Why did I get locked into a new contract just for switching plans? Device was already paid for.
VZ_Expat

I've been a customer for nearly 20 years.

I was on a month-to-month "grandfathered" unlimited data plan (month-to-month, always buying my own devices).

I called Verizon to switch to the smallest plan available to maintain my phone number. I'm overseas and just wanted to stay a Verizon customer and keep my number for the minimum minutes possible and no data. They stuck me on a plan that still costs me $50-$100 per month. After 6 months of paying this for 0 minutes of talk and of 0GB of data actually used, you're now trying to charge me $175 to cancel.

I'm of course going to return to the states when I'm done overseas. This experience is leaving a VERY bad taste in my mouth, making me think twice about every returning to Verizon.

Let's get to the heart of it:

The $175 cancellation fee is to recoup, what:

1) Device Fees? NO. I haven't had a subsidized device for many years.

2) Subsidized month-to-month contract costs? NO. I've been paying 6 months for a service that's gone entirely unused.

3) Any sunk costs by Verizon at all? NO. Not a thing.

You're shooting down decades of goodwill.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why did I get locked into a new contract just for switching plans? Device was already paid for.
Weth
Legend

You agreed to a plan that had a 12 month minimum. What do you think that meant? It doesn't really need justification if that is what you agree to.

You also state the plan has a cost of $50-$100 a month - what is that. The plan has a price, not a range. A little bit of research would show you could have gotten a 2GB Verizon Plan for $55 (I even think there is a 5 GB plan for $55 single line if you call). In either case no overage, unlimited calls and text. And no extension of contract as it is a regular plan and not a special loyalty plan.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Why did I get locked into a new contract just for switching plans? Device was already paid for.
VZ_Expat

Other posts in the Verizon Community have indicated that changing plans DOES NOT create a new contract.

Will I Be Entered Into A Contract If I Change Plans?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is it possible they gave you a loyalty plan to keep you as a customer? Loyalty Plans usually have a one year contract associated with them. That is where the ETF is coming from.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mflandshark
Contributor - Level 3

I agree with what Ann154​ said it sounds like they put you on a low cost loyalty plan which would put you on a contract.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello VZ_Expat,

Your 20 years of loyalty has meant the world to us. The last thing we want is to see you leave our family. When you look at your bill, what is the exact plan you are on? How many active lines do you have?

ChristopherM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
VZ_Expat

ChristopherM_VZW:

I appreciate you reaching out:

I was on a "grandfathered" unlimited data plan. When I'd spoken to a rep to get my line switched, per the rep on the phone, the cheapest way for me to keep my line was, apparently, "Unlimited Talk & Text & 1GB." There were no options that didn't have any data, and that was that.

The plan had a minimum term of 12 months, despite it being a downgrade from the plan Verizon had long hoped I'd switch from. I'm international, but was put into a plan with unlimited minutes (that I couldn't use internationally), unlimited texts (that I couldn't use internationally) and 1GB of data (that I couldn't use internationally). I know now that there were lots of better options to hold onto my number. 

Now I'm told that I'll get to pay $175 for the privilege of leaving a poorly-fitted plan, and just feel burned.

I've already canceled, so I'm not sure if there's anything left to do. I'd spoken to two representatives that either didn't understand or chose not to care.

Phone: (xxx) xxx-4511

Account: 38xxxx983-00xx1

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

VZ_Expat wrote:

{snip}

the cheapest way for me to keep my line was, apparently, "Unlimited Talk & Text & 1GB." There were no options that didn't have any data, and that was that.

The plan had a minimum term of 12 months, {snip}

That is the contract.  You cancelled after 6 months according to your original post in this thread.  That is means there is an Early Termination Fee you are obligated to pay which is the $175 you have been charged.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
VZ_Expat

Yes, Ann. That's the literal, obvious reason.

What I'm asking is how do you justify locking someone into a contract for transferring to an inferior plan?

To reiterate, in case you missed it:

Let's get to the heart of it:

The $175 cancellation fee is to recoup, what:

1) Device Fees? NO. I haven't had a subsidized device for many years.

2) Subsidized month-to-month contract costs? NO. I've been paying 6 months for a service with unlimited minutes (that I couldn't use), unlimited texts (that I couldn't use) and 1GB of data (that I couldn't use).

3) Any sunk costs by Verizon at all? NO. Not a thing.

The point is nearly moot, as since posting, I've already cancelled the ill-fitted plan and left Verizon.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The point is you AGREED to change to a "loyalty" plan that has a contract.  You are responsible for agreeing to the change.  You are responsible for the ETF.  You could have said no then and not had the ETF.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You agreed to a plan that had a 12 month minimum. What do you think that meant? It doesn't really need justification if that is what you agree to.

You also state the plan has a cost of $50-$100 a month - what is that. The plan has a price, not a range. A little bit of research would show you could have gotten a 2GB Verizon Plan for $55 (I even think there is a 5 GB plan for $55 single line if you call). In either case no overage, unlimited calls and text. And no extension of contract as it is a regular plan and not a special loyalty plan.

0 Likes