Re: Why aren't deals applicable for existing customers?
mama23dogs
Legend

boringusername wrote:

A lot of these same people that are against deals for news customers only will switch carrier and as a new customer happily take deals that are for new customers only. Suddenly their distain for new customer deals go away. What's the word I'm looking for? hypocrisy. If one is truly against new customer deals they would refuse them should they become a customers themselves.

What part of this thread is “against deals for new customers”.  No one is campaigning against that.  What the OP and others want and the topic is:  “ existing customers want the same deal . . . “.   

Glad you aimed it at me.  I’ve done the switch between Verizon and At&t.  And neither time was the switch offer or BOGO phone offer taken.   It provided me no benefit to use either as we own out phones.    We dont buy through the carrier.  The last “branded” phone I bought through Best Buy, $400 off the top with trade in, paid off the following month.  The only perk I took, was waived activation fees and a data promotion to switch.  Which didn’t take A thing from the carrier, but was a nice gesture to get me back. 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Obsidian2222 wrote:

Exactly. The other thing people completely miss is that in previous plans, before the bring your own phone idea spread, everything was all integrated into 1 charge. Originally you had your plan, plus the simple charge of $5 for each additional line added. When smart phones hit they took a huge advantage of this. They separated the lines from the plan. Now showing the line access fee of $40 per smart phone and $20? for non. They did this to combat people adding a line to get an additional upgrade for only $5 a month. Then the byop idea hit and they separated it out even more, supposedly so people could bring their phone and not pay the $40 subsidized phone line fee. All of this happened and the plans stayed at the same price, unless you hit 2 years and were off contract (you then had to call in and tell them so they would reduce that line access fee to $20). This meant that they were charging us 20 a month times 24 (so $480 for the "free" phone every 2 years).

After you take that all in, that means our plans (back then) supposedly had an extra $240 per phone/per year added in. But somehow my account with 4 phones (all paid off) costs the same now as it did then. So they could eat $2,000 every 2 years for me then, but now they can't do anything? That's before you get to the unlimited plans and each phone line costs $40 - $80 (regardless of the type of phone, or data that will be used).

It comes down to this. The data I use now is no different than then. The phones cost more, but they had changed the "free" to $100 - $300 fees (once they became more expensive). Even with the higher cost phones, in which those fees could have just gone to 400, 500 etc, it doesn't make sense because now we get nothing. We pay the same (or more) and have to pay full price for all our phones. So $480 per two years = $0 now with no additional benefit.

All that assumes there have been no changes on the carrier side.  During the 20 year span you’re covering, the big old analog phones for talk only, became digital.  In the last 10 years, talk and text, then data.  Then smartphones  with 2g data.   Plans with limited calls and added text packages that charged overage, changed to unlimited talk and text, capped data with big data overages charges.  The change in data speeds to 3G, 4G, then LTE. 

Then things started to blow up.  People dropped landlines for cell only.  57% last time I looked have no landline, cell only.   The number of cell phones and demand for data rose exponentially In a relatively short time.  US customers used twice as much data in 2014 as they had in 2013. 

During this time carriers had to constantly predict, adapt and grow their network to accommodate these demands.  It all cost money.   It’s not like the built a big network in the 90’s and we grew into it. 

And unless you have blinders on, you see all the 5g news, and carriers are preparing, have BEEN, preparing for 4 years.  They know it’s going to cost more to install and run, and we will see old plans increase in price.  (Why do you think they dumped contracts?).  They keep restructuring new plans, making them slightly more expensive. 

Rather than follow the sheep paying the ever increasing fruit phone prices every 2 years like a zombie, I went a different way and made it work for me.   And if you all stop buying from carriers, stop financing, stop locking yourself  in for 2+ years, you will have a lower bill and fewer complaints. 

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

mama23dogs wrote:

boringusername wrote:

A lot of these same people that are against deals for news customers only will switch carrier and as a new customer happily take deals that are for new customers only. Suddenly their distain for new customer deals go away. What's the word I'm looking for? hypocrisy. If one is truly against new customer deals they would refuse them should they become a customers themselves.

What part of this thread is “against deals for new customers”. No one is campaigning against that. What the OP and others want and the topic is: “ existing customers want the same deal . . . “.

Glad you aimed it at me. I’ve done the switch between Verizon and At&t. And neither time was the switch offer or BOGO phone offer taken. It provided me no benefit to use either as we own out phones. We dont buy through the carrier. The last “branded” phone I bought through Best Buy, $400 off the top with trade in, paid off the following month. The only perk I took, was waived activation fees and a data promotion to switch. Which didn’t take A thing from the carrier, but was a nice gesture to get me back.

I've seen PLENTY of posts here and on reddit where people complain about how "loyal" customers should get deals instead of new customers

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are heartbroken to know you feel this way, we know how important it is to know the options for international use and we would love to review the details with you. Are you interested in the options for international travel or international long distance?

Paloma_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JENHAR22

I had the same question. I contacted Verizon last week. Despite the fact that I've been a customer of their for about 20 years, I have four lines with them. I was told by a representative that they rarely, if at all, offer promotions to those that are loyal and have paid them. I understand business and I understand marketing for new customers. I also under stand customer retention and they suck at it. They would rather market towards someone who may or may not take advantage of their promotions or that may or may not remain a customer in the long term. I was told I could purchase a device elsewhere and bring it over. Before I do that I'll switch companies. I hope their new customers work out for them, remain loyal as I have. In the meantime they're losing customer retention, which is one of the stupidest strategies ever. I have four lines with them that I was preparing to upgrade then I realized what they were doing and that they're standing firm behind it.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Verizon just finished a sale recently that started on Black Friday.  No new line, no trade in required, and anywhere from $200 to $400 off a new phone.  I see trade in deals all the time. 

0 Likes
JENHAR22

I'm aware. We weren't eligible for an upgrade at that time. One customer or even 100 makes zero difference to them. I'm aware of what promotions they have and that supposedly if I check each day there could be more. It says a lot when the customer service rep agrees and feels the same. Even tells you how you can purchase elsewhere, the best way to do it.

FYI - cancel your service. Purchase phone elsewhere, such as best buy. They do have promotions on iPhones and you can even pay monthly as you do with Verizon. Then you are a new customer starting a new line. TAA-DAA! You get all the benefits that the new people do. Problem solved.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Not eligible 3 weeks ago?   Just pay off your previous phones, poof!  You’re instantly eligible. 

This is why contracts were bad and installments are great.  You can always upgrade.  Even on Verizon’s restrictive upgrade programs, you just pay off and sell the phones. 

0 Likes
JENHAR22

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I've been in contact with the corporate office through out the day. They are working to help me. I do agree and prefer the installments to contracts.

0 Likes
DACtor
Enthusiast - Level 1

Really $100 off while new customers get BOGO free?!?!? You are showing how much you don't appreciate our continued business. 

0 Likes