Why can I get a SIM card free on-line but not from a Verizon store?
OLDETOMMCATA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought an unlocked Galaxy S7 and I was going to use the SIM card form my Galaxy S5 but it was the wrong size. The Verizon Wireless web site states that I can get the correct SIM card free of charge in two business days if ordered before 11 PM. Well, it was 11:15 PM on a Wednesday night, so the SIM card wouldn't arrive until Monday. According to the Verizon Wireless website, my other two options are to pay for overnight shipping or go to a Verizon store. Since I would have to enter the IMEI number online to order one, I wrote the number down and went to the Verizon store in Fuquay Varina, NC. I was told at the store that I cannot get the card without the phone being present. WHY? This makes no sense. If I provide the same information in person that I do online, why can I not get the same service?  This is a corporate store, not an authorized dealer. I have been a customer for years. My account is current and I have never been late with a payment. I provided the phone number for the phone I am replacing. I had the IMEI number, which is all that is needed to get a SIM card online. I even have a state issued photo ID (and I do appreciate them asking for it), but NO was their answer. If this is Verizon policy, why didn't the website state so? The only reason I drove 10 miles was to get the card earlier than it would arrive if I ordered it.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can I get a SIM card free on-line but not from a Verizon store?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the store reps to process the "free" purchase of the SIM card, they need to activate it within the store. Therefore you need to have a phone available for them to use for the activation.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why could you bring the S7 phone with you? Otherwise you would have needed to bring a nano to micro SIM card adapter so they could activate the card with you Galaxy s5.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Your title is misleading.  You can get free SIM card online or at corporate Verizon store.  Your title should be Why do I need my ohine in order to get a SIM from a store. 

0 Likes
OLDETOMMCATA
Enthusiast - Level 2

Weth,

I agree that you title is more concise... I don't see any way to edit the title I have. As for it being misleading, not really, I wasn't able to get the SIM and the point is "Why do I need my phone in order to get a SIM from the store"

0 Likes
OLDETOMMCATA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I could have brought the phone with me if I had known. The website states that you can get a SIM from their store. It doesn't say anything about bringing the phone. And no adapter is needed, the S7 uses the nano. As for activating the phone, I can do that online...

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the store reps to process the "free" purchase of the SIM card, they need to activate it within the store. Therefore you need to have a phone available for them to use for the activation.

OLDETOMMCATA
Enthusiast - Level 2

So why doesn't the web site say that? If the website had stated "bring your phone when you go to this store" it would be completely different. Still wouldn't make sense, but at least we would know what to expect.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

They probably could add that information to the 4G LTE SIM card FAQs. However you could have also asked the question in the forum prior to going to the store. I for one, have experienced getting a new SIM card from the store.  I brought my BYOD phone with me and walked out with an activated phone. 

0 Likes
anthonyc_vzw
Verizon Employee

I apologize for the inconvenience this matter caused you, OLDETOMMCATA. I appreciate your feedback very much and we are always looking for ways to improve our customers’ overall experience. I will be sure to lift this up to leadership. Did you ultimately get the SIM card and activate the phone? I want to ensure everything gets resolved. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

AnthonyC_vzw

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
OLDETOMMCATA
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, it arrived as promised on the website - phone is up and running. Still irritated that the web site doesn't say "take your phone and go to the listed store"