for that device alone. There was never a time I'd go into a store and have an upgrade and they didn't make it worth my while. My HTC Incredible was $100 off and came with 2 free accessories of my choice. My Droid Bionic came with a lapdock and 50% off any accessories I wanted. I could keep going but this next part is what's important.

I'm sorry you never got any deals or pushed realizing a 2 year exetension on the line and a sale they still make massive profits off of thus commission for the salesperson was up for grabs. After a contract is up then we have no obligation or penalty for cancelling the service and taking it elsewhere. So yes we are new customers unless they make it worth our while to keep us locked in as theirs. You just have to make it evident you're an educated consumer and I'm sorry but if you think their new tactics are working just fine yourey ignoring how they're keeping themselves in business.

This is one way:

Last time I upgraded my device I asked what promotion am I getting with my upgrade to a full price new $1000 pbone? And he "gave" me a "free" $300 tablet, and offered a discount on a hum device. These we're promotions on my account.

He also showed me that by changing the plan on my account I'd save about $20 and get extra data in the process. Basically an hour later and tired I left content and without half the receipt. That was my biggest mistake.

The next day I find the two new lines he somehow added to my account without a signature or you know, even mentioning it. Or the $100 he charged me for the free tablet promotion on my account. Turns out it was a new promotion available to anyone. As was the hum promo he got me on. Two new lines added to the bill every month which granted yes the change in plan was a good move. But when I went back after realizing A. He lied about the device and B. I didn't get a promotion I got messed over. I demanded to speak to his boss and returned everything.

After a nasty arguement over restocking fees and flat out refusal to close out the new lines. I did return everything and bought my phone full price online. Moral is online you do or say lots of things. Head into a store though and it's practically a different company, and no incentive to make more money off me the right way means I have to wait for a promotion or special deal as Verizon makes them and it's rare within the first year a device gets any discount without a string attached ruining it.

I'm out when this contracts up. I'll come back or go to a new store and play pretend I'm new and see what happens then though. If it gets me freebies worth my while then it's worth the experiment.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

mama23dogs
Legend

Jaysquared wrote:

Last time I upgraded my device I asked what promotion am I getting with my upgrade to a full price new $1000 pbone? And he "gave" me a "free" $300 tablet, and offered a discount on a hum device. These we're promotions on my account.

He also showed me that by changing the plan on my account I'd save about $20 and get extra data in the process. Basically an hour later and tired I left content and without half the receipt. That was my biggest mistake.

The next day I find the two new lines he somehow added to my account without a signature or you know, even mentioning it. Or the $100 he charged me for the free tablet promotion on my account. Turns out it was a new promotion available to anyone. As was the hum promo he got me on. Two new lines added to the bill every month which granted yes the change in plan was a good move. But when I went back after realizing A. He lied about the device and B. I didn't get a promotion I got messed over. I demanded to speak to his boss and returned everything.

After a nasty arguement over restocking fees and flat out refusal to close out the new lines. I did return everything and bought my phone full price online. Moral is online you do or say lots of things. Head into a store though and it's practically a different company, and no incentive to make more money off me the right way means I have to wait for a promotion or special deal as Verizon makes them and it's rare within the first year a device gets any discount without a string attached ruining it.

I'm out when this contracts up. I'll come back or go to a new store and play pretend I'm new and see what happens then though. If it gets me freebies worth my while then it's worth the experiment.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Free cellular devices always come with paid service and a 2 year service contract.  Had you read the sales slip, that 2 year agreement and ETF was on it. 

Devices often come with free stuff when released or when sales slow down. 

ALWAYS read the information you are signing.  

0 Likes
DUCATI8511
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not a very good argument...verizon makes no more money off of new customers than off me. If both are offered same discount on the same phone, where is additional revenue. I have been verizon wireless since they started service in Boston area. Service was always better than competition....not anymore. It makes no sense to lose 1 customer to gain another if both paying same for phone and monthly access charges. I receive a good discount for the major carriers, never made sense to change before. Being able to utilize a wider variety of phones might make sense now....

pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

You're totally missing the big picture. You're still a customer; you say you have been since the beginning. Obviously, VZW didn't need to offer you freebies to stay all those years.

How do they grow revenue then? Either raise your rates or recruit new customers. How do they get new customers; incentives. From the looks of it, you'll stay a customer even without incentives. So why would they just give you something for free.

You want freebies, then leave VZW and then eventually they will realize they need to give existing customers freebies also. Until that happens in droves, it's status quo.

Tags (1)